Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Impact of non standard length and lie in irons?

Options
  • 19-04-2022 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭

I have recently been offered a set of irons for a great price that i am very keen on.

However they are 0.5" longer and 1 degree upright. I am playing standard shafts at the moment (just under 6ft tall) and a low 20s handicap - would say iron striking is probably my strongest part of my game.

WIll the adjusted shafts be a huge impact or small enough to manage? If not, would is be easy/feasible to adjust the shafts back to standard length and lie?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 sean.ocall

It will cost you about €5 a club to get them bent back to standard lie. Do you know that's what you need though? I need 2 degrees upright and I'm not that much taller than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭dazzday

No idea to be honest - only going based on that i play with standard irons at the moment (regular flex but would be looking at stiff based on swing speed)

Set im using now are Wilson D200 with Uniflex shafts and the set i have been offered are Wilson D7 forged with KBS Taper Lite 100 in stiff flex - a nice upgrade and definately something prettier for the bag!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Just on my personal experience, I didn't get on very well with the D7 Forged in a very similar spec to that. Great club out of the middle, but they'll be significantly less forgiving than your current set for anything off centre.

They're strong lofted but I actually dropped about a club in average distance with them versus the set I had prior to them.

Could be just down to poor striking from me.

I'm currently a 7.6 index, for reference

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭dazzday

Thanks for the feedback - going to try and see if i can try out the C300 forged at a local shop as I am assuming they are reasonably similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Go to a Mizuno fitting they have a device attached to their fitting club that gives data like lie and length, as well as shaft recommendations.

Also go to Ping.com and go through their fitting tool it can give you an indication too. It’s not just about your night it’s your arm length too. And your swing may show you need a flat lie or an upright lie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

the extra length could cause you to start catching the ground first, or it could cause you to lift up on the shot to stop doing this.

The 1 degree upright will also have an affect, the more upright a club the more left the loft will point, the flatter a club the more right the loft will point.

1 degree of lie difference is pretty minimal to be honest i doubt you would even notice that, the length though you will notice, as your 5 iron will now be 4 iron length etc. If you wedges are standard length you will have a big difference in length between your PW and 50 degree if you have one.

Advertisement