Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hate Crime

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

The Sligo murder is chilling. I admittedly don't know the full facts yet, but it's very much looking like he met a guy on Grindr/Tinder and this was the result. Shades of the Stephen Port murders. Poor man, may he RIP.

Post edited by yerwanthere123 on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,125 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

ILGA have constantly called out the government for not properly addressing hate crime in Ireland, every single year :(

Their 2021 rainbow report ILGA made 2 recommendations

https://www.rainbow-europe.org/#8639/0/0

• Registered Users Posts: 40,742 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,285 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Escalation of events with another murder victim in Sligo found last night, but thankfully an arrest has been made.

RTE seem to be implying there's a link between both deaths.

Man arrested after body discovered in Sligo house (rte.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

A horrible week. The attack on the rugby player outside the George and 2 murders in Sligo. Ireland is a wonderful place to live, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else, but it's so clear in the last 10 years there's a shift in tone as to how we discuss hate crimes. It starts at the most basic level, an acceptance that we are allowed to be apart of society, and to me that begins with tolerating agenda-skewed questions on radio talkshows and hate-filled articles in mainstream publications. It's how social media is policed and how it's policies are enforced. And then it's how willing society is to put up with clear hate crimes because the tolerance for ripping down Pride flags only emboldens those who would like to go further to hurt and kill LGBTQ+ people.

It's great and wonderful that, by and large, we can live our lives openly and freely in this country. But to me there's no question at all that the more comfortable we've become in being ourselves over the last 10 years, it has had the effect of making those on the opposite side more open in their hatred. You stamp out hate at it's very root.

• Advertisement

I think its more in the last 6 years there has been a shift in attitudes ably assisted internationally by many such as Trump, Johnson, Orban and Putin.

Those who were slightly intolerant of us in Ireland before are no longer afraid to show their intolerances and now its outright abusive hate.

We can see lots of other things going on in the mix here too; Gemma O'Dohertys rise. Roderic O'Gorman being labelled a paedophile, homophobic abuse outside Leo Varadkars home, Transphobic vitriolic hate at some of the Yellow Vest rallies, the TENI CEO leaving Ireland because of constant harassment and death threats, The so called "lgb alliance" (transphobic hate group) campaigning to remove homophobic/transphobic bullying campaign material from schools, burning and ripping down pride flags, transphobic stickers all over abusive. Disgusting transphobic letters to the Irish Times.....

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I understand that some vigils will be organised around Ireland in response to recent homophobic attack in Dublin and alleged hate crimes in Sligo

Limerick Vigil will be Monday 18th

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/789541/vigil-to-be-held-in-limerick-for-murdered-sligo-men.html

Terry Pratchet

Terry Pratchet

Cork 2019

A key witness in the trial, Kathleen O'Brien, said that Mr Hourihane "was killed for no other reason than he was gay".

Ms O’Brien said that she threw herself over Mr Hourihane, trying to protect him from a vicious attack in which she said both Brady and another man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, repeatedly stamped on his head.

Although Dr Margot Bolster, the State pathologist, mentioned no evidence of injury to the groin in her autopsy report, Ms O'Brien said that Brady had opened Mr Hourihane’s legs and said to the other man, "Go on, kick him, he’s only a ****".

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

Man set to be charged in Sligo District Court at 16.45 today.

Such a sad few days. I've thought about the tragedy a lot.

• Advertisement

Post edited by Annasopra on

Terry Pratchet

Another incident in Dublin yesterday. So terrible.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I'm wondering why there is no description of the assailant, same for the Dame St incident.

No thoughts, sympathy, empathy at all with the victims more thinking that theres an angle on who the perpetrator is.

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

Terry Pratchet

It seems LGBT equality is going backwards in Ireland

https://gcn.ie/queer-victim-attack-dublin/

Terry Pratchet

No physical description of the perpetrators? Said in the article it was 'a man and a woman'.Why nothing more descriptive than that? Surely we need a photofit of these scumbags?

Post edited by AllForIt on

Sounds to me like you care more about the perpetrators skin colour and religion than the victim

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭SourSessions

Has this been retracted?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Yes, looks like someone jumped the gun in reporting before verifying, here's GCN's statement.

I'm not going to express any sympathy for something I don't even know occurred.

• Advertisement

I'm afraid that statement is not good enough.

How on earth are we to believe reports from them of homophobic attacks in future.

They have to explain in detail how this happened, otherwise they are not credible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,125 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Their phone number and email address is on their website

Let us know how you get on

Gay people are not living 'in fear of their lives' in Ireland as stated in GCN.

Oh and btw, stop deleting my posts in this forum.

It seems like you have a weird agenda consisting of denying hate crime against LGBT people, if it did happen blaming it all on immigrants and muslims and then deciding even though you dont live in the country to appoint yourself as a spokesperson for gay people in Ieland. Noted that you dont seem to acknowledge LBT seem to exist.

Terry Pratchet

Mod - Off topic posts have been deleted, keep the discussion on topic please which is hate crimes against LGBT people in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Astartes

Isn't murder and assault already a crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

Motive though is the amplifying factor, eg racism, homophobia

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Astartes

So? A crime is a crime, no?

Instead of Hate Crime how about Super Crime? Or Super Duper Crime? Surely you'll get the folks on board with such linguistics

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

clearly a crime is not a crime. otherwise we wouldn't have different penalties for different crimes. Assaults and murders prompted by hatred should be treated more severely than crime that are not.

• Advertisement

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement