Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping homemade bread fresh

Options
  • 07-04-2022 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

Just wondering is there anything I can add to my bread to keep it from going stale after a day?? Love bread making and they generally don't get eaten quickly, want to avoid freezing too. Suppose I could just make smaller loaves......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Love to know this also...

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭inajock

If it's a brown soda I add two soup spoons of vegetable oil with the buttermilk and clingfilm when its cold

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭rje66

Not soda bread, mostly yeast breads with addes flavours . Foccaccia etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Make your mix wetter if you can. I changed my soda bread recipe to add a good bit more buttermilk and it lasts a few days now where previously it was pretty stale on day 2

Well you've got me there. We're a soda house, I must give the yeast bread a spin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Whiskey not wine

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Homemade bread will never keep for long as it hasn't the chemicals added that are in commercially produced breads. Proper storage is the only way to get a few days from it. Moisture must be conserved to avoid going stale.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,867 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Can I ask why you do not want to freeze it? Is a godsend to me sliced up into daily amounts. When defrosted you do have to scoff it quickly or it just goes meh and can lose its crusty delight.... but that is happening when fresh after a short time anyway.

I saw on Youtube or somewhere that if you sprinkly stale (ish) bread with water and put in the oven for a few minutes it comes back to life. Haven't tried it myself though, just grab a few slices from the ahem.... freezer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

A few things I find help the bread keep:

• Freezing it (though usually it just gets turned into toast, but you can pull a slice frozen and toast away)
    • Adding milk/yoghurt the mix (softer on day one, and still soft day two, day three is back to toast-worthy)
    • Adding a tangzhong (part of the dough gets cooked and beaten in, it's kinda fiddlier that just lashing in some yoghurt, but it's great in things you don't make often like bagels)

I make ~550g flour loaves in a 10cmx10cmx30cm tin. Somedays we (two of us) hoover it up in 36 hours, other times it ends up hanging around long enough to turn into breadcrumbs (which also live in the freezer)

• Advertisement
Advertisement