Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anker Power Bank Delivery

Options
  • 11-04-2022 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭

I know this isn't strictly bike related, but I'm sure at least some of you use power banks.

I wanted to buy an Anker power bank, because they seem to be a good price, and the brand seems to be well regarded.

However, neither Amazon co.uk nor .de will ship to Ireland, and the Anker store on AliExpress doesn't seem to have any in stock.

So two questions/requests, really. First, if anyone knows a way to buy an Anker power bank here in Ireland, that info would be appreciated. Secondly, if anyone can recommend another brand of power bank that I can buy here, that would also be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

I have heard good reports on the Xiaomi but have no direct experience of their power banks. Have a Xiaomi phone alright which is great so I'd be confident their other products would be good OK. https://www.xiaomi.ie/chargers-power-banks/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭cletus

Thanks for that. I have a Xiaomi phone myself, so I think I'll pop for their power bank

What use have you for one Cletus? At Christmas I had one from dealz or somewhere similar running led strips on my wife's bike not nearly as fancy as the Anker ones with their capacity and multiple connections.

It's for a couple of overnight bikepacking/kayak camping trips I have planned, just to be able to charge the phone/GPS unit/fitness watch

Ah OK shape/size isn't an issue you need to consider then as in if you wanted to use it on the bike and stash it under the saddle maybe.

• Advertisement

No, it'll go into the bottom of a bag until the tent is set up 😀.

Thanks, though

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kop Idol

Sorry to hijack the thread but I've been searching for a power bank to attach to my road bike as a backup for my Garmin 820 on a 4 day event I'm training for at the moment. I had hoped to be able to strap something to the underside of my stem but have quickly realised that power bank tech is not that miniaturised as yet (or at least anything in the 3000mAh+ range isn't).

I am now looking at a top tube bag that could hold the power bank (along with some gels) but it would need to be something suitably small, light and aero (if possible). Anyone that can recommend a setup along those lines ?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

Thanks kagni, interesting. It's a little more expensive and on the larger side than what I am looking for but it certainly looks robust. I don't think it exists yet (?) but something about 1/2 that size, 1/2 that power and 1/2 that price would be perfect 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Are you looking for the power bank to last the four days, or can you recharge it each night? That will make a big difference to the required battery size.

There is any number of above top tube and under top tube (and handlebar) bags that will hold a suitable power bank. I've a cheapo 4500 mAh power bank about the size of a old-school Mars bar that will top-up a Wahoo to keep it running for 16 hours/day plus have sufficient charge for the phone too. I suspect I'd get two days from it but usually just top it up each evening. Even one of the small top-tube "bento box" bags will hold a generic 10,000 mAh battery

• Advertisement

Yup, should've mentioned I will be able charge the power bank each night. Hence, I figured about 3000mAh should easily cover it. Might also need to give my phone the odd boost. I've ordered a top tube bag anyway and will see when it arrives what kind of space is left over after putting some food/gels in. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

I wanted anker too but went for Otterbox. I used it in Cliff of Moher Challenge and it was grand. I got the Mobile charging kit @ 5000mah. Nice and light and comes with the main connectors. This actually have inline charging so i can charge a device while the battery is charging. Probably not the idea but it works.

Delivery was a few days. I picked up 10000mah for my hiking rucksack

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I got an Anker battery bank from Amazon UK using AnPost's AddressPal. They ship via boat to Northern Ireland so batteries are allowed. I've had mine for 5 years now, only use it for holidays and still holds up.

I've had Amazon ship stuff with batteries in the past, can't remember what it was but they had the UN Haz label on them. Also they'll ship phones no problem. No reason battery banks can't be shipped they just don't want to for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Ive got 2 ravpower power banks-they are brilliant, Ive had one of them for 12 months , one for 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭JMcL

There're all sort of regulations around Lithium batteries and air freight to do with capacity and being below a certain charge capacity. Most of the attractive battery packs are in the 10000-20000mAh range whereas current phones would typically max out at 5000mAh or so. I'd agree, it does seem a bit arbitrary though.

As somebody suggested, AddressPal should work - a colleague has used it for battery packs in the past. BUT - and it really is a big but - you'll get hit for VAT (actually double VAT as Amazon will charge UK VAT since they're shipping to a UK address), maybe duty, and a "handling fee" for your convenience, which will probably double the price of the battery pack. There's no lower threshold anymore - everything will have VAT applied

Advertisement