Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burger King Hygene

Options
  • 13-04-2022 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I went to burger King last week in the outer retail area of Liffey Valley shopping centre with my wife and we ordered two burger meals and asked for onion to be put on both burgers.

When I sat down I realised there was no onion on my burger, so I went back to the counter and asked for some to be put on the burger. I was shocked by what I saw. The burger was brought into the back and the wrapper was opened and the burger was just mauled with bare hands, no gloves. When I said it to staff I was told there is no requirement for them to wear any and that they wash there hands every half hour. I said it was discusting and could not eat it. I had bought fries and chicken strips which I did eat but I left the burger because the thought of eating it made me physically ill. I will never eat in burger King ever again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

I get where you're coming from, but if hand hygiene is up to scratch, bare hands are often much cleaner than gloves.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Gloves provide a false sense of security at best. Often its significantly worse - people assume that they don't need to change gloves because "my hands didn't get dirty because I was wearing gloves"

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bolray

Not if there after been up a nostril or some other orifice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭irelandrover

And gloves that have been up someones nose are ok?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

A glove can be up a nostril or some other orifice too. Good chance whoever is wearing them won't change the glove as often as they wash their hands in an establishment that practices strict hand hygiene measures, so perhaps it was up a few orifices.

What you saw is fairly common practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

^ with or without the glove on? Could be either, glove wouldn’t make much difference unless the person takes the glove off first then puts it (or a new one) back on after.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Was the person handling the burger also working the til?

Handling money and food without changing gloves/washing hands is obviously a no-no.

If they're dedicated food preppers I imagine it's fine, with proper hand washing. You wouldn't wear gloves making a burger at home.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Get over it, OP.

Food is routinely handled with bare hands in food preparation. To be honest, I'd say a chain like BK would be one of the safest places you could eat from a food hygiene perspective - they are highly regulated and have had systems in place for years.

It's just a person's hands. Really, get over it. I'm sure there are far better reasons to not eat in BK!!

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Obvious troll here IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Get Real

Yeah OP, a glove isn't some magic barrier and they sometimes give a false sense of security.

I've seen it plenty of times in combo retail/delis where staff accept cash with gloves on, then go and make a sambo with said gloves. Yet, you might walk in and see gloves being used and think "grand".

Frequently washed hands is much more hygienic and makes people more aware of handwashing imo. As opposed to gloves being a free pass to do whatever.

Would have no problem eating BK or Maccy Ds etc. It's more sterile than a friend's Bbq or mams kitchen. (I'm not staying the food is better) Only difference is you know the person. But we don't check the temperature of our fridge every day is below 4c or probe meat at the start of every day to check its above 70c do we? Do you swab your chopping board every day at home?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I don't think so, people get squeamish about all sorts of stuff - and they think everyone else feels the same.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Seem to recall Eddie rockets used to have a sign up about it. Frequent hand washings and the wash left some kind of antibacterial barrier.

Onions come as standard.

You ask for your burger to not have onions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Xander10

I think you will find, especially with fine dining, that the food presented on the plate is very much handled with bare hands. You have to presume that the chefs etc and adhering to health and safety standards.

some people do have a phobia about it. My little phobia is, I hate seeing a Chef outside smoking, I get it into my head that they go straight back to handling the food and forget to wash their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

How did you think the burger got in the box/wrapper in the first place? Before you returned it? Some kind of telekinesis maybe?

You have never eaten a burger out that hasn't been handled

What burger was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭thefallingman

too many mentions of orifices in this thread for my liking 😂

^ And that is before we consider the cut of meat.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Better eat at home from now on or learn something about foot hygiene. Although my bet would be that your home food hygiene is worse than Burger King.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

In a Michelin star restaurant I visited, I saw a chief warm a chicken fillet under his arm pit and franticly blow on a plate to arrange garnish. Bare hands in food preparation is standard practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Who is playing you in the movie? catch on to yourself ya drama queen I've got news for you every single meal you've ever eaten out has been handled by someone at some point.

Advertisement