Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi hotspot vs a fibre connection

Options
  • 16-04-2022 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭

My fibre internet connection (40 eu a month) is down and so I am using my samsung galaxy as a temporary hotspot until this is sorted

In a way I am quite happy with this workaround

I use the 20eu a month pay ( chat extra) package.

But should I be very cautious in case I damage my phone?

It gets quite warm when used this way ,but it tends to get warm anyway in normal usage.

In general what might be reasons for choosing a finre connection rather than a payg package used as a wifi hotspot?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,389 ✭✭✭✭zell12

It took you this long to use this better value 'workaround'? The only issue is the phone battery will expire quicker over time

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭AllForIt

There is no harm in itself of your phone getting hot except as said the battery will wear out faster. All phone battery's wear out the more it's used and recharged. With heavy use after a year. You will have to keep your phone permanently plugged in too because it won't last long on hotspot. You won't damage the phone itself though.

So it's not as convenient as home wifi but it is cheaper. I do it but I use a second phone with a second sim. I have the 48months plan X 2 when it was available on special offer for €7.99 each, 100GB limit per sim. I used to do it on a single 3 plan, €20 euro per 28 days but no download limit cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭amandstu

Just saw the replies. Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭EarWig

You could also put the SIM card in an old router, but I don't bother.

I use a Galaxy S7 and get about 10 hours before needing to recharge. Though that depends on use.

I've been really surprised by how well it works.

Advertisement