Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Messed Up job offer

Options
  • 27-04-2022 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi All,

Don't know if there is anything I can do now.

Following an interview I received a job offer but now there is an issue at the reference stage and its my own fault for not disclosing everything.

I left a 6 month gap on my CV for late 2020/early 2021. I lost my job due to Covid and temporarily took agency work on lower pay and was not directly relevant to the industry I am in.

I left it off my CV and have been in current role a year. I have 8 relevant jobs over a 15 year period and no other gaps. I left it out to keep the CV short as possible with so many jobs.

At interview I wasn't asked about the gap. The way the interview flowed, it gap didn't seem to be an issue.

Now at reference checking stage, HR have requested evidence of social welfare. I never claimed social welfare as I was in the contract role, but it looks bad that I didn't disclose this. If I was asked about the gap at interview I would have said I took on a contract role at X doing x but the experience was irrelevant to this position and after loosing my job I took the contract as a short gap.

Is there anything I can do or just accept damage has been done and move on. If this can be resolved, it still wouldn't be a good start with new manager etc.

Thanking you in advance.

Messed Up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,815 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Could you not just tell them you were contracting at that time but you left it off your CV as it was not relevant experience to the position you applied for.

Seems a very simple solution to a non issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭keithb93

This doesn’t seem like an issue at all. Just say you were doing contract work that wasn’t relevant. I don’t have half the jobs I worked at on my cv. Although is it not strange for hr to be looking to see evidence of social welfare?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Or just say, I lived off my savings for that period as I didn’t want to become too comfortable on SW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Seems odd that they're asking for evidence of social welfare

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

They're worried you did a six month stretch in prison or rehab

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

This. Why are they looking for evidence that you were in receipt of social welfare? Can't see that it's any of their concern.

Regardless, I think TitanGerm has the right answer. Tell them the truth — you didn't want to claim welfare, so you took contract work in areas unrelated to your career until more suitable opportunities opened up when the pandemic settled down. I can't see that this will disadvantage you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MessedUp

Thanks All,

Really appreciate the replies.

I will call now soon and try to explain and see what happens.

I do think its odd they are asking for evidence for social welfare for that period. Was thinking of telling them I didn't claim social and lived on savings but was thinking that they would probably want some evidence from Revenue on income tax paid to prove I wasn't working.

Thank again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Xander10

Yes , I would think there is a GDPR issue with them asking for details of a social welfare payment.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Just answer them honestly and leave it at that. Don't go digging a deeper hole for yourself.

Why? It is no difference from using for a record of employment or a reference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Nope they can ask what the gap was - ie unemployed or in a job or break but they have no right to ask for proof of social welfare - there are definite issues with that. That's like asking for payslips from previous employment - big red flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TheGlossy

You actually sign a consent form before they initiate any pre-employment verifications. If you confirmed consent to have your information released/verified, you cannot claim this request for evidence goes against GDPR. The extent of the type of information requested is outlined in whatever consent form this person signed.

Apart from an opinion, can you actually point to the legislation states the such data is privileged and can't be collected?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Why would a company look for evidence of Social Welfare payments? I've never heard of that before. It seems like a stretch to ask for something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Would you give over your previous employments payslips? Social welfare is same. Other than your opinion that it is not privileged can you provide proof its not ha ha.

Because you might have been in prison at the time rather than on social welfare….

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Company are trying to find out that for the 6 months you weren't in a job where you were fired from (poor performance, poor behaviour etc.), or as mentioned above, prison, rehab or anything negative. They want you to prove that what you are saying is correct.

A few years back I took 6 months out between jobs. I spent time travelling, ticking a few things off my travel bucket list. A new company I went to work for wanted proof of this. I just showed them a redacted bank statement with some hotel bookings in different countries over the period as well as some photos. HR were happy with that, and the explanation they gave me was the one above.

To be fair to them I'd be dealing with sensitive info on clients etc.

Just tell them the truth. Lies tend to snowball and will be found out eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

Depending on the sector there can be regulatory due diligence needed to confirm you past history. Often this is out-sourced to a third party, so it may not even be your prospective employer asking for this.

Just tell them the truth, there's no issue - your behaviour was not in anyway dishonest. I would have done exactly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

And if someone was offered a job and then it was withdrawn if it was discovered they had been in prison, would that not be a clear case of hiring discrimination?

The OP is in their current role 12 months and no gaps for the previous 15 years. Seems very odd to be focussing on a single gap that happened during covid when everything was in a heap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Why would you advise the OP to lie?

OP, tell the truth. You left it off the CV because it wasn't relevant to the application. Supply them with contact details for a referee and don't dig any silly holes. How is telling a lie easier than telling the truth and solving the problem?

Agree about not making stuff up, doesn't end well usually.

It looks like HR are assuming the OP was claiming SW as they asked for proof. Imo that sounds like overstepping the mark.

If OP agreed to provide previous employer references that's one thing, but how does that include proof of SW payments?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Criminal history is not one of the categories of discrimination under legislation. Employers are quite entitled to discriminate against those with criminal records.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,688 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Entitled - and in some cases required. Normally though, they will be up front about asking if you have any criminal charges.

Ones issues with asking for social welfare proof is that some people aren't entitled to it. The last time I applied and was declined (as expected), in got them to write a letter stating this, in case I needed it. But if it had been more than 3 months, some companies in my current industry look for either proof of travel or a character reference from someone who knows what you were doing (eg GP if you were caring for your sick relative).

Certainly not. It many cases it is a legal requirement or commercial retirement that staff have a clean record in the interests of public safety, maintaining a safe working environment or because the person will have access to sensitive information and there is a chance the could be bribed or be forced to hand over the information.

If you are applying for a job that requires a background check at any major company the chances are that it will be done by a professional - ex police, ex military police or security services - people who have heard all the BS stories before.

That's fair enough, but if the OP was working in one of those regulated sectors for over 15 years, then surely they would be well aware of those regulations and wouldn't leave a gap on their cv that could look suspicious, and, they wouldn't find it strange or unusual if the company requested extra information.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

I would let it go and look for another job they sound like a suspicious lot and best avoided its an employees market at the moment no panic.

Jobs with in-depth background checks usually comes with very nice salaries.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

and usually very arsehole middle manager, like i said if he has the credentials he can go anywhere. Sometimes a 6 month gap can mean travelling or the new reason a break for my mental health which I agree with . Nothing worse than changing jobs from one toxic manager to another one just a different face and different cologne "!! :)

p.s very nice salaries usually come with very nice stress.

Advertisement