Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not receiving full €200 government credit

Options
  • 23-04-2022 1:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi

Contacted PINERGY as only recieved €100 of the gov credit.

I live in apartment block they then advised that the mrpn is split so I would be only recieveing half of the gov credit even though explained that the people were all separate and withe different suppliers etc and had not heard of this before now. They then stated they could do nothing as it is the way the government allocated the credits to each mrpn all they could do was give me some customer Insentive if stayed with them for x amount of months is there anything I can do or contact?

Also the customer service adviser mentioned other people had same issue and one place had to split it by 15 has anyone had this issue or heards about this ? Have the government considered how there system works meaning that alot of the time people who are most vulnerable are loosing out? Is this just a think prepay meter companies are doing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭2010RACHEL

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Dr Karl

Contact the Commission for Regulation of Utilities

Also contact Conor Pope, he will publicise it at least

pricewatch@irishtimes.com and

pricewatch@rte.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 81,337 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Once you have your own meter you will have your own MPRN. Do you have your own meter? How are you billed?

We have our own prepay meter was not actually aware till today that this was not enough .We were advised by housing association able to choose what ever supplier etc but had stayed with the prepay to keep control of spending and bill.

Cant find anything in detail on pinergy but noted on prepay it does have a section mentioning sub accounts which seems to be the same situation pinergy are saying we are in. Feel is very miss leading for government to say all domestic accounts when clearly by the way they have rolled it out this is not going to be the case.

This is what prepay have on there site seems like a big amount of people will be loosing out especially if most apartment blocks are allocated as ours which is housing association.

I have Sub-Accounts in my property, what happens with them?

As the €200 is being issued per MPRN each sub account is only entitled to a portion of the credit depending on how many PrepayPower meters are connected to the MPRN e.g if there are 4 sub accounts each account would be entitled to €50. However PrepayPower have decided that we will top up each sub account to ensure that they all receive €100 each. Sub accounts will have their €100 credit applied/top up codes sent by April 25th. 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Not much you can do. Not having a go at the OP but this is the problem with going for companies like pinergy and prepay power who cut costs and corners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

That’s really unfair, you should try to kick up a stink about this. They obviously went with the easiest option for government to process, but badly thought out as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Is the standing charge split as that is also charged per MPRN?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

received mine today with electric Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 13,028 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I'm with Bord Gais.

Account is well in credit now due to the government credit applied but we have not received this physical bill yet, I can see it online.

Today, I got an email from BG to say I am in arrears as the last bill wasn't paid in full...well no it wasn't because I let the credit pay it off.

Is this a case of the computer not recognising the credit as "payment"?

Should I just ignore the email?

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

BG reduced the €200 credit down to €192.08 because of a vat reduction from 13.5% to 9% since may 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

Was your bill issued before the govt credit came through?

If so, they will still consider the full bill outstanding, and won't apply the credit until the next bill.

The last bill is technically still outstanding payment wise because like you say the credit came in after that.

However, I can see my account online and the credit has been applied and I am well in a credit balance but the paper bill hasn't issued yet.

I imagine a lot of people will get payment reminders based on waiting for the next bill with the credit to process, if that makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭martin6651

how would you know if you got the credit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

It's good for landlords who have multiple tenants in one house, you only have one esb meter but you can have a separate prepay meter for each tenant.

Thats why they arent getting the full credit, it's done on MPRN, which is the ESB meter, i actually think its quite good that the company is topping it up to 100 euro, they dont have to do that.

Ok that all sounds fair enough so, dosnt seem to be anyones fault, just one of those things and I’d just be glad I was getting the €100 free

I'm not sure whether each of those meters have to pay a standing charge individually, if they do it isn't fair, the government chose this way as it was the quickest and it's still taken 7-8 months and i havent had my credit yet. We'd probably have a childrens hospital before this credit if they made it more complicated.

• Advertisement

would be interested to know if the individual tenants are free to change prepay suppliers if they choose or even go bill pay

im sure you can't do either on your own, knew someone who rented a self contained flat within a converted house, was set up like that.

If you were to switch provider it would need to be the whole house, not just one prepay meter, and you'd want to trust all the other people if you went for bill pay.

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I just logged into my energia account to find I only have €192.08 credit. Pretty sure a couple of weeks ago I had €200 credit. I've had no bills since either.

Is this because of the change in vat rate from 13.5% to 9%?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Same here for EI...is that legal ? They applied 200 in April and sneakily changed it to 192 with entry in May !

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭measurement

If its like Electric Ireland, they had applied the €200, but last Friday reversed it, and over the weekend applied the €192.08. The thinking behind it is faulty... it has been applied as if it was a payment off a bill, not as a billing amount to which a vat rate would be applied, so if the govt intended everyone to have 200 less to pay, it has not been done correctly. However, thinking the way a bill is calculated wouldn't be a govt strength, so that's what happened.

The lack of a bill is also an EI issue. I haven't had a bill since 28th February, they say because they were waiting to apply the lower vat rate. But I don't want my electricity and heating bills arriving in the same month, so I hope they revert to the original schedule soon.

The government set the rebate at €176.22 plus VAT. With the VAT drop it's no longer €200. Nothing to do with the supplier.

Advertisement