Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hydraulic Brakes - Mixing Shifters & Calipers from different groupsets

• 12-04-2022 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

Folks,

My current bike has a Shimano 105 hydraulic shifter (ST-RS505) and brake caliper (BR-RS505) combo - I need to replace one (if not both) of my aging calipers - one appears to have developed a leak around one of the pistons, and the other seems to have a sticky piston - or at least one piston seems to move further than the other - I might spend some time trying to remedy that, but if not I'll need to replace it too. My shifters however are perfectly fine and do not require replacing. Replacement BR-RS505 calipers don't seem to be available from any of the usual retail outlets any more (I guess things have moved on). I do see a few well rated sellers on eBay though, selling both BR-RS505 (105) as well as BR-RS805 (Ultegra) calipers - so I'm just wondering if I could use Ultegra calipers with 105 shifers - the Ultegra components seem to use the same BH59 brake hose (not the newer BH90 with narrower core). My feeling is the answer is 'Yes' - but just wondering if there are any potential pitfalls or issues I may be overlooking - given that brakes are such an important safety feature on the bike, I don't want to take any chances.

Comments

Advertisement