Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did HR get to be so well paid?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Christine Neville

@jackboy I have heard some laughable things from HR after interviewing people. Probably the best was after a company I worked with were interviewing for a scientist. HR rejected some candidates because they came across too intelligent in the interviews and intelligent people are ‘weird’.

So you overheard two people having this conversation? Was it a case of "he was a bit weird", or was it "he was so intelligent, that's weird". That candidate wouldn't be discussing the technical stuff of their job with HR anyway so I don't know how it was that they demonstrated such intelligence.

I always got the impression that HR frown upon answers that aren't scripted, as they would see this as not being prepared. Even though it could well be the case that someone who hasn't prepared for such a question could well give a great answer if it came from the heart. But be it a good answer or not, the HR person will still know that it's an extemporised answer, and may see it as them not having bothered preparing??

• The most ignorant, intellectually challenged people with the poorest people skills in my experience work in HR.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

My experience of HR is that they have very little to do.

So when something happens that they are dragged in to it becomes “a big deal”.

Most people I know in management positions hold them in complete and utter contempt.

Comapny I work for, they seem to do very little apart from recruit and finalise payroll which all the info is handed to them by managers.

They work in a separate location to the vast majority of the rest of the employees, only get called about serious disciplinary issues, and do little else bar the old trick of sending out emails to look important/busy.

And their ability to help recruit the right people is dreadful as they have no idea what’s really needed on the floor which they have almost zero interaction with.

Post edited by Zebra3 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Motivator

In my current job the HR team is made up of two women. One is an absolute star, always looking out for people and checking in to see how they are. She’s wasted in the job and her calling is in some sort of therapists role.

The other woman is an absolute viper. She’s known as Harvey Dent (two face) in the offices. She’s basically a mole for the CEO and will do everything in her power to screw people and catch people out. At one of the Christmas parties a few years ago she brought two bottles of non alcoholic wine to the hotel earlier in the day and had them serve it to her at the table. She acted drunk for the night and it was only copped when one of the young lads working in the hotel tipped off one of the lads we worked with.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭gladvimpaker

I've seen it, people in powerful positions acting the clown and gaining people's trust, getting all the information from people on the floor at the staff barbeque or Christmas party and running to the hierarchy.

Harvey Dent lol haven't heard a good nick name like that in years, reminds me of a guy we used to call Bert Racoon :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭chrissb8

HR works with large, big organisations. It is very much needed in that case, as there is constant hiring, labour issues etc. Then it's important as a function to the business, such as the Civil service for example.

Otherwise, just get an HR agency to do any of the documentation etc. Then let the managers of different areas of a business hire their own people and curate the job specs. Sick and tired of seeing over 20 technology requirements for advertised IT-related roles. Clearly written by HR who have no F'ing clue as to what is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

Actually it's a choice. No Union means more HR staff to directly engage with staff. Unions are often part of a HR strategy in businesses to simplify engagement on pay negotiations etc. Better have employees to pay for their own HR to collectively negotiate conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Shiok

Should anyone wish to join my anonymous HR support group, a safe place to reflect on what type of developmental trauma could have possibly led us to collectively pursue a career in one of the most vilified professions in Ireland, I am available.

Suggesting we invite the likes of Leena Nair (HR Unilever to CEO Chanel) & Mary Barra (HR GM to CEO GM) as keynote speakers and discuss what we have always wanted to say such as the 10 worst examples of emotional intelligence you have witnessed in May. The OP has kindly provided a starting point - forming opinions based on a story his / her daddy told them, thinly veiled sexist comments and feeling resentment towards someone full-stop but particularly over a very misjudged perception of power.

Post edited by Shiok on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

In a previous company the non-management level HR staff had the title ‘HR Partners’ for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

@[Deleted User] Performance reviews tend to be monitored by HR, so they control the hiring, firing, and the giving of promotions or salary increases.

And THAT is the most concerning thing about the whole shitshow that is HR.

They have far, far, too much power in modern companies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

"Talent" just another bollocks American buzz word business term.

Pretty much like "Human Resources" itself.

Regrettably, I picked up the company newsletter today.......there was a big spread welcoming the two newest members of the " TALENT DEPARTMENT "........

I never met the existing two but it seems there's 2 more been added & it's no longer called HR, Jesus!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

They'll still be equally useless whatever they're called. You'll be expected to demonstrate talent now though. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Two of them probably working from home writing (plagiarising) policies as to who can't WFH + organising Summer BBQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Christine Neville

Oh how I'd like to hear this topic moaned about on Joe Duffy!

Advertisement