Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garden Room / Home office

Options
  • 11-04-2022 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am looking into getting a home garden room for an office. One thing I am worried about is the heating cost. They all come with 2KW or 3KW heaters but if you need that on all day, it's going to cost a lot. So trying to find out more about insulation options. Some do 100ml rockwool, others sip panels. But I guess you only really know when you have the thing. Has anyone any advice on a garden room you may have got recenly and how the insulation and subsequent heating went, thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Cellulose insulation is a good option for heat retention. Good glazing is also a must. Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I have a DIY garden room with 80mm (wall) and 100mm (roof) external woodfibre insulation, with DIY triple glazed window and French doors and reasonable amounts of permanently open ventilation (gaps around the doors!).

It is used daily as my office and at weekends for hanging out.

In the last 30 days it has averaged 5kWh/day electricity consumption on the 2kW resistive heater.

In practice this means around an hour at full blast and then trickling for the rest of the day.

If I wanted more economy I would add internal insulation, close up the gaps and use a single room heat pump/HRV instead of a resistive heater.

Glazing will make a big difference. If you have a window that gets direct sun (I don't) then the room will stay warm during the day without heating, just needing a boost in the morning. Obvs that may cause overheating in summer so consider shading. The risk of overheating from a poorly insulated roof is greater.

So in your position I would max out the insulation spec as that's awkward to increase later, fit closeable ventilation, and think about solar gain and shading.

Remember that a small building has a massive surface area. Mine has maybe 25% the surface area of the house even though it's only 7% the floor area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

North County Dublin.

One company was wall: 70mm log wall, 100 mm rock wool. Ceiling: 100 mm rock wool, Floor 40mm Kingsoan

Is there a company you'd recommend that does garden rooms and is really good at insulating them?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭grennscreener

@Tim Robbins hey I'm looking at doing the same as your self. Did you ever get a lead on a decent company doing these?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭grennscreener

fudge.

I figure worst comes to worst, go for which ever one seems like the best and buy a bunch of kingspan insualtion boards to glue on the inside. Or at least that's my current fail safe plan.

Advertisement