Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things that need to end....

Options

Comments

I doubt anyone who has actually had cannabis for extended periods would make that claim.. that it's completely harmless. We're all aware of the mood swings, the lethargy, the occasional paranoia, etc. I've noticed that it's usually people against cannabis that make such claims that others are calling it harmless. It's a drug, ffs. No different from Alcohol.

Sensible and mature usage brings benefits. Irresponsible or ignorant usage brings problems.

Now, as for the health considerations, it's been proven to be a pain reliever, and helps to alleviate many of the associated issues with cancer, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, etc. It's not any kind of miracle cure. But speaking as someone who has used it extensively (2 decades) for treatment of my shaking disorder, it's far far better than the drugs that come from the Pharmaceuticals, because the side effects are far less intrusive (or outright damaging), and it's easier to stop using cannabis compared to stopping using a lot of western medicine provided by Doctors.

Would it be better than booze or cigs? It's not comparing like with like. It depends on how it's consumed for one thing, the quality of the product, and lastly, what it's aimed to do? Very few consumers of cannabis would be seen hanging out/drinking in a pub or starting fights. They're more likely to be at home watching a movie or playing computer games. Most people who try mixing alcohol and cannabis get over it quickly, and choose to do one or the other. Dunno why you included cigs at all.

A muppet is still going to be a muppet with cannabis, alcohol or whatever.. But as with most things, age, and experience factors into all of this.

As for studies/research, there's threads all over boards discussing the benefits of cannabis, but it's worth remembering that the tobacco/alcohol companies in the US have always been against it, in addition, to the official stance against it by the US government. That will factor heavily into what research has been done, and the findings. Western medicine is big big money... so encouraging the use of cannabis would be a threat to that. Just something to bear in mind.

I find that people tend to get fixated when it comes to talking about cannabis. It's a useful and fun drug, but it definitely has it's downsides. With a little bit of research, and proper sourcing/production, it could be much better though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Cannabis was invaluable to me , and would still be if I could source it. Appetite, relaxation of muscle spasms , far better than baclofen, and for pain. And just a good feeling. I've tried CBD , a load of shyte. A decent joint would be absolutely divine. THC is where its at

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭mikethecop

I agree almost wholeheartedly with everything you say and most eloquently express. we agree there are benefits , and in many cases the benefits out weigh the risks. but it does not mean the risks don't exist.

I think that we agree that responsible use of cannabis is a good thing. but to ensure that its use is responsible is the trick .

I regret that I lack your eloquence in my response but I'm quite stoned right now :-)

Na the point i was making was about the sham artists and witch doctors selling it as a cure for cancer and every thing else . and claiming some kind of moral superiority .

like ive said its has its benefits in pain relief and as a fairly harmless social drug but its not magic like some bluffers would have you believe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Demonique

One thing that needs to end is fcuking Rylan being seemingly everywhere on brit tv, first he replaced Ainsley Harriott on the reboot of Ready Steady Cook and now he's replacing Davina McCall on the reboot of Big Brother and he's also in ads

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

One thing that I really wish could be ended are the snake oil cancer "treatments" put forward by these Mexican and other overseas clinics. Not a month goes by but I see some desperate individual fundraising on gofundme to go to these charlatans. The taking advantage of people when they are at their most vulnerable is truly despicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭appledrop

You haven't a hope, it's actually stricter the rules are getting around alcohol.

A bottle of wine is no longer allowed to be included in Marks & Spencers meal deal, thanks to Michael Martin and his crew.

I'm sure all the alcoholics were queuing up in M&S to get their wine as part of meal deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,297 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The ban on plastic straws, could they not instal specific recycling points for straws?

It brings the food and drinks industry back to the stone age, like asking someone to have pints from a triple layered paper bag.

No way, it's absolutely a horrendous drug.

You should read this article about the deadly effects of cannibas use on teenagers.

I know you might argue, ah that's teenagers + if it was legilisased they wouldn't have access to it but that's not true.

I'm not saying smoking cannibas turns you into a drug addict, but it's definitely the gateway drug for 99% of them.

• Advertisement

Oh god this!

I actually have a bag of plastic straws from IKEA that I use on off chance I get a McDonalds or something like that.

I can't stand the taste/sensation of paper straw disintegrating, it's disgusting!

My husband did ask me what I'm going to do when my stash runs out!

M

I smuggled back 100 from a non EU country, proper smuggling 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Coal burning

Unchecked population growth

Single use plastic

The invasion of Ukraine

Or are we only supposed to mention trivial things?

M

Population growth is declining in all developed countries, in the next 50 years the lack of population is going to be a massive issue. Once women realise having eleventeen kids is unhumane on them word spreads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

The Road safety authority bashing men

The latest radio ads has a chap telling us “listen guys we need to wise up”

And who can forget the “he drives, she dies” campaign several years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

I know alot more ruined by DRINK

legalise it, study it, tax it

but it's definitely the gateway drug for 99% of them.

Rubbish. Oh, I'm sure that teens who do a variety of drugs also smoke cannabis, but it's doubtful that it was the trigger to have them use other drugs. Cannabis doesn't work that way. Whereas Alcohol does.

Therein is the bias. Rather than pointing out that alcohol encourages aggression, competitiveness, and a weakness to peer pressure which is likely to lead to the use of other drugs, cannabis is chosen to be targeted. Whereas people who smoke are unlikely to branch out to other drugs if they're stoned. It'll be when they're drunk that they'll be willing to try other substances. Reports like these don't tend to perceive Alcohol as a drug the same way as cannabis or LSD, so they don't really acknowledge the effect it has on people.

“They didn’t seem to know that if you start smoking cannabis from morning till night, that this could become a problem,” he said.

That's the problem, right there. That they 1) have access to enough cannabis to smoke all day, and 2) that they're not occupied with other activities. It's damn hard to do anything complex while stoned. 99% of stoners can't do it.

As with any drug (and I've used a lot of them) if you're a tool, then you'll abuse it. The lack of education which the piece describes is a problem (but what idiot doesn't do some google searches before trying a drug, oh! yes, the drunk one!), but the social issues are the real problems here. But I guess it's easier to pass it off on to cannabis than wonder what we're doing to our teens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Get a metal reusable straw and leave it in the glove box, you'll get 5 for a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭chrissb8

I don't know.....50 million people in California or nations that have legalised and sell it seem to be doing fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

People overusing the word "woke." It's become such a crutch for people particularly right-wing snowflakes. One lad I saw was saying it was "woke" to volunteer time to help the Ukrainian refugees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

You know you can just buy reusable, cleanable metal straws? A bag of them is less than a tenner.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Or else just drink from the cup like normal adults do

Because depending on the person and why they volunteered, it could have been woke. As in the attitude of smug self-appointed moral superiority that tends to go with the woke crowd. There's been a lot of chatter online about volunteering, and then, trying to guilt trip others who haven't (without any chance of verification that the Op actually volunteered).. which is very similar to the woke mo. Also, Woke has simply replaced many of the attitudes which would have been assigned to the PC brigade.

But sure, people are overusing the term woke, just as people overuse the term right wing. Over time, people become lazy, or embrace extremes.. It's not going to go away.

Oh, and your use of "for people particularly right-wing snowflakes" is a dead giveaway. So you're biased from the get-go relating woke sentiments.

It's always going to be a mixed bad in terms of positive/negative consequences. It's also a bit early to estimate the true effects.

Still, it's really the only viable way forward. Having it illegal has done nothing to stop access, and had simply enriched criminal organisations. Legalising it would seriously put a dent in criminal activities, allow it to be regulated, and also allow a better product to be produced, thereby removing inferior or outright dangerous (due to mixing) products. Legalising makes perfect logical sense, as everything else has failed. Utterly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Who cares why someone is volunteering? Like you're trying really hard to sound like a "look behind the curtain" intellectual with these ponderous observations but in the real world it doesn't matter at all if someone gets a gooey feeling inside from helping others. It's just this bullsh!t cynicism from people who wouldn't bother their holes to help anyone out themselves.

I know that I would prefer it if someone was trying to help Ukrainian refugees out, even if it had a partly-performative motivation, than someone slagging those volunteers off loudly and proudly and even more performatively. And I bet every single one of the refugees would prefer it as well.

a bit early to tell yet but my point is more that its not a magic new medicine that cures all . recreational use and some medical use aside its not the silver bullet that some people claim and hope to make a lot of money from ,

Who cares why someone is volunteering?

It's not the volunteering that is any kind of issue. Obviously. It's the virtue signalling that often goes with it, and the need to elevate yourself over others. That's the issue with being "woke". I've volunteered many times in the past for a variety of causes, but I've never needed to get affirmation from others over those acts, or attempt to guilt trip others over not doing the same.

It's just this bullsh!t cynicism from people who wouldn't bother their holes to help anyone out themselves.

Nope. You have no idea what other people are doing. Just as I have no idea whether someone who comes on to boards, talking about volunteering, is actually doing what they preach. Sure, it's cynical.. it's also realistic. The internet is an awfully superficial kind of place. It's easy to talk big on an anonymous discussion board.

I know that I would prefer it if someone was trying to help Ukrainian refugees out, even if it had a partly-performative motivation, than someone slagging those volunteers off loudly and proudly and even more performatively. And I bet every single one of the refugees would prefer it as well.

So, my post was ponderous, but yours aren't? even when you need all that to deflect away from what I posted earlier... with a nice bit of presumptive moralising thrown in. Nice.

You're doing a great job at being the poster child for woke behaviour... you do realise that, don't you?

Using formatting tools on random words for emphasis.

• Advertisement

Being a dick when met with opposing views.

Love the #BeKind signature btw. Glad to see you're putting it into practice.

Grand. I'll leave it here.

Advertisement