Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,658 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Lots of the hostility toward this is people not wanting an African leading such an important company.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,616 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I, for one, welcome our new Twitter overlord Elon Musk.

However, I don't think the platform will change that much. Things change when you actually own the business and have responsilities to it.

Some of Musk ideological ideas on Twitter will now be quietly pushed to the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭AyeGer

It will become an even more abusive and polarising platform than it is. The return of Trump and a lot of his right wing followers, Tommy Robinson and his rag tag of malcontents, Milo, and other sh*tstirrers like him. It will be like going back to 2016.

It will be entertaining for a week or 2. But get a bit grim after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Shane Coleman is an insufferable egomaniac.

Hyperbole is his bread and butter, NT is stuffed to the gills with his ilk.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Should we start panicking now?

When will the Twitter logo be replaced with a swastika?

The good old days of left leaning Twitter are gone, the world is doomed but at least they took Musk's money.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,894 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I was talking about profits , not valuations. Maybe I’m old fashioned, but profits are sanity, valuations are vanity for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Any more news on the Musk making the algorithms OpenSource? That would be interesting in fairness. It may create a much more transparent platform, and get rid of the bots.

I imagine it will take a good bit of work to actually get the algorithm into a repo that can be viewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Was he one of the "Twitter is a private company" fools a few years ago when they banned Trump, but now he does a u-turn and gives us the "Twitter is the digital Town Square" speil?

Funny eh? They are all coming out of the woodwork now.

The ironic thing is we actually have little to no idea of Musk's political leanings. He is more libertarian than anything, which of course scares many people because they can control him or his platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

it seems to be really annoying all the right people

which is a good sign

• Advertisement

• I would honestly looove to see the algorithms behind Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Jack Dorseys comment today isn't very flattering to the current CEO. Whatevers going on there nobody will ever know.

One thing is for sure though and it's that Dorsey doesn't support hate speech, online bullying or whatever else it is that Musk is currently being accused of promoting

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭conorhal

I suspect part of the panic about the sale of Twitter to Musk is the realisation that he might reveal exactly what their algorithms are up. I've seen reports from a couple of people I follow that say they have inexplicably gained hundreds (and in some cases thousands) of followers over the past few days. Their suspicion of course is that Twitter are frantically deleting all evidence of 'shadow bans' and that has caused their accounts to gain greater visibility, which at least anecdotally confirms that there has been all sorts of shady, politically motivated supression of user tweets which have suddenly been reversed to hide evidence of political bias.

I also suspect that a lot of the salt coming from the 'blue checkmark brigade' is down to the fact that Musk has suggested a 'blue checkmark' should apply to anybody that verifies their identity (as was intended from the start and always should have been the case). They're horrified at the thought that when everybodys a checkmark, their special status as checkmark royalty will be lost and they will become just part of the herd with no special elevation of their visibility by the algorithm.

Post edited by conorhal on

The issue, as I see it, that people have with this takeover is the idea that an uber wealthy individual, whomever they maybe, can takeover the medium that is setting itself as the global "townsquare", the virtual equivalent of the ancient Roman Forum. Musk declares that it is to protect the integrity of such a forum that he is completing the takeover. And even though I have serious doubts as to Musks motivations and feel it his his super ego and desire to project influence rather than his integrity that is driving him, he may well have and maintain good intentions. However should what is proporting to be an independent platform be subject to individual whims? A truly independent platform that seeks to maintain an independence and foster debate should be incorporated as an equivalent of an NGO.

Now, that is all based on the assumption is that Twitter is or could be the equivalent of the global townsqure where discourse is started and open debate is fostered. What Twitter actually reminds me of is the first time I visited Hyde park Corner on a Sunday morning. A crown of odd lunatics ranting vacuously with anything of any real substance getting drowned out in the din of nonsense

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I can only laugh at the attempts by some people to liken twitter to the Roman Forum as if twitter is actually a place that has any honour or integrity. Twitter in the form of a public square is more akin to the beheadings in France, more humanitarian apparently -

Guillotin beseeched his fellow lawmakers to follow their egalitarian principles and adopt a more humanitarian and equitable system of capital punishment whereby all criminals, irrespective of class, would be beheaded. In 1791 the National Assembly made decapitation the only legal form of capital punishment in France, but the state executioner, Charles-Henri Sanson, knew this presented practical problems. A fourth-generation executioner for whom capital punishment was the family business, Sanson warned the National Assembly that beheading by sword was an inexact science that would require dozens of skilled executioners, scores of fresh swords and a means of securing felons to guarantee quick cuts. “Swords have very often broken in the performance of such executions, and the Paris executioner possesses only two,” he wrote.

https://www.history.com/.amp/news/the-guillotines-first-cut

• Registered Users Posts: 82,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I see, you call my post droll, fine; I call your post droll, UGH, abusive ad hominem claptrap 🤡

go read what you wrote. Where is your high horse?

So would a lot of hackers. I doubt this will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,675 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Elon Musk is buying Twitter.

CNN+ is shutting down.

Disney is being reined in.

The tide is turning, it's a bad time to be woke.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭briany

If Twitter is truly the global town square, then God help us all. It has not fostered nuanced discussion. It has promoted this idea of virtual gang warfare and who can come up with the wittiest burn in the smallest amount of characters for the most likes. It has shortened attentions spans, made people think in a more shallow way, allowed misinformation to propagate and division to be sown, all for profit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Cordell

Is quite fascinating how your everyday anti-progressive sees Elon Musk as some sort of champion 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 14,675 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Exactly, the lazy argument against those who felt the Twitter policies and algorithms did not facilitate open discussion on topics and tweets was that it is a private company that can set its own policies. Now these same people are being forced to eat humble pie, but they are totally oblivious to how ignorant their stance was.

Further, the irony of a lot of journalists writing about a billionaire owner taking over twitter when many of them write for publications of billionaire owners is truly succulent.

I would class it as people who consistently jump on a popular victimhood bandwagon and pretend to champion it, not because they care, but because they are concerned with looking like they care.

People who are led with emotion rather than truth, usually people who think any criticism of any aspect of a cause they believe in is rooted in some sort of phobia or racism.

That's just my interpretation of it.

I don't like the word personally and find it very overused

I mean very little has changed in that regard, in fact Twitter will be even more of a private company when the deal is finalized and Musk takes it off the stock exchange. It will still very much be a private company and free to do what it wants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

I used to hate it because it was just a one-way communication podium for celebrities to promote their shite. The good old days.

Advertisement