Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What went wrong with Gracedieu/Carrickpherish

Options
  • 26-04-2022 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

I stumbled across the below article from 2004 when the new Carrickpherish area was being planned out. I remember the optimism at the time that this was going to be the 'new Dunmore Road' for Waterford. Obviously we all know that didn't happen and the challenges that the area has had ever since.

What's your opinion, what went wrong? Waterford council obviously have a lot of failings to answer for but were there other factors to contribute?

Council plans new town for 12,000 on 200-acre site - Independent.ie

Post edited by Cabaal on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

Cultural enrichment happened and it ain't ever going away.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

The economic collapse in 2008 obviously had a huge impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Valhalla90

The area had so much potential, its at a height with views over other parts of the city and comeragh mountains. Everyone knows what went wrong, the area is destroyed unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

This is such a baited trap its unreal!!!! we all know what went wrong but were not allowed talk about it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,670 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Exactly. A certain cohort of people moved in, caused chaos and disregarded the laws that all of us have to obey, and the reputation of the area sunk to rock bottom in record time. Nobody wants to touch the place. Not even the guards. Add in some local drug fueds and a shooting and its obvious the whole area is the blind spot of Waterford that nobody wants to admit exists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

What went wrong? My two cents for what it is worth.

1. The council built a halting site slap bang in the middle of the area
    2. The area is utterly unsuitable for a halting site
    3. The halting site in question was astonishingly badly designed. It is truly absurd how close it is to the road
    4. The crash happened which brought house building to a stop and still not has recovered to the necessary levels
    5. The council bought Ard Cluain. Some of the houses were given to a very rough crowd (from the settled community)
    6. The inevitable gangs have developed when these kinds of people get together
    7. The Guards just don't have the resources to police the area to the level needed now
    8. As a consequence the reputation of the area took a noise dive

In short it is a s*it show thanks to the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

but its the same on the kilbarry road, well not the same but the surrounding lands are used for their scrap heaps and collection of scrap metal.

I asked the council do they have a licence to collect and sell scrap metal and do they pay taxes on it? Molloy metalsdo regular pick ups, do they not require certain licences from scrap metal collectors?

im not havin a pop at travellers they just need to obide by the same laws we do.

If i was to start collecting scrap metal on a piece of land the EPA wud ask me to fullfill certain obligations.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

In fairness I think even if the halting site was not situated there the area would have a lot of issues. Building hundreds of apartments and houses with zero facilities in the local area is never proven to be a good idea. I asked the context in terms of the plans for the area looked great with plans to build a town centre and shopping area, sports facilities etc but then what was actually delivered in terms of infrastructure and facilities was awful. The thread wasn't intended as a pop at travellers, more that the council failed to deliver on what could have been a great new area for the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭tobey

Tryed to build too many house on top of each other, then they filled the apartments with council residences. The apartments need to be knocked and re done. the estate beside mount suir should be knocked and private houses like mount suir build for first time buyers. And it needs to be policed. anything build there will only ever be council or housing charity cause first time buyers would never part with there hard earned deposits to live in waterfords west bank

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

We have one thread on Carrickpherish already which is bad enough, this one is already descending into labeling of groups and people so its ending now as it serves no value.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement