Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend smart cylinder thermostat

Options
  • 19-04-2022 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭

Hi

Could anyone recommend a smart cylinder thermostat. Trying to improve my BER rating and one of the items suggested was a cylinder thermostat. I guess I could just get a simple dumb one, but if I am getting one, I'd prefer to spend the bit extra and have the ability to check the temperature on my phone.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

You might be better spending money on smart heating controls to turn on/off heating/water etc

I have installed mine which will increase the BER but I don't really need to know what temp the water is on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

@brokenangel Yeh I already have a Nest which controls the heating and hot water. The reality is that the cylinder thermostat will really have no bearing on my energy usage as I have the hot water set on a schedule already and the Nest won't be able to take the output of the cylinder thermostat and make decisions based off it (to not heat if there's enough hot water etc). I guess it might be handy for instances when I'm not sure if I have hot water and I can check an app on my phone rather than running the hot water tap to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

Fletch, apologies if seen to be hijacking this thread.

I also have Nest, and about 2 years ago put a thermostat on the cylinder directly back to the boiler to ensure we always had hot water - removed an electric shower so this was priority.

We are now in the market of getting Solar PV with Eddi for heating the water. Nest is fine, but to my mind doesnt provide the flexibility or functionality i would like to control the various inputs etc (i.e. Gas heating v's Gas Hot Water v's Solar Hot Water). Is there a set up / control system that would provide this?

(Again, sorry if seen as a hijack, but similar enough topic so thought it beneficial here)

I love a smart anything but something I probably think is overkill as it looks like a 100+ to buy plus installation would probably be 100 euro. I do have an eddi installed on the cylinder and that is connected to PV so it is kind of smart but it won't tell me the temp.

I invested in smart TRV so I could set the room temp in every room instead of just on/off as I found the standard ones not great.

I have Drayton Wiser to control the heating, which then controls the smart radiator thermostats. Then I have Eddi which is controlling the hot water from the solar.

On the Drayton Wiser I do have the option to heat the water via it so I use this in winter. Now the solar is up and running so most days the tank is hot anyway from the excess on the solar but I do have the option to boost. The Eddi doesn't have an app out of the box unless you buy a controller module.

From what you are asking you wont have one system to control everything, not at the moment. You will have different systems connected

The thermostat on the cylinder, what system did you put in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

Haven't a clue what was put in, it's a direct link from cylinder to boiler.

Advertisement