Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorcycle warranty issues

Options
  • 30-04-2022 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭

Hi all. My motorcycle which i bought new 18 months ago was dead the other morning when I went to start it. Nothing happened when key was switched to on position. Bike has been flawless up to now including the days before when it started first tip. Put the charger on the battery and showed 4.7V but wouldn't charge.

Contacted the dealer and explained the situation. Dealer said to get it it them. They don't have the facility to recover themselves apparently so I must call my own insurance company to have the bike transported to the dealership. I had plans for the weekend on the bike but that's gone now obviously.

Given that it's a relatively new mid-high range bike under warranty should I have expected better service from the dealer? Had a previous issue with a newish car and was towed to dealer and courtesy car provided without question. Or are my expectations too high. This is my first ever new bike and expected better service and support

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Bike model and how long since it was last started…..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

i certainly wouldnt expect to have to provide transport while under warranty. Even if they dont have their own in house transport, they should at least have someone they could use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Don't necessarily want to reveal the model and make except to say it's a mainstream Japanese sports tourer. Last started and used the evening before the failure. Bike was serviced weeks ago and in regular use all year round

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

It's a machine, they malfunction sometimes. But I'm surprised the dealer didn't organise recovery if it's still under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

What charger are you using? Some trickle chargers or oximisers won't charge the battery if the voltage is too low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Agent_47

If it were a Honda, it could be the reg-rectifier not charging the battery. Had same myself.

if you fit a new battery then drop it off at the dealership with the old battery and let them go through it.

these days dealerships are not what they used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

I'd be hesitant to get your insurance involved unless you have breakdown recovery included in your policy and your 100% certain it won't affect your NCB later on.

Can most definitely call your insurance (on Tuesday) and check with them as they might organise the recovery vehicle and then they will likely claim it back from the shop as it should have been part of the warranty service for a new sale of bike.

The shop should definitely have had something in place to recover damaged bikes under warranty. Call them up and even ask about someone coming out with a new battery for you just to get down to the shop.

Its most likely the charging circuit on the motorcycle dying, but as its within warranty theres no point messing about with a multimeter and trying to source the issue, let them do all the work and this way theres no risk of accidently making something worse.

With motorcycles, I don't think courtesy vehicles is a thing as theres too much variation in user preference in terms of seat height, riding ability and rider sitting position.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Yeah, bike industry & car industry are not similar in approach to after-sales at all, particularly in this country. There again the size of the market is a factor here.

You'd be surprised how many bike places don't have collection facilities (van etc, and no, you can't just chuck it into the back of a Transit - it should really be a properly kitted van to transport it securely)

If battery is 4.7v, all is not lost: I accidentally ran one of mine down not long ago and I thought it was a dead duck: but because it had a Lithium battery, and using a Lithium charger, it recovered completely. Worst case scenario is a new battery.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Thanks to all who replied. Bike back in action now. They recharged the battery and the only possible scenario they could come up with is that i accidentally left the fog lights on which drained the battery. That is possible alright. However if I didn't have break down assistance it would have been a right pain to get it transported.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭robbie_63

You can get small portable chargers that you could use to jump start the bike in the event the battery dies on you again.

I drained mine the other day when I suspect someone turned on the heated grips while it was parked, thankfully a friend had one and we could jump start it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I have a CTEK battery maintainer... you have a bit that connects to the battery permanently, that allows the charger to connect and also shows the battery status... then you have the charger itself... you can use it if the battery goes dead, or if you are leaving the bike for long periods you can keep it plugged in... I have it because the previous owner had the connector installed, I picked up the charger or about €30

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CTEK-Automatic-Maintainer-maintainence-motorcycle/dp/B004RADNCQ/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2Y33ZPNB7G9HA&keywords=ctek+battery+charger&qid=1651675947&quartzVehicle=29-10519&replacementKeywords=ctek+battery&sprefix=ctek%2Caps%2C81&sr=8-7

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Spotlights and heated grips should be wired into a circuit which goes off with the ignition, using a relay.

Who installed them? They're incompetent.

The idea that some randomer could flick a switch and drain your bike battery doesn't bear thinking about.

New-ish Oxford heated grips have a circuit which turns them off when the engine isn't running, so are safe to connect directly to the battery.

If your insurance has bike recovery it won't affect your NCB, it's an additional benefit like windscreen cover on a car

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement