Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UK will finally off shore illegal asylum seekers crossing the channel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Fasano

so the UK should change its laws like the EU has and should set up overseas centres for processing applications, like the EU has to stop thousands making the perilous journey across the Med?

I do love the way you somehow think the UK is different to any other country.

With climate change, drought world hunger along with your standard wars, dictators etc, were only going to see more of this- I guarantee you more and more countries will adopt this approach- this is not just about any current immigrant “situation” this is about vast numbers of people needing to move towards western counties in the coming years because their own countries are no longer habitable for whatever reason.

Putin is creating this situation for Europe right now but local despots throughout the world are doing it on their own continents too.

well see “tough measures” in many western countries by the end of the decade before the actual tidal wave of people start moving towards the west. We’ve already seen how inhospitable UK has been to Ukrainians - it’s no surprise their taking this action

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I think in time the whole idea of asylum and the legal application of it will be reviewed.

not just the UK but everywhere, I think as pertains to the EU especially. In the UK Leo McKinstry, historian, journalist and author as well as a former Labour die hard and candidate and councillor for Islington the most progressive, left wing and liberal area of London by a long shot… has seen the impact of mass immigration on London and the UK… as have I… I’ve a connection with that part of London, specifically Pentonville road, for around 20 years and what was a busy yet leafy, hippyish, cool enclave…

you can’t move now, traffic is at a standstill all day, despite being well served by public transport…. I used to get a lift to kings cross, that took about 15 minutes, in traffic ! , last time at 2.30 on a Wednesday or Thursday it took 35….city is like Dublin will become, congested, over populated, over subscribed public transport network and roadways… the lessons are borne out elsewhere…. We don’t heed what’s happening elsewhere and get this idea of ‘we have to help people’ out of our thinking…

we don’t, we pay taxes to achieve a certain level of wellbeing and happy for ourselves….we are getting and have been getting little bang for our buck the last 8-10 years unfortunately…getting shafted in terms of public transport, housing and healthcare.

hospital waiting lists at an all time high before covid.

Negligible expansion of public transport options.

Chronic shortage of prison places to enable our safety.

Metro no closer…

so why are we worrying about what’s happening to other people in other countries ? Always going to be war, famine, injustice and problems in the world…sooner we are of the ability to quit sacrificing our wellbeing to enable that of others and get this country on track again to work for, suppport and enable the wellbeing and successes of our citizens as the FIRST priority before anyone else, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭irishproduce

I was referring to Ireland's problem, where basically the opposite has been found to be true i.e. the overwhelming majority are bogus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

Or the uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Margaret Clarke

Am I missing something? Are they being sent “back” to Rwanda regardless of where they originally came from?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

its nonsense to try and distract the cult fans from bojja's rampant law breaking.

it wouldn't surprise me if it actually does happen but the expensivity of it among many other reasons mean it is beyond dum.

will keep the rampant racists happy though.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,625 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The simple fact is we are getting to the point that there are too many people on the planet.

World Population 1980 4 billion

World Population 2022 8 billion

Will it be 14 billion in 2050?

I think life within our lifetime will be very different, it's already started with shortages or food, homes, fuels

You'll only squeeze so many clowns into a Mini

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

All the usual suspects will cry in horror but the UK has made a mess of immigration over the last 50 years. It is also the no 1 option for most of the world to want to get to bar America which for most of the developing world is too difficult unless your based on that continent already.

It has to do something or else what had been occurring with the channel crossings will just continue and become even more of an issue.

The UK getting in early as they can see the way the world is going. I'd like to see a poll of the UK population for this. I suspect it will have majority support.

That said you can expect opposition parties and the NGO apparatus/Human rights groups/The Guardian to mount a legal defence.

Most people in the “well healed” west are just a few pay packets from public riots and government over-throw.

“Looking after our own” is a completely outdated concept- your perceived security in life is the greatest illusion of our time- from your post you have absolutely no idea how your current economic position in society is maintained nor the threats to it - you are living in a dream world if you think immigration is a big threat to your current economic way of life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’m living in real world, sorry. It’s a big threat to our economic, but more our overall wellbeing. Saw it, experienced it, consulted with healthcare representatives who agree.

the UK found it to their cost, and did something about it… they had to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

An honest question, why are people going from France to the UK deemed to be asulym seekers?

Why is France so unattractive?

Edit: apologies, I see similar above

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

But do they,

It seems the vast majority like here simply disappear from the asylum process once they have access to welfare and pps numbers (UK equivalent)

It's not like we Haven't seen cases where individuals have fled to the UK or gone there to study ,then after a few years pop over here to claim asylum

Wrong post quoted- Apologies Luxembourgo for misunderstanding. Completely my fault.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Widescreen

I guess at the end of the day the UK is not a puppet of the EU anymore and can make decisions such as the one being discussed here, irrespective of whether we agree or not with it. At least they have control of the numbers of people coming into their country and will use a proper process to bring them in and try and reduce the risk of the less desirable element getting in.

Let's face it, in Ireland we can't even reduce the price of heating oil without being threatened that the VAT rate will rocket back to the high rate of VAT in the event of the VAT cut being reversed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Oh you know me so well..

It was a genuine question, France is a good country, in the first world and in the EU. Its by all accounts a treacherous journey across the channel.

I have zero issues with people from different ethicnicities, in fact I rather like and am friends with a number of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,278 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Might suck a little bit more if you were trying to escape Rwanda.

Sorry- I've been quoting the wrong person. You came up as a quote when I was replying to someone else. Disregard everything I've said to you. it was meant for another poster. I'm editing the other post now.

Since I mis-quoted your post earlier, and again apologies I don't know how your post got into my reply box, I'll answer your question.

Not sure why they SHOULD be classed as asylum seekers - if they're in France, that should be the end of them seeking asylum I would have thought. That's why they don't like getting "registered" there as it may prevent them claiming elsewhere.

In terms of why UK?

Many reports online state that people trying to reach UK have family there or know someone there, or they speak the language. France, apparently also has a bad record of how they treat homeless immigrants.

I find it strange myself, considering France has so many immigrants but again, there's a lot of ghettos in France. I travelled down south of France some years ago, stayed in a B&B type accommodation- my god, without prompt, the landlord just started into a racist rant- so meeting one racist when on holiday in France, does not make a racist country- absolutely- it's anecdotal at most but in Paris at least, there's certainly a lot of ghettos and that has to be due to a lack of integration. But the main reason seems to be the language and family

• Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Could be bad news for us because if its seen as being more difficult to get to the UK we might be seen as the next best option, and Ireland is already seen as a soft mark when it comes to immigration.

• Advertisement

Considering we've had people living in the UK for a number of years before deciding to claim asylum here for whatever reason

• Registered Users Posts: 35,625 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

In fairness a refugee is suppose to seek refuge in the first safe country they reach. What is the fascination with UK, when they're already on mainland Europe

Looks like the migrants have finally killed the golden goose

More opportunities apparently ,it's all about Money making schemes ,

Sky interviewed an African Chap picked up in the med ,he wasn't fleeing war or famine or facing persecution, he owned multiple businesses in Africa and was going to the UK to make more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The figures involved in this are insane...but I suppose this will play well to some of the Tory voter base

Nope. Try again.

A refugee has refugee status and does not need to claim anything anywhere.

an asylum seeker, is someone seeking asylum. And no there is no laws that states they have to apply for asylum in the first country they get to.

'migrant'

A person who moves from one place to another.

Speaking at a press conference in Kent, Johnson said the scheme was needed to “save countless lives” from human trafficking by breaking the business model of people smugglers.

“The deal we have done [with Rwanda] is uncapped, and Rwanda will have the capacity to resettle tens of thousands of people in the years ahead. And let’s be clear, Rwanda is one of the safest countries in the world, globally recognised for its record of welcoming and integrating migrants,” he said.

Asked about the poor human rights record in Rwanda, where some groups have logged the torture of detainees, he said: “Rwanda has totally transformed. Over the last few decades it has totally transformed from what it was.”

Ah yeah, they'll be grand. It's a real sliding doors moment. If only Johnson didn't break the rules. I see at least one resignation has happened since, hopefully more to come.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

A rather cursory knowledge of geography would emphasis how ridiculous a suggestion that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,954 ✭✭✭✭rob316

How in god's name are you supposed to cross from Calais to Ireland in a dinghy?

Advertisement