Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a decent frying pan

Options
  • 26-04-2022 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a decent non-stick frying pan. We seem to be constantly replacing pans that we buy in Woodies, etc as they warp or lose their non-stick.

Willing to spend a good few quid

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭NaFirinne

Spend the money and get a decent on from Nisbets -

Like this one

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭SVI40

Cast iron, I moved to them 2 years or so ago. I'd never use anything else now. Once you maintain them, you only need hot water to clean them. Look aster them, and your great, great, great grandchildren will still be using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Never really go to grips with cast iron pans - always found that things like steaks were sticking to them

Also, we have an induction hob

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

How are you washing them that they are losing their non-stick?

Even relatively cheap pans should last for a number of years unless they are being mistreated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Don't cast iron pans have a reputation for not heating up evenly?

Anyway, if you're near a tk Maxx you can sometimes get a good pan there for a reasonable price. We got one last year by a brand called masterpro which seems good, for €45.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭9320

Which recently recommended two best buys - first was the

You might have to go up to their Shop in Banbridge to buy it though

Second was the EaziGlide Never Stick 2 which seems to only be available at John Lewis.

So essentially my advice here might be useless for an easy handy to buy frying pan.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭SVI40

If anything is sticking, it's just not seasoned enough. I've an induction hob too, not an issue. They're suitable for induction. However, they may not suit everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Lena11

I use Berlinger Haus pans. My oldest is over 7 years and still completely non stick. I followed the "before first use" instructions and throw it in the diswasher after using

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Non stick isn’t an essential feature for us. If you can get your head around that, IKEA’s extra thick stainless steel frying pans are great for the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Preheat the pan till roasting hot, rub oil on the steak (don’t put oil on the pan) and loads of freshly ground salt. Turn when half cooked and it won’t stick. I wouldn’t use anything but cast iron for a steak now.

Just washing them in soapy water with the rest of the dishes

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

The biggest non stick killer in our house has been pans left on too high a heat or for too long. Solved by getting a steel pan for general use, and a small one egg pan for the main culprit. The huge non stick and the small non stick are doing fine getting specific use. The small non stick was one of the cheap ones in Nisbets.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah I have also found that excessive heat for long periods will ruin the non stick. I used to have it on full heat for about 12 minutes while I toasted 8 corn tortillas both sides and after a while the non stick peeled. So now if I need high heat for a long time I used a steel pan which has no issues

Personally I think most of what Woodies sell is overpriced cheap crap from China that is made to look like it is premium to justify the price. As a shop they are a hard avoid for me and for DIY/garden stuff I find B&Q are cheaper and have a much better selection anyway.

I read an article on non stick pans last year and in it a professional head chef in London said that now he only buys Ikea non stick pans for the simple reason that they are cheap, £4 each is what he was paying. He said he has been through all the expensive ones and they all lose their non stick coating at some stage. He did his maths and he could get more longevity out of 3 or 4 Ikea pans for £4 each than he could out of a £50 one. So take from that what you want. If you are buying a premium one though avoid Woodies and go to Nisbetts.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭put_the_kettle_on

I have a big Le Creuset frying pan that we got as a wedding present 30 ish years ago. It's had a busy life and it's still useable.

I tend to use lighter weight pans for frying now though because of arthritis.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I read an article on non stick pans last year and in it a professional head chef in London said that now he only buys Ikea non stick pans for the simple reason that they are cheap, £4 each is what he was paying. He said he has been through all the expensive ones and they all lose their non stick coating at some stage. He did his maths and he could get more longevity out of 3 or 4 Ikea pans for £4 each than he could out of a £50 one.

surely a professional level frying pan would be a hell of a lot more expensive than £50 though - maybe that was his mistake, not that he was paying too much, but that he was paying too little...

iirc he had said he'd been though stacks of different pans at varying prices to try to find 'the one'. He would replace several at a time and he could never settle on one that met his criteria for both longevity & price for a busy professional kitchen. His said he now goes into Ikea and buys a box of 40 or 50 £4 non stick pans which are used by his chefs until the non stick wears off and then they are thrown out. His point was this works out a fair bit cheaper than buying professional non stick pans, their coating might last longer but compared to their cost it is a false economy becasue irrespective of price no non stick coating lasts forever.

Ive never owned a non stick that costs big money like £100+. But I think he might have a point, is it going to last as long as 25 x £4 Ikea pans will? Would a £50 one outlast 12 Ikea ones? His point is that they dont hence why he now only buys Ikea non sticks in bulk for his chefs to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've known other professional kitchen that use cheap non stick pans, too.

Personally, I'd never spend more than €10 of €15 on a nonstick pan. I rarely use a ns pan, so they last ages.

TkMax/Homesense is my go to for these. I've also had good Aldi/Lidl ns pans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

I was the same. The cheaper ones never really lasted so went for this one -

Think I paid about 100 for it about 4 years ago and still in great condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭nhg

Read somewhere one time,:

To stop the frying pan from warping, allow to it cool down before washing.

I use the rocktanium frying pans & find them great, just have a regular electric hob, not induction

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I don't *think* I've ever had an issue with warping, but I do often run water into a pan to clean it while still hot, before food bakes in and to use the pan's own heat to help. Basically just deglazing for cleaning purposes.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I would have thought most chefs use the steel pans instead of non-stick? Actual steel pans, not the stainless variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

No expert here but my 2 cents from my own experience (experienced same issues outlined)

Warping seems like hot pan being washed while still hot,

Sticking is likely pan not hot enough before adding food.

I recently got my first cast iron pan and it's a bit of a faff to be honest, but good results. Using it on induction, I would probably have it warming up for maybe 10 or so minutes before adding steak /burgers whatever... As others have said, bit of oil on the food, not pan... When I first used it the food stuck but this was purely because not hot enough. If I was searing a steak I'd wait till pan is starting to smoke with the heat...

Finally, presumably you're not using heavy duty scouring type pads when cleaning. Based on your experience of wrecking a few pans I'd be reluctant to splash out a lot of money on one without maybe trying a different approach with a cheaper one first

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Tony H

Ordered a de Buyer Acier Carbone Steel frying pan and if anyone has any suggestions re seasoning I would really appreciate them , saw lots of vids on YouTube but some say use lots of oil(manufacturer) and others say just coat the pan and wipe off and then heat.

With seasoning Id normally just dab some oil on a paper towel and then coat the pan before baking it upside down in the oven. I dont think it needs tons of oil, just a film of it. I let it cool and then repeat the process another two times for a brand new pan.

Where did you buy it? Need a new frying pan myself soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Tony H

Bought it (de Buyer Acier Carbone) at knivesandtools , €42 inc delivery , just fed up of binning non stick pans every couple of years .

Advertisement