Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Landlord not replying to emails and phone calls.

• 02-05-2022 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

What I could do if Landlord is not replying to emails and phone calls.

I moved to an apartment 7 weeks ago. Got 2 keys, asked for 3 more. Still no extra keys. Also the landlord refused to make extra keys for the postbox (i got only one key for the postbox).

Also there were other issues in the apartment that were not resolved (landlord promised to resolve it weeks ago).

It is only about small things, overall apartment is good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Dublinandy3

Just make your own, 2 is enough, likewise 1 for postbox.

Easiest option, and fastest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Sorry… 5 keys???

• Registered Users Posts: 22,222 ✭✭✭✭endacl

2 isn’t enough if there are 5 people living there. Or 4 and a spare. Handy to have a spare post box key too, in case it goes missing.

If they’re security keys they can only be cut by a particular locksmith, at the request of the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 zkaro

Yes, 2 adults and 3 kids.

Lease agreement stated that we are not allowed to make keys ourselves. And we probably can't, as keyset is a combination of metal key (from apartment) and electronic one (for building front door).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Just leave the key for the post box at a location in the house. I cannot see a reason for more than 1 post box key.

Is the house let to 5 people or let to 1 who sublets? Either way I cannot see any reason that you can't get a few keys cut. If it is really an issue give the €10 receipt to the landlord and ask for a refund.

Bear is mind that the landlord can evict for any reason in the first 6 months* so you are essentially in a period of probation. For €10 I would swallow the cost given the state of the rental market.

*this used to be the case anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,657 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You have keys for the adults.

How old are the kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

a door key for each person and one for the box suffice... i do agree ne is being stingy as only a couple of €€€

Back to my original problem: landlord is not replying to emails and phone. What could I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,072 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They could be dead or seriously ill, if you have the surname check RIP.ie for recent deaths.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

File a complaint with RTB. They are the body that mediate between landlords and tenants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Try to get your own keys cut and ask the building management company or caretaker if they can get you key fobs for the front door. Can you source the same fobs and get the caretaker program them or add them to the door entry system. I know it goes against your lease but your LL is being an ass.

If you need to talk to them, don't pay next months rent into their bank acc and ask them to come around to collect it give them advanced notice if you need to. Use whatsapp so you can see if they read the message and invent a problem with your bank of you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Deeec

Why don't you send an email/message to them requesting permission to get keys cut. They are likely to say yes to this rather than have the hassle of doing it themselves. Being perfectly honest you seem to be creating an issue out of something that's a non issue.

Being honest 5 keys is alot to ask for an apartment. What ages are the kids - do they really all need their own key. They only need their own key if they are adults. There is no way he/she will give extra keys so kids can be home alone due to safety. Growing up I never had my own key - parents just gave me their key if I needed it on that day. Looking for extra keys for the postbox is ridiculous. You are at risk of giving the landlord the impression that you potentially could be a moaner problem tenent.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do you have the landlord's address? Write to them.

If you don't have their address, you can ask the RTB for it.

Ok, so I was talking to Letting agent, which is different thing than a Landlord...

Not paying would be a totally wrong way of handling conflict, as it will escalate it instead of reducing.

In the letting agreement there is just name of the landlord, without address or contact details. I googled the name, but it is office in the building, and no any contacts searchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ask letting agent to contact landlord, by post if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Deeec

If there is a letting agent then thats who you communicate with not the landlord. Dont hound the landlord on this. The letting agent is responsible for sorting out this issue ( if indeed it is an issue because you still havent confirmed if your kids are adults ). No wonder the landlord is not communicating with you 🤔

Advertisement