Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books for learning irish.

Options
  • 08-04-2022 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry for starting this I Berla, but I've recently found a new appreciation for irish. Probably because I'm living in the North now. Strangely it's taken me years to cop on my children aren't learning Irish

. I do hope to take a course in the summer run by the local council, but reading emails I realise I've forgotten most of what I learnt in school. Primary to leaving cert. Can anyone recommend some school books I can get ,to refresh myself ? Leaving cert level I think and an Irish- English dictionary

Buíochas ( I think! )

Post edited by Insect Overlord on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Piollaire

I'd say it would be hard going through school books aimed at kids. You'd be better off with something aimed at adult learners such as this (though I haven't read it myself):

https://www.siopaleabhar.com/tairge/complete-irish/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I would be aiming at leaving cert books. It's all there, but just need refreshing.

I was comfortable at Irish , and French except for understanding orals in both..

For the listening side of things I would stick TG4/RnaG on until it starts making sense - worked for me. I did French at school too and never became fluent. But I've been hitting the French podcasts hard over the last six months and they are starting to make sense at last. Though I put on a Canadian one this morning and felt like I was starting over.

Can't help you with leaving cert books I'm afraid - haven't looked at them since my own Leaving. Would recommend reading tuairisc.ie or the seachtain supplement in the Indo. Focloir.ie is a good online dictionary and teanglann.ie will help with more obscure stuff. A grammar book will help for the likes of the genitive that were never explained at school.

Go n-éirí leat!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

True, TG4 is a good idea. As for books , it shows how boards-ie-fied I've become. I'll just go to my old secondary school and ask the principal/ teacher. Doh !!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement