Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piers Morgan's uncensored

Options
2»

Comments

Morgan's show is flopping!

Piers Morgan: Uncensored is struggling to keep up viewership, with an all-time low of just 10,000 tuning in on Wednesday night. 

But despite managing to draw in nearly 400,000 viewers on his debut show, new data shows his latest episode attracted its lowest figures yet

Last week, he was beaten by Nigel Farage when show figures fell to their lowest yet. Farage’s 7pm show peaked at 73,600 viewers, whereas Morgan’s 8pm slot only managed 58,800 viewers.

It's also now reported that Piers Morgan is to take a 6-week break from TalkTV.

It's not surprising that Morgan's show is flopping. Yes, he's a big name - but if the only things he discusses are Meghan Markle, gun control in the US, and transgender women (and Meghan Markle again), people will just get bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,418 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Yup, awful smell of defeat off him at this stage, just like GBEEBIES his show is the only one that pulls any sort of half decent ratings (in freefall though) and some shows don't even register as having viewers at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As GB News and now this shows, the ceiling of audience available for 247 woke hysteria is far lower than the relative noise from the chief witchfinders among its adherents would have us believe. There's a degree of irony at play from those who'd rant about Echo Chambers.

Morgan's race is run; he has a huge audience by ITV and blew it out the water when he went too far - in this case airing his obvious bitterness over a much younger woman ghosting him. At this stage I'd not be surprised if he ends up on something like Newsmaxx in a desperatd attempt to stay relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,257 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Another sign that it's less a "silent majority" and more a "very loud <100k or so".

Or perhaps a sign that people who may agree with some aspects of what Piers Morgan might say don't need their agenda being pushed consistently. I couldn't watch him but would agree with him on certain topics. I prefer not to watch agenda driven television. Especially when it's done so obviously as per Farage and Morgan.

I would consider myself to be more right than left (because we all have to pick a side these days) on a variety of issues, but that doesn't mean that I want to see a right wing agenda being pushed.

I'd prefer to see a balance and more importantly, when it comes to news or fact based shows, I only want to see the truth. Not a spun version.

• Advertisement

I agree. I meant "silent majority" in terms of the audience they are targetting, rather than the full population. The idea that most of the news channels are left-leaning or biased and therefore there's a silent majority crying out for news/opinion shows that are right-leaning and doesn't kowtow to PC culture (and instead strongly speaks out against it). The idea that there's a whole market for what is basically a Fox News UK.

But there isn't. People may be politically or socially aligned with the content they're producing, but like you say, they don't want to watch it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's hardly shocking to be honest.

"News" channels don't make money and are tiny in terms of viewers in the overall scheme of things.

Farage being the bigger pygmy when compared to Morgan for viewers isn't really much of a victory.

Neither channel will be making money for their backers any time soon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think as far as Farage and P. Morgan are concerned, the silent majority have spoken - silently.

They do not want their message - and certainly not 24/7.

I agree with this.

I would actually find myself in alignment with much, if not most, of what Morgan comes out with. But that doesn't mean that I find it entertaining to watch. I've watched a couple of episodes of Morgan and I just cannot watch it - despite agreeing with what he says.

I'd rather see diversity of opinion, diversity of subject matter etc. Yes, I tilt to the political right but that doesn't mean I actively seek monotony.

If I, as someone who aligns with Morgan, finds it boring, then what chance has he got?

And TalkTV have done a great job with the set and the social media and so on; it's far, far better than what GB News came out with.

But I'd rather watch GB News despite that, because substance isn't measured by how good graphics are or by how many technical glitches exist. Many people on social media are saying the same thing, and the statistics are backing this up.

Remember, once upon a time, Farage earned 150,000 views for his programme. These days it oscillates around 75-90,000 views, give or take.

Morgan, a much more prominent "celebrity" than Farage, is already at 10,000 after just a couple of episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,720 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Funny time to air it, competing with Corrie, or Emmerdale, or Eastenders ,

He'd be better off at 10 pm, not 8pm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The immediately prior post to yours hasn't really aged that well; not in the mere 5 months since it was posted. A degree of "going strength to strength" tea-leaves optimism going on, that hasn't panned out at all.

Morgan, a much more prominent "celebrity" than Farage, is already at 10,000 after just a couple of episodes.

Snort. The time of the media demagogue really seems on the way out. Morgan might have done well to curb his insecurity over Megan Markle and kept that cushy number on Morning TV, where he could make the occasional "anti woke" comment for some brief, viral relevancy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

He's competing with social media though so he has to take extreme positions to do that. That means racist whining about the UK's German royal family having a non-white person. It's disgusting but people can get that any time, any place on social media. Waiting for a specific time for Morgan's rants and victimhood narratives makes no sense as we're seeing in the figures.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Morgan might have done well to curb his insecurity over Megan Markle and kept that cushy number on Morning TV, where he could make the occasional "anti woke" comment for some brief, viral relevancy.

That was always the issue with Piers Morgan - 95%+ of what he said and did on ITV etc. was standard issue bland vanilla daytime TV fluff , and that is what got the advertisers and paid the bills.

Every now and again he'd do something "controversial" and it would spike Social media activity etc.

He and others came to believe that it was the controversy that people wanted and not the other 95% - It isn't and it never was.

Absolutely no one wants to listen to endless hours of whinging, about anything.

It's just crushingly boring and will never have anything more than a tiny fringe audience , with next to no revenue generation ability.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I call it the "Joey from Friends" problem. Joey worked because he was one sixth of an ensemble cast. The spinoff failed because it was just too much of him with no counterweight or counterfoil.

This is the same. When Piers would say something outrageous on GMB, he'd get chided by Susanna Reid or someone else (I only got to see it at my local gym with no sound) with the effect being that he's spice it up without going overboard. Now that he has no constraints, people get bored. There's no change in tempo, no dynamic and no variety. It's just Morgan going on and on and on about woke being tyrannt, PC going mad, Megan Markle being the worst human being in existance, etc, etc, etc. Viewers might agree with him, sure but what he's peddling is news entertainment, not news itself. Without the latter component, it's dead on arrival.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Plus he started off with an interview with Trump, with promos making it look really confrontational, Trump storming off etc.

About 2 weeks later his biggest guest was Anne Robinson.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's been dropped in Australia. The UK arm can't afford to keep it going without the foreign sales, so it's days are likely numbered. Ask probably are TalkTVs entirely after having spent so much on him

And the thing is, Morgan has an audience - it's just not a very big one and as someone else remarked already the whole "Silent Majority" fallacy has been well & truly blown out of the water. It's just a noisy, boring subset of similar folk who get disproportionately angry about pronouns or any tacit suggestion Western history was a bit shít for those on the receiving end of things. Same with Boards really.

Problem for Morgan now is, he's too old and too irrelevant to pivot to the level he should be operating at: that of YouTube or a podcast. But there, he'd immediately find himself trying to take chunks out of preexisting, successful anti-woke hysteria already operating as a sub-culture within the media. And like many loud bullies, Morgan strikes as too cowardly to take a change to swim at the right depth. He's too use to fooling himself he's an Important Man of Culture; doubtless he'd see a YouTube channel as beneath him, being a newspaper man probably just scared of the digital indiustry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Watched it in the background on youtube when watching the soccer just out of curiosity.

Piers, Richard Tice , a lawyer who I didn't recognize, Louse fecking Mensch on all to to give Truss a massive kicking.

Segment also about Nurse pay and Assange's wife on and depressingly Andrew Tate which I swerved.

It wasn't a right wing safe space to be fair but it just felt relatively pointless unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,835 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

When ordinary Brits realise they've been well and truly been had, Richard Tice is one chap that the hooded torch bearers will come looking for.

• Advertisement

Saw on twitter a couple of days his guest was an astrophysicist discussing gender identity and trans athletes. Boring as fk no wonder the viewing figures are low.

Advertisement