Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reasonable Salary to Ask?

• 22-04-2022 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭

I've enquired about a role, it looks good for me and they're interested too. I worked for the organisation in the past.

Their contractor rates are in the region of 45/hr for this role. 40 hour week. Open end contract, clear road ahead.

Permanent positions may also be considered. What would be a reasonable permanent salary reflective of the contractor rate?

I think I read somewhere that contractor rate is about 20% over salaried. If this is the case, if 45 is 120%, a salary rate of 37.5/hr applies so?

Extrapolating this comes to about 78K a year, but it feels wrong. Too high. Contract rate say 40 hours a week, 45 weeks a year allowing for unpaid holidays, Christmas, Bank Holidays, comes out at 81K-ish.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,234 ✭✭✭✭fits

Employer costs are about 1.3 times salary and contractors need to cover their own PRSI and pension costs. Plus the risk of not having employee contract. So I’d say the equivalent salary would be lower than what you’ve calculated at about 63 k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Thanks, had thought somewhere around 65k alright, I knew it was too high with what I had above

• Registered Users Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

When you say contractor, do you mean as in gets paid on invoice and doesn't have tax deducted?

Or do you mean a fixed term employment contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Paid on invoice, no tax deducted.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

A very rough rule of thumb, as an employee you get about half the hourly rate of a real contractor.

But you do get paid annual leave, etc. And welfare contributions paid for.

• Advertisement
Advertisement