Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overnight oats

Options
  • 12-04-2022 2:04pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone here make overnight oats with a recipe they could recommend?

I made some yesterday with oats, oat milk, a small bit of brown sugar, chia seeds, pomegranate seeds and blueberries. I put the chia seeds in when I was preparing it and 🤮🤮. The whole thing had this thick, stodgy, slimy texture and it was not pleasant.

I tried again today with oats, oat milk, some peanut butter, a spoon of jam, with pomegranate seeds and chia seeds added at the eating stage. It was better, but a bit too sweet and the peanut butter went a bit grainy.

I am fussy about textures and I hate anything slimy, so I need to keep refining. I think I'd get on better with fruity flavours rather than anything overly sweet. Maybe I need to start adding yoghurt for flavour and texture? It's a handy option for work so I don't want to give up just yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Irish_wolf

Life's too short for porridge and its new marketing gimmick "overnight oats". Bland flavourless slimy nutrient paste that people espouse as healthy while also cramming 4 different types of fruits and a heap of their favourite syrup onto it just to make it appealing. I love a good texture in my food too and have been exactly where you are a few years ago looking for 'healthier' options. After trying most of them I can let you know that you wont find joy in porridge. Some people like it, and I get that some people just like the fullness you get and it's a much better alternative to a lot of other dessert style breakfasts like pancakes and French toast but damn is it a depressing meal, give me a light nutty crisp pastry or a couple of rice cakes topped with peanut butter and apple slices over that muck any day.

If you must continue down the oat path, ditch the overnight oats and start looking into making protein balls or something that actually has a bit of crunch and mouth feel, or you can make them gooey and chewy like cookie dough if that's the way you like it. You can pretty much tailor them exactly how you want and you can prepare them in batches so you can save time during the week. Oats, coconut, nuts, peanut butter*, fruits, seeds, honey, chocolate, and your favourite protein powder, mash it into little balls and store in fridge or freezer. Just try to avoid eating too much of the mix as you are making it.

*Some other nut butters can make the mix taste very dry, just something to be mindful of.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

If you must continue down the oat path, ditch the overnight oats and start looking into making protein balls or something that actually has a bit of crunch and mouth feel, or you can make them gooey and chewy like cookie dough if that's the way you like it. You can pretty much tailor them exactly how you want and you can prepare them in batches so you can save time during the week. Oats, coconut, nuts, peanut butter*, fruits, seeds, honey, chocolate, and your favourite protein powder, mash it into little balls and store in fridge or freezer. Just try to avoid eating too much of the mix as you are making it.

Tell me more about this...

I'm not committed at all to overnight oats, I'm just looking for something that doesn't need to be cooked and that is reasonably high in protein (have powder on the way) and fibre. Do you find it feels enough like a meal? I instinctively feel it might feel more snack-y as you'd eat them with your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

The only positive I have about porridge is that it keeps me full.

I don't put fruit it in, I think hot fruit is gross.

Half a teaspoon of sugar and using full fat cows milk makes it tolerable.

2.5 times the milk to the porridge and microwave in pyrex jug for 4mins 20 seconds or until it bubbles up.

It thickens as it cools but I don't like to too thick.

And HAS to be flahavans oats so no heartburn.

In saying all that.....

I've made the operation transformation brown bread from oats and yogurt and it's not bad at all.

-Maybe a different way to get oats into you.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Irish_wolf

Honest answer from my own personal experience, definitely on the snack end of the scale but by I think that's mostly psychological. You definitely will not get the same amount of 'fullness' from a couple of protein balls as you would from a similar amount of porridge, that said eat too many and you'll know all about it. It doesn't sit like a lump in your stomach like porridge does. But it really depends how many you eat and how big you make them. Also you can stick them on the end of a fork and use a knife to spread a smidge of a nutella like substance on top, makes a slight ritual which adds to the meal feel. The trick is to measure the ingredients and get a rough idea of how much calories/protein/fibre/fat etc. are in the ball then only bring the number of balls required for your meal or whatever you were previously using for the porridge. The ingredients are essentially the same as porridge bar the lack of the soaking material (although plenty of recipes suggest adding water as a binding agent, you could easily use oat milk to achieve this).

Look around on the internet, there are an endless amount of variations on the theme from salty and sweet salted caramel style, nutty and chocolatey with almond flour and chocolate chips, vanilla and dessicated coconut if you're sick of oats, you can also get fruity savoury kind with cinnamon and dates etc. etc.. Make a few smaller batches at first so you can find what you like.

Personally I don't like big breakfasts so they work perfect for me. Although as I mentioned apple slices and peanut butter are a very much underrated and simple breakfast snack that is my normal go to that requires little to no prep bar washing and slicing the apple although when I'm being real lazy I just put a bit of peanut butter on the apple before each bite. Lidl are also doing 1kg buckets of 100% peanut butter for like €4.80 at the moment so not a bad time to stock up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

My overnight oats are simple

Porridge, frozen fruit, yogurt, in a pot, in that order. The frozen fruit melts and sweetens and softens the porridge. Yogurt sets on top. Leave it out at room temp overnight

Tasty and handy for on the go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭whatchagonnado

Making it in a Microwave was your first mistake... Same measurements, in a pot on the stove for 6 mins.

Also, avoid the milk (negative benefit), and go with water and oat drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

I mix Oats, Milled Brown Flax Seed, vanilla protein powder and Unsweetened Almond milk, I like it, its not gourmet but its filling and not too heavy in the stomach , keeps me going to lunch. I eat it cold from the fridge. Can always chuck in some peanut butter too if you like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Also side question, if I may, whats the difference between "progress oatlets" and just standard porridge oats ? I've seen them on the shelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I do really simple ones. Oats, raspberries, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds & a little bit of oat milk on top. Add some more fresh raspberries the next day. It's all about the measurements though. Some people like a more wet mix, others slightly drier (I'm on that end of the scale). The first few times I made it, I made it quite wet & didn't really enjoy it so I changed the ratios a little & hit upon one that works well for me. Nice, healthy, quick & no fuss in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I used to make porridge from whole oats called groats. I would put one cup to five cups of water into slowcooker for few hours or over night (maybe with timer ). For sweetness I added unprocessed apricots or other dried fruit at start. I added bit of greek yogurt when ready to eat and maybe some molasses sugar. I gave up when found it hard to find the groats and the apricots. One batch would do for 5 or 6 days with a reheat of portion in microwave.

• Advertisement

Further research online would suggest I might need to go for a 1:1 ratio of oats to oat milk alright. I'm definitely putting a lot more oat milk in than that, so I'll try reducing the milk and I might try adding yoghurt for flavour.

@ellejay and @whatchagonnado thanks, but overnight oats are uncooked and served cold, not cooked into porridge :)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Mockba

If you use apple juice instead of oat milk/milk it is totally different...........

All of those things are present elsewhere in abundance, and don't come with the problems of dairy, which even your own source outlines.

https://www.bda.uk.com/resource/milk-allergy.html

Yeah, just stand over the pot and check the consistency, add oat/water if you need to. Throw a few seeds, apples, strawberries, bananas, whatever else you have on top, is grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

cup of jumbo oats,spoon of peanut butter powder,half spoon cacao powder,some blueberries or grapes...or any dried fruit,shake the container (closed) ,pour in coconut almond milk to same level as the oats,spoon in a lump of skyr (real skyr) yogurt,top with crunchy flaxseed mix... delicious. protein rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Well I love ONOs, but why bother if you don't like the texture? It's a bit like Marmite, some people love it, some hate it.

Maybe you could try the original version, Bircher Müsli?

https://www.thespruceeats.com/bircher-muesli-the-original-swiss-recipe-1446971

Here's a variation (the original recipe uses condensed milk, some people might not like that)

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/bircher-muesli-apple-banana

For what it's worth:

I use oats, chia seeds, golden linseed and milk and leave that in the fridge.

The next day I decide what fresh fruit/toppings I want and add shortly before eating:

• Mashed banana, cinnamon, natural (runny) peanut butter
    • Ripe pear, walnuts, cinnamon, cardamom, dried ginger
    • Blueberries, pecans, maple syrup (usually don't use sugar, but I want some with berries)

Well I love ONOs, but why bother if you don't like the texture? It's a bit like Marmite, some people love it, some hate it.

my first time ever trying them was yesterday so I’m trying to figure out if I actually don’t like the texture, or if I’m not making them well.

So you don’t think milk itself has negative benefits, thanks for clarifying that

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Porridge made with water instead of milk is an abomination IMO.

Doubt you'd even get it in prison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Find the ratio you like, when I make it I use milk and yoghurt. Don't mix in other ingredients which will affect the absorption and be unpredictable. Unless it's something like cinnamon.

Add desired toppings before eating.

As you have discovered Chia seeds turn jelly like when soaked in liquids, sprinkle on top before eating if you want the benefits.

I think you're having trouble comprehending. The intake of the nutrients you were describing are not worth the impact of the the problems. Now, we can argue about how you can measure the impact, but given everything your source mentions is available elsewhere and those do not come with the same risks as dairy (as per your source), I'm happy to say it's not worth it. You should ask the BDA what they think.

Such whataboutery. You quoted the milk allergy page, so yes we agree if you are allergic to milk then you shouldn't use it, but as the page you linked says its "very unusual in adults".

If you're not allergic to milk then it does not have "negative benefits" as you put it

If you're allergic to nuts don't put them in your OON either. Likewise heroin, if you're allergic to heroin its probably not a great idea to put it in your food.

I make my porridge with water & much prefer it. Partially because I'm lactose intolerant but also even making it with alternative milks I don't find it that nice. Much prefer it made with water. To each their own.

Negative benefits is a contradiction in terms so nothing has a negative benefit at all. Any way, the only negatives for milk that I can see is if you're lactose intolerant like me & it causes a lot of stomach problems. Otherwise it is a great quick source of a lot of nutrients.

I'm reporting back because I've had a successful experience.

Oat:oat milk at a ratio of 1:2

100g hazelnut yoghurt

Drizzle of maple syrup

Then when serving I added pomegranate seeds, raspberries, chia seeds and some chopped hazelnuts. Good texture and flavour! Ended up being quite an enjoyable meal.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ah yea sorry witchgirl I was being dramatic, I know lots of people do take their porridge with water for whatever reason.

Still, I think it's an abomination. 😄

Ah here I was only joking too lol. I know lots of people who feel the same to be fair. And my mam always made it with milk - could explain why I hated it until I was older & started making it with water as I didn't know then about the intolerance!

I think the real abomination is the vats of porridge you see in hotel buffet breakfasts - not sure what they're made with but it don't look good!

Brilliant! It defo takes a bit of playing around to get the right ratio & combo for each person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

I make porridge with water and milk in a 2:1 ratio, and find that, so long as you top up with milk just before serving, you can't really tell the difference.

Not exactly on-topic, but I found switching to salty porridge a game-changer - sometimes I put toasted seeds on top, but just porridge made from jumbo oats with a little bit of salt is really tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I have two overnight oats recipes I use:-

A banana and milk based one which uses cinnamon and some maple syrup. I omit the flaked almonds but I serve with a bit of yoghurt as suggested. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/banana-overnight-oats

I also use a more flexible 'made up' recipe which is more like a bircher approach. I soak oats in a mixture of milk and apple juice. The apple juice adds a bit of acidity.

Jumbo oats are essential for any of these and I find that it's a personal taste how much liquid to add in the soak.

Not sure this is ever the best choice for a "non slimy" breakfast, but certainly the advantage is you can prep the night before. I personally eat my overnight oats cold, always had them that way.

If you want a protein source at breakfast, personally view but I would rather have the overnight oats for carbs and fat, and get the protein by chugging a protein shake seperately.

Advertisement