Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are container converted homes a realistic option?

Options
  • 22-04-2022 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

So I saw the following article online about a firm in Dundalk that converts shipping containers into homes. I genuinely think they look good. I would have no problem living in one when basing that decision on the appearance of such property. The homes come fully furnished and they can be moved at any time. The only issue is that the buyer must sort out the planning permission aspect which isn't that bad. I assume that the buyer will as have to get the home connected with water and sewage.

The cost is probably my favourite aspect of this. With a one-bedroom - 60k and two-bedroom - 70K. This would leave a mortgage easier to be paid off in a shorter amount of time with cheaper repayments.

This is where I become unsure about it. I wonder what if it withstands the Irish water, as well as a concrete home, would? Would there be extra effort required to maintain the home? I suppose the fact that this is a new idea/alternative is what has be doubting this. I don't want to be costing more money a few years down the line. Now it probably won't and I could well be wrong in my view. What is the opinions here on this option? I would generally love to be educated on the matter!

Thanks in advance.

Link: https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2021/1025/1255778-container-homes/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I don't see them working for a lot of people. And they certainly can't be moved at any time. It's going to take a chunk of planning and money if you want to shift it. The price of a site alone to put it somewhere, in Dublin, would be extortionate.

A site in Drumcondra recently went for about €340,000. So stick a container on that and you're looking at over half a million to live in a container in Drumcondra.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

No. Container homes are not a solution. Containers are designed for transporting materials, not for living in so to make them habitable they need a lot of alterations. You can only use new containers too as you can't guarantee that old ones have not been used to transport hazardous materials.

Container homes seem like a great idea at first glance but on closer inspection it's obvious that they are a terrible choice for home building. That's why they remain an exotic choice.

A modular house is a far far better choice than a shipping container.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No

Containers are not cheap, often seems to be this idea you can pick them up for basically nothing.

I suspect you'd never get planning permission anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

You wont get planning for them. No matter what those guys say.

However, if you plant one in your garden and say nothing, ive never heard of anyone actually ever having an issue with planning.

Lots of people living in log cabin and container type buildings in their parents back yard around where I live. Some have been there for over 20 years, though most of them have appeared in the last 10 years. Not one has had a visit from planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Don't worry this is Ireland! The nimbys would **** themselves if shipping container homes were in their area and no doubt there's red tape and restrictive planning to overcome.

But personally I'm in favour, my favorite home ever featured in Grand Designs was a container home build in the north.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

There's one in Ringsend that's worth looking into. You can find it online if your search.

Visited it a few years back. Lovely home, and scope to expand upwards as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

They really aren't worth the hassle to convert. Fine for a workshop but not a home. Below shows why the idea is spread and also why they ignore the real issues of their use. You certainly need insulation

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

Also, no bank will give you a mortgage on a container.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,731 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I see no reason why 50,000 of these are not scattered around the country, I'm sure all those refugees would not say no to them.

The Uk use a lot of these to house people, BETTER THAN NOTHING

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,978 ✭✭✭✭rob316

• Registered Users Posts: 35,731 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I'd never cluster them all together though, But a stand alone home, in a nice locations would look very modern, very artsy

Advertisement