Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Director of Management Company stalling sales

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

You have to do what is best for you here, it the medium term it will cost you more money and you can try to go after him but it would be a fool's errand. Pay the money get shot of the apartment, and mortgage costs, be free of it.

Then get your solicitor to draft to each of the residents outlining the demands how the sale was frustrated and delayed, that shortly legal papers will be filed seeking redress. Watch the sh1t hit the fan after that. Make a complaint to the companies office against the company and it's auditors. Write to the auditors pointing out that the director is legally barred from being a director.....

• Registered Users Posts: 28 April 2022

He got rid of the accounts and auditor that were in place for the past 25 years and his friend acting as accountant and auditor. The company address also has the same address as his accountant friend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

All the same pay up get free of it then later make a complaint for the companies office or Gardi for Fraud.

April, he can’t have done this in an OMC without the support of members. If he has that support, not much you can do. Owner apathy is the ruination of OMCs, people don’t attend, then complain about the decisions made.

Dav, it’s very difficult to even begin to explain what this place is like. He blocked us from attending in December 2020 (wouldn’t send us a link) and would only let my husband attend in December 2021. The reason he hates us is that we questioned outgoings on the accounts €20,000 going to him under a company name, which isn’t licensed). Since then when we receive our annual invoice, he adds other amounts in to them and when you question this he adds 15% interest on etc etc. A fair few of the apartments are now vacant, as he terrorised the tenants so much. I can’t even begin to get into what he has done, as I would be here all night. Our solicitor has said that if the sale falls through, he will be sued for all costs, this is not just an idea I came up with myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

You and the others that are taking legal action need to create and sign a joint letter. Outline briefly the grievances and the fact that legal action will cost in the region of €10-€15,000 per case should it proceed to court.

These costs would have to be paid by the management company - effectively paid by you the other occupants. It will work out at a minimum of €xxxx per apartment.

Then add - a change to management would see significant savings to all occupiers of several hundred euro a year.

Then call an egm with the proposal that you switch to xxx management - and have a quote from a reputable management company.

With so many price rises, now is the time to get it changed

Does anyone know if this bill could be offset against our CGT bill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you have an invoice for it, then likely yes. It's part of the cost of doing the sale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭Lofidelity

What do the other directors and management agents have to say about this person?

Has he a job and the gardening etc is a tax free nixer?

He can't block you from the Agm either, the management agent organises this and sends the email link.

• Advertisement

The other directors obey him, they have no say. He organises everything there including the links for the AGM. The older residents there think he’s fantastic. He needs them in his side to get votes. Unfortunately, there is no management agent, just this individual.

He does some cleaning and gardening. He goes out of his way to be horrible to people, he’s absolutely hideous. He’s demanding €10,000 from another owner, but said he would drop this if he rejoined the committee and dropped his case against him!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭Lofidelity

That's an unusual situation but it does happen with older and smaller apartment developments. Has he a Psra licence? Did you know about the management situation before buying? At the Agm the directors and agent have to be approved so thats the time to say you want change. He cannot stop you attending the Agm, as an owner you have a legal right to be there.

It might be useful to speak to other owners and find out who's with you and who's against.

I bought in 1995! I was 20! This person wasn’t there then. He bought in 2007 and came on our radars in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

this is correct.

Again, the PRSA might be a good and quick way to go. It is illegal for him to be providing property management services for a fee without a licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Director or not he must be PSRA registered if he is charging for his work.

I could be wrong, but I get the impression from the op’s posts that he charges for the maintenance work rather than for acting in the capacity of Managing Agent. The op might clarify this. Whether it is due to the opaque way this Director seems to dictate how the OMC is run, or due to the way the op seems to be uncertain how an OMC operates, I don’t think we are getting the full picture here.

• Advertisement

He is not a management agent. He is a director of the OMC (all owners are members of this). He has taken it upon himself to act far outside his remit as director. He has the final say in every last thing that takes place in this complex. He carries out work and either charges other owners for this without any invoices etc or takes it out of the income going in each year from our maintenance fees. He has a name for his “company”, but this is not licensed.

Advertisement