Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apparently I have been threadbanned from the Mayo thread?

Options
  • 26-04-2022 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭

It honestly has me extremely perplexed

1) I have no clue why

2) I am not threadbanned from any other threads on boards.ie as far as I know.

3) I am a lifelong follower of Gaelic Games and find it a bit insulting and against the ethos of the GAA itself if I have done nothing to warrant such a ban.

To me the GAA threads are there for debate among GAA fans. Getting info on other counties. Getting the lay of the land from fans in the know. Discussing teams and players. Etc Etc. To find that I am threadbanned from the Mayo thread I find it extemely baffling and odd. I am bit shocked to be honest. I don't know whether to be shocked or insulted extremely odd stuff.

I would like a detailed explanation with details as to

1) Why I received a threadban on the Mayo GAA thread

2) Why it warranted a threadban?

3) In my opinion such over zealous use of thread bans in the GAA threads discourage intermingling of fans from other counties. And do not allow viewpoints from those outside the county. Which make the thread a narrow bubble, Somewhat of a clque IMO. Is that what the moderator wants? No outsiders?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,800 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Hello.

I have found the thread ban dated 24/12/2020 from moderator @Hammer Archer which I have linked to here. The first thing to do if you are disputing a thread ban is to send the moderator a PM to see if the issue can be resolved amicably. Given that you don't know anything about the thread ban, the best starting point is to make contact with the mod via PM and see how things go from there.

-Shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I have received no reply as yet. It is still a mystery to me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,800 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Seeing that there has been no response, I think a CMod of that forum might be able to help given that you have not receive a reply in a week. A few points of observation are it is from December 2020, it had over 8,000 posts when you were banned and it has easily a thousand more since your ban. That’s just a snapshot of the situation for the CMod when he gets a free minute to examine your case.

Please @awec csn you look into this when you’re free?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,187 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

DRP only covers forum bans, and points based warnings, not threadbans, so moved to the Helpdesk instead.

• Administrators Posts: 53,659 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'll take a look.

• Advertisement

Hi @gormdubhgorm ,

I've taken a look, and you were threadbanned back in December 2020 for riling up the Mayo supporters in the Mayo thread the week after they lost the all-Ireland. The mods believe that you knew what you were doing, while avoiding being an obvious troll you were going far enough that you knew you'd get the reaction you wanted.

There is no official DRP process for threadbans, and I do not see this as some egregious breach of moderator power so see no reason for me to intervene here.

What I will say is you should engage with the moderators of the GAA forum via PM and see if a favourable outcome can be worked out. A word of warning though, I would suggest you talk to them in a different tone than what is in this thread, ditch the faux outrage and engage reasonably.

Cheers.

I was not riling up posters at all. If you read the conversation- I merely asked what a ‘values and behaviours’ coach was. Then you will see the Mayo posters we’re discussing an article by former Dublin player David Hickey. Then you will then see the posters started to use stereotypes about Dublin supporters.

And then I used examples of Mayo support which could not be held to be an indicator of broader Mayo support. As there is good and bad in every fan base etc.

I am very fair in my comments on GAA - not correct in predictions all the time. But my views remain consistent. They are not done to ‘troll or wind up’. If anything I felt I showed great restraint when posters started using Dublin GAA fan stereotypes. But I notice the moderator did not query those! This was in 2020.

Also If you look at my posts prior to the 2021 game v Mayo last year *AI Final thread of that year* - I thought Mayo could win. And I also believed that Mayo were favs v Tyrone. Better panel better management etc.

If you look at my recent post in 2022 on the Mayo thread I praised Horan for rebuilding Mayo in such a short time span.

Taken in conjunction as well my more general posts on GAA. I believe frankly that calling me ‘a troll without being obvious’ is one or more of the following-

1) Lazy modding

2) Segregation and clique forming (disguised as modding) based on the moderators choices - a underhand ‘we don’t like your type around here’ vibe (Which as I said goes against GAA ethos itself)

-

In recent times I have been very critical of Dessie Farrell and Dublin. I am not a blinkered GAA fan

And as I said I have frequently praised Mayo 2020- 2021-2022. In fact if you were to ask me who the best fans overall were in the GAA. I would say Mayo. Always out in force passionate and keep coming back.

Also if I remember I purchased the 2020 programme online. And put up the page of the team sheets on the relevant threads / the Dublin and Mayo team sheets from the program.

Decent thing I thought. I was the only person to do that for the final 2020.

Yet here I am labelled as a troll without trolling? When it suits a moderators underlying motivations IMO.

That is what it all smells like to me a moderator twisting their power while engaging in nothing more than discrimination. Basically because they don’t like the ‘cut’ of a poster. In this case me.

I have not been abusive. I was not ‘a dick’. As the boards rule goes. But I can see what is going on.

And the moderator involved should have a hard look at themselves and their motives.

I received no warning. There was no engagement. I would not even call it modding. It is discriminatory pure and simple IMO.

It is not faux outrage. I am just saying what it seems like to me. Such ‘modding’ let’s down the decent ‘salt of the earth’ GAA mods.

But I would not tar all GAA mods with the one brush based on the initial moderators so called thread ban. No discussion, No warning, No explanation and no engagement.

Also no decency to even engage in this query. Leaving you to deal with it second hand. The silence speaks volumes to me.

IMO have as yet received valid reasoning for such a draconian action, based on No abuse and so on. It is a draconian action without just cause.

And the ‘second hand’ explanation I was given seems very vague, tenuous and wishy washy. It could be indicative of a culture now occurring I don’t know?

Ironically players who actually do harm on the field of play. Have more recourse than I do CCCC etc

Yet here I am taking about the sport on a message forum. Where I am told I have no recourse? Under boards rules for a thread ban?

That is not lost on me. I would like to discuss this issue with higher up mods. As this is wrong IMO. Just wrong use of moderator in a message forum. And in my view is counterproductive. Long term such approaches will end up putting posters off using this site in my opinion.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

You are "discussing" this issue with a higher up mod right now, if you want to call this discussing.

I have once again read your posts in the Mayo thread that got you thread-banned. The week after beating Mayo in an all Ireland final, you, a Dublin supporter, were on their thread defending an article that dismissed out of hand Mayo's chances of winning, calling them tragic. It was a patronising article, that unsurprisingly frustrated Mayo supporters.

There was no need for you to wade into their thread informing them all that he was correct. There was no need for you to wade into the thread talking about Dublin needing more respect. You were talking about anti-Dubs. You complained of David Clarke getting an all star when Stephen Cluxton hadn't.

It was the Mayo thread, it did not need you pontificating about Dublin in it at that time. In my book, it far from unreasonable to believe you were looking for a reaction.

I would also suggest that making comments about lazy moderation and questionable underlying motivations etc is not a great way to approach getting a thread-ban lifted.

i suggest you read the thread again. I did NOT defend the Hickey article. I said it pulled no punches and gave my perspective as to why Hickey wrote it. I agreed that the article was mean spirited! You neglected to mention that.

I recall I also said Hickey would have looked like a clown if Dublin lost with those comments. I also questioned Hickey’s language but gave the reasons why Hickey may have done so. Giving perspective on an article does not amount to a defence.

This comes back to my point I feel I have been discriminated merely by given my opinion on it as a Dublin supporter. No warning no recourse and biased moderation.

Basically if I was not a Dublin supporter I would not have received a thread ban? If it is a crime been a Dublin supporter then I suppose I must be guilty?

This thread thus far has done nothing to disprove my belief that there is still a discriminatory tone against me for simply giving my perspective. I will not sugar coat how I feel I have been treated on this issue.

My integrity has been questioned and I feel discriminated against for simply being a Dublin GAA fan. Nothing more nothing less.

And yet on the other hand I am expected to fawn towards the moderator(s) who agree with this draconian action.

To me it is lazy moderation that created the situation in the first place. For me to say anything else would be faux sincerity.

Which is basically what the second moderator accused me of ! So the mind boggles.

No sign of the original moderator either which is poor form IMO.

Originally IMO a more clued in mod would have engaged/ given a warning etc. Gradient’s of reprimanding. But there was none / just a complete thread ban. That is why I call it lazy moderation at best. From the original moderator.

The main basis for which now seems to be that I am a Dublin supporter. Which you yourself have implied.

I might never post on the Mayo thread again even if this appeal is successful. But at least my integrity would not be brought into question. It is a point of principle as far as I am concerned.

And the more excuses I have received to this point the more it has annoyed me.

The tone of response I am receiving now seems to be heading towards dismissive and sneering.

With use of the word ‘discussing’ in inverted commas. Behind the scenes no doubt the comments are we have an annoying pontificator poster. Who has already said the modding was lazy. There is no way the thread ban is lifted. Because we do not like the poster.

I am not asking to be liked but treated fairly. With a valid explanation for draconian action.

-

Summary -

1) The first accusation was trolling in disguise. Which is untrue I gave my honest opinion on GAA issues without abusing any one.

2) The second accusation is I defended the Hickey article. Untrue- I said the tone and language was mean spirited. But said why I thought Hickey did it. Giving perspective does not amount to a defence.

3) The third is that I am a Dublin fan who posted on a Mayo thread. This fact is undeniable so if this is the reason for the thread ban. Then I am guilty.

But that to me is discrimination. Pure and simple. And the punishment was draconian as it was with no prior warning or engagement.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

1) Have I been presumed guilty or proven my innocence?

I realise boards appeals/justice/fairness work the opposite to the real world justice system.

2) If I am still deemed guilty what of the question of the punishment? Have I ‘served my time’ in the intervening two years?

I view it as draconian, discriminatory.

To me the thread ban seemed mainly be because I am a Dublin GAA fan and not merely because of what was discussed. Which I feel has been incorrectly assessed.

Also the most recent moderator has openly admitted in other GAA threads that GAA is not their sport.

I feel as a result nuance/understanding is being missed.

And instead the handy option is being taken in the hope I drop my issues with this thread ban.

• Advertisement

I have already told you what you need to do here.

You need to engage constructively with the moderators of the GAA forum. I would suggest that when you do this, you change your tone from how it has been in this thread.

I see no reason for me to intervene here as the sports category moderator, this is between you are the mods of the GAA forum itself (of which I am not one).

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

CMod has given you their comments

Marking resolved

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement