Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for restaurant for family meal D15

Options
  • 08-04-2022 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭

For family (parents up from the country so they paying, I'm trying to avoid a coronary event when my father sees the bill 🤣)

What I'm thinking so far: feel free to convince me to go for the below either!

Castleknock Hotel (looks nice but price wise even their bar menu would make Elon Musk blush).

Anglers Rest... Maybe, but I've been before a few times, food was very good but they take an age to serve.

Hole in the Wall - Might go for this , but I've always found it a bit of a squash and can be noisy (father won't hear a thing).

I'd like to avoid the carvery gaffes like carpenters or halfway house (which I'm not knocking on an ordinary day).

Don't really want to travel past Lucan/clonsilla/Navan Road.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

What day of the week are you thinking off and is it lunch or evening meal.

I've avoid Castleknock Hotel, been a few times (admittedly a few years ago) and was never that impressed. Neighbours have been more recently and said quality and service has gone down hill since. Castleknock Golf club house (think it's called Vue) a better option but have only been there for Sunday lunch.

Anglers Rest is very nice, great food and setting but on the expensive side.

Depending on the day/time see if Luttrellstown Golf Club restaurant is open. It's called La Mora and used to do a fantastic Sun lunch that used to be quite reasonable until significant price increases a couple of years ago under new management.

Rudy's in Blanch village is very good but very expensive and pretty select menu of mainly steak. Same owners run Maximilians across the road near SuperValue which has a more varied menu and more reasonably priced. Can be noisey enough however and they used to have live music in the evenings.

Thai Garden restaurant in Blanch village is good also although personally I think it's over rated.

I'd recommend Taste of India in Clonsilla village. Was always a bit apprehensive of Indian food due to poor quality meat disguised/covered by nice sauces but I've been a good few times and even the lamb dishes have always been very lean. Excellent food and quite reasonable plus if not a fan of spicey food they do ask if you'd like your dish choice in mild, medium or hot.

There is quite a big D15 restaurant recommendation thread here if you can find it with the crap search function under the new site interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Treppen

Thanks, it's for Sunday Dinner. Hadn't considered Luttrelstown. I might take a look at that. I have a feeling all the places have gotten a lot more expensive since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

I,m sure your parents would be delighted if you paid (if you can) , it would be more relaxing for them,ps 12th lock also too expensive.

Luttrelstown golf club lunch looked good, but alas all booked out.

Thanks for replies. For a finish I did a random search on Google maps.

Lock Tavern in Ashton was fairly good .

Table of 6 including main course,3 drinks no starters, 3 desserts 2 coffees came to €120 .

Guy playing moody jazz hits on amplified guitar and there was a fair bit of noise (with sport on telly), so a fair bit of shouting across the table going on.

There was a heated outdoor enclosed area so maybe we should have went out there.

Staff were good too.

Would recommend if you don't mind noise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

Anywhere to park?

Kinda tricky alright , either on street if you're lucky, or round the block here

53.3763738, -6.3312434

I think it was free, some mention of clampers which everyone ignored but I'd say you'll be grand on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

I went to the Hole in the Wall last Sunday as the queue for the Turnstyle was out the door - Hole was empty and the reason is that it has gone down massively recently. Menu is limited and food was poor, except the wings. The place was not well kept and they have dirty Christmas decorations still around some areas.

Anglers Rest food is good but like all places struggling with staff.

I am a big fan of the Thai Garden and it has been great for the last 20 years - of course not everyone likes that food.

Golf Club beside castleknock golf club is a good spot.

I had coffee in the hotel in Tyrrelstown recently and the menus looked great, hotel is really nice and staff were lovely. I didn't try the food but it used to be pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 maryjanemax

We've recently been to both Brownes (Blanch Village) and Castello Bruno (Castleknock) for group dinners and they were great - kids menus, not too expensive if you limit the steaks 😉 and they have the space for a group if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,536 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think everywheres expensive theses days. I thought the Anglers was good when I've been there recently.

• Advertisement

Dunno, I thought The Lock Keeper I visited mentioned above was pretty good value compared to anything in D15 . Maybe because it was in Ashtown!

I'll have to try it. Good tip. Be handy of out cycling. There was another on the corner that was decent when I was in there a few years but wasn't enough normal nosh for our crowd.

I'm sure there are other options a little bit further out from D15, but still within a short drive. Haven't been there in a while but https://newbarnfarm.ie/restaurant/ used to be decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭victor8600

Another vote for Thai Garden :)

I find https://www.the12thlock.com to be good too, though some reviews on Google disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

It seems that Covid took all the early bird menus so prices everywhere are a bit mad. Staff shortages having an impact too.

In the last few months I've been in Rudy's for brunch (mediocre), 12th lock for dinner (I was unwell after, not the first time after eating there - I prefer to avoid it) and Browne's (service atrocious but friendly, food average). It really is easier to get quality food in town than D15

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭raheny red

Maximillians.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭raheny red

I think it's the best restaurant in D15 and ideal with what you're looking for. But with what is said above, there's not much challenging it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Maximillian's is 100% the best restaurant in D15

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Murt10

Located over the Roselawn pub. Indian and Nepalese. Excellent.

Check them out on TripAdvisor as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Murt10

No. I try and vary all the time. Everything I've had there has been top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Yeah. .what is the story with the year round Christmas decorations in Hole In The Wall? It was nice during the take away only service during lockdowns as it was a bit of novel cheer during all the doom and gloom but I think continuing to leave them up at this stage is a bit tacky and off putting if going for a sit down meal on a bright summertime evening.

Think it's just a bit of fun.

Don't envy who puts that up and down each year.

Advertisement