If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)

Get car back on the road

  • 29-04-2022 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24 chosen_one


    Any one like Puzzles ?

    My Car has ben grounded due to Covid and working from home.

    Looking to get back on the road now.

    I tried to get Insured but they wont Insure without NCT.

    I tried to to Tax but wont Tax without Insurance.

    This seems like some sort of logic Puzzle.

    I assume I now have to Drive to NCT without Tax and Insurance but now I'm musing that the NCT may deny me an NCT without Tax or Insurance.

    Wondering how such a circumstance can exist and what my option's are ?



  • Registered Users Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭ mikeecho

    Tax it and just make up the insurance details.

    Insurance... They have never asked me for proof of NCT.

    NCT don't look for proof of anything.

  • Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭ Bigus

    There’s nct specialists who will bring it to nct for a small fee , these lads often have many slots booked in advance so can do it quickly.

    one is smart

    they charge €99 plus nct fee I don’t know anything about how reputable they are but maybe check Google reviews.

  • Registered Users Posts: 18,273 ✭✭✭✭ Del2005

    You can't drive it till you have the NCT, tax and insurance. So you have to trailer/transporter it to the NCT centre, make up any number for you insurance policy to tax it and then insure it.

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭ Buffman

    OP, I've been in similar situations, the only way to legally do it yourself with everything expired is trailer/tow truck it for NCT, insure it with passed NCT, then tax it with insurance details.

    Alternatively, as someone mentioned, hire someone who'll be covered by trade insurance to NCT it for you.

  • Registered Users Posts: 18,273 ✭✭✭✭ Del2005

    A car with no NCT can't be on the road except for few limited exemptions, trade insurance doesn't cover vehicles which can't legally be on the road so a garage will have to use a trailer or tow truck.

  • Advertisement
  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭ Wildly Boaring

    Tax it.

    The don't actually check the insurance number. Just put in 00000000000

    NCT it.

    Car can on road without NCT purely to go for NCT.

    Get your mechanic to drive on their insurance to nct center on their trade insurance.

    Or find a mate with driving of othervcar policy, that does not need the other car to be insured. Some do

    Or trailer it to NCT. Again lot of mechanics have access to trailer. Mine does.

    Insure it......

  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭ User1998

    OP it really depends how legitimately you want to do things and how much extra you are willing to spend on mechanics driving, getting the car trailered etc.

    My opinion would be to just tax & insure the car and drive to the NCT centre but others will say insurance won’t be valid, can’t drive a car with no NCT etc.

    Me personally I drive cars with no tax or NCT to the NCT centre all the time. Always have my trade insurance which is the main thing

  • Registered Users Posts: 18,273 ✭✭✭✭ Del2005

    Nope. You can drive home after a failure if its not a dangerous fault, getting to the centre isn't exempt unless for a few specific reasons.

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ newmember2

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ newmember2

    U thought with the early testing facility they'd done away with that and there was never a case when vehicle could be on the road without an NCT?

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ newmember2