Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will I get Govt Energy Rebate moved

Options
  • 11-04-2022 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I received my govt energy rebate with Bord Gais. I had owed €81.60 on my bill. This leaves me with a credit balance of €118.40.

But my problem now is, I have moved energy providers and I don't know how this credit can be applied to my new provider?

Would anybody have an idea how this works? I'm sure I'm not the only person that has been caught like this?

Tagged:

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 28,821 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Have you asked your energy provider(s)?

If you have a credit balance when you close an account, it's usually refunded to you.

In this case, that might not be possible, but there should be a mechanism to transfer to the new provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Mandy12

I moved providers early March. I have just received my final bill from Bord Gais which shows the govt rebate. I have emailed Bord Gais, but it does state on their website that it will take 5 working days for a reply due to a high volume of emails about the rebate. I was hoping someone may have an idea how this will work.

Many thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I doubt if Bord Gais will transfer the money to your new supplier. Send them an e-mail with your old account number and your IBAN and ask them to transfer the money to your bank account.

This situation also arises if someone has a flat payment scheme and they are in credit when they close the account so asking them to transfer a credit balance back to you is nothing new and they will do it. But, as their website says, they are currently flooded with queries around the €200 credit so there will be a delay in getting your money.

Thanks very much I will try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Even if BGE were prepared to transfer the money to your current supplier, I think you'd be asking for trouble by requesting them to do this. Because if there was a clerical error in the process, your money would disappear into a black hole and you'd get no satisfaction from either company - they would each blame the other and you'd be caught in the crossfire.

• Advertisement

Certainly food for thought. Thanks.

Advertisement