Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary school choices in Dublin South

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭sekond

Yes. And doesn't include any assessment of whether college was the right place for all of the pupils. I think its something like 80% of school leavers are now going on to higher education. Some schools with a lower progression to HE rate might actually be taking the time to consider what is best for the student and not just funnelling them to HE, but actually pointing them to apprenticeships (the new ones are a world away from the old craft apprenticeships), further education, or higher education overseas, which isn't captured in the data.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You also need to factor in what selection process, if any, was used on intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭maisie45

Ridiculous advice, what if the local school is awful.

I would visit a lot of schools at closing time, see how the students behave,one clue is how overweight the students are, if parents cant be bothered to feed their children properly or enrol them in sports facilities then they wont be people you will relate to.

If i cant relate to these parents then i wont expect my children to relate to their off spring.

Its really really important to pick the right school, I paid for private education for my children and their friends are the hardest working most driven people i have ever met,all have done very well for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,714 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The original post was relevant to the summer of 2022, I doubt the thread has any further purpose.

True, you would need to know if a particular school was very welcoming to special needs children, this would mean you would have a very large number needing extra help while the nearby schools would have no special needs students at all.

These schools without children needing extra help would of course have better results.

Some parents will pay school fees for the academic children and send the not so bright ones to the local school who are welcoming to special needs students.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Absolute garbage. And a sh1t attitude to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Nonsense, is anything you pay extra for the not so gifted chld some get better support that suits his needs. Also Private schools are not renowned for academics.

Do you actually know many leaving cert students, there is huge money being paid to teachers offering grinds to students wanting high points.

The private schools do get good results, why wouldnt they, they are getting bright children who want to do well, children whose parents are willing to pick them up late after after school study, willing to drop and pick them up from grinds, willing to pay for the Gaeltacht, willing to pay for two weeks in Spain or France or Germany or wherever.

Willing to do whatever it takes to get their child into whatever third level course they want.

sending a child to a private school and grinds are 2 different things.

I know my brother went to a public school and I went to a private school, we would be more academic than me.

the school I went to was very much sport focused. The results weren’t €36,000 better than kids who went to public schools. Sure the ambition, expectations and privilege was higher.

my daughter goes to a public school which outperforms private schools ever year with results.

Many of the children who go to private school get grinds too, they know exactly what they want and they have huge parental support.

That is one of the benefits of paying, you value what you pay for and hope your children will too.

Its not just the academics, its the sports facilities, the library, the computers, the arts, the music, everything available at school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It's funny how you pretend to be so concerned about obesity and academic results, while you consider making active choices that will reduce obesity and improve academic results as 'ridiculous'.

But hey, don't let your personal biases hold you back there from making really bad decisions.

The main purpose for Maisie resurrecting the thread is so that Maisie can have a go at me. I'm cracking up here laughing at how much time she must have spent scrolling through my back catalogue to find something to argue with.

How are the private schools getting bright children. Are they refusing to take less bright children?

Yes, they will say we dont have the facilities, the community school down the road would be a better fit.

Patents who value education are not going to put walking or cycling to school as a top priority.

All things being equal they will choose the local school but if its a bad school they will go elsewhere.

People who value not have obese children, as you seemed to do, will put walking and cycling as a priority.

No one mentioned top priority except you. That's your own little strawman.

Paying for an exclusive school is IMO a waste of time, in most instances. A child's educational outcome is mostly influenced by their parents attitudes and input and the child's innate abilities. Both of my children qualified for CTYI. They attended local primary and secondary schools which were great. The local rural/commuter secondary school even let my daughter drop that useless civics subject I forget the name of and teach herself Japanese instead, as it wasn't an available subject. My son did exactly as well as he wanted to to get into the tertiary course he wanted while my daughter was more industrious and just did very well across the board. They would not have done any better had they gone to private schools.

Both have finished their tertiary degree courses, my daughter doing a clean sweep of honours, top student and best final project. I think that old adage of not being able to make a silk purse out of a sows ear applies equally to schools and children.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Private schools afford better career options overall, not just because of the education, but also because of the social circles the kids will mix in and the connections forged.

Being surrounded by a lot of high achievers can only help to develop a childs education and once the kids reach early adulthood, the relationships formed at private school can really help someone get their foot in the door Career wise.

"Yes, we can get little Johnny a placement at the US multinational in the docklands, he is ex (insert colleged name) and good friends with my Tristan"

I know it shouldnt be like that and we shouldnt have jobs for the boys, but thats how the real world works.

Thats not to say public educated kids cant do well, of course they can.

But the privately educated are certainly starting the race of life a good bit closer to the finish line than everyone else.

Private schools aren’t for grades. It’s for networking and expectations.

private school pupils expectations / privileges are that they will be Senior management, solicitors , accountants etc

• Advertisement

They would have primary school reports and they do assessments tests on incoming first tears.

If your child is very slow and also non sporty you arent going to pay thousands for their education, all you are doing is paying for the benefit of someone elses child.

If you are very wealthy you might but most parents who pay for their childs education are particularly wealthy, they want the best school and thats usually the one you have to pay for.

What schools have brightness on their admission criteria?

The ones I know would only get information about primary school reports and do assessments AFTER the decision to give a place has been made and the parents have paid a decent deposit.

Lots of parents pay for private education with the objective of getting the best results for a non academic child.

You've read the Ross O'Carroll Kelly books, right?

I have heard of schools withdrawing the school place if the assessment results are very bad, private schools sell places based on academic results, no point in putting a non academic child into s pressurised school environment, waste of money and time.

I dont think you are a parent, you wont understand the lengths people will go to further their childs interests.

What schools have withdrawn places following assessment results?

Maybe try opening your narrow mind a little when dealing with people who have different experiences and different opinions to you.

Lots of parents choose schools because of location or family traditions,nothing to do with academic ability.

Obviously my brother and I went to the wrong private school - nada - just applied for jobs the normal way. I feel cheated.

Post edited by cnocbui on

As I said you arent a parent nor involved in the education system.

You simlply havent a clue of the politics of it all.

No desire to engage with you further.

I dont have to open my mind at all, I opened my chrquebook and paid for everything the family needed.

I might have been able to buy a nice expensive bike for myself if i didnt spend so much on them.😀😀😀😳

You couldn't be more wrong on both counts in your opening statements, as my other posts here will confirm - but it's interesting that your only response is a personal attack rather than any rational debate or discussion.

This might be a surprise to you, but many parents see value and merit in their children beyond their academic ability and leaving cert points result. Many parents want to get best education for their children in music, or arts, or sports, or indeed to get the best academic results possible for their less bright children, who (surprisingly enough) are also worthy of getting the best education.

You simply haven't got a clue of how school enrolments work, with published criteria, and parents ready to take legal action if the school messes ups. Maybe if you had gotten better education you could have paid for private education AND gotten a nice bike too. Shame you didn't get the chance to remove some of those chips on your shoulder too.

Still not as funny as the anti obesity person who doesn't want his kids walking or cycling to school.

• Advertisement

Don’t feed the trolls, you can add block/ignore him so his drivel doesn’t show

Advertisement