Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winding down in career

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,051 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Individual recruiters or even companies themselves advertise the roles, have a look at linkedin and job boards and filter on them. There's a couple of options on how to contract i.e. as an umbrella employee, umbrella director or your own plc, there's plenty of info on google for that and recruitment companies who offer services, as well as expected rates etc.

a quick search on linkedin for contract 'software engineer' positions in Ireland yields 121 results - https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/search/?currentJobId=3265205575&f_JT=C&geoId=104738515&keywords=software%20engineer&location=Ireland&refresh=true

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I was working a few years ago in a PS organisation where a new IT manager came in and was someone who sounds very much like you - coming in from the private sector, late 50s, not looking for a high-stress/long hours role with great wages any more, just wanting to do 9-5ish and willing to take a salary hit. They saw out their last few years before retirement with a lot less stress and enjoyed mentoring the IT staff there.

That's one viable option for you - publicjobs.ie advertises IT management roles it seems almost weekly.

Another option might be to look at a role in one of the tech companies that supply ICT service desk contractors - either as a sole trader subcontractor type (decent money) or just working directly for them (a lot less decent but even less stress). The likes of Harvey Nash, Capita, Hibernia Evros, etc.

Best of luck!

I'm in a sort of a similar situation OP.

I'm 51, and have one last kid starting college next year, mortgage paid. I run my own business doing some web development stuff, mainly WordPress, but some PHP framework stuff too. I have one large client I do a lot of general IT for and they are sucking all my time lately, and I am miserable. My wife works in the business too and she is doing most of the basic WordPress stuff now.

Would love to just do the WordPress / PHP stuff full time but the other client is good and steady income I can't risk losing. If my youngest was through college I'd make the jump and really give it a go to build the business. Have very little savings as was hammered with the crash and spent ages clearing debt, don't want to go there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Advertisement