If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact

Rent a Room Scheme Experiences



  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

    This is a point to consider as well, its a bit of a grey area, revenue say "The room or rooms can comprise a self-contained unit within the residence such as a basement flat or a converted garage attached to the residence". and "Landlords are generally required to register details of their residential tenancies with the Residential Tenancies Board14 (previously the Private Residential Tenancies Board), including, for example, where the tenancy relates to a self-contained residential unit in the landlord’s own residence. However, the requirement to register a tenancy does not apply where the landlord and tenant are sharing the same self-contained unit.

    but then if you look at the RTB site it states that their remit does not extend to the Rent a Room scheme (where the landlord and the tenant share the same self contained property).

  • Registered Users Posts: 19,188 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

    I don't know this for certain, but I am assuming that it is possible that Revenue might consider your "visitor" to be a licencee for the purpose of income tax ............. while a court or the PRTB might consider them a tenant - thus accruing tenants rights.

  • Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭C3PO

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭meijin

    it certainly will!


    "While renting out a room that is part of your home is not covered by landlord and tenant law, renting out a self-contained unit is covered"

  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

    Just curious, I wonder would an area with separate living space, bathroom, kitchenette be covered under tenant law if there was a permantly locked door between it and the main house space.

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

    There will be a linking door and they wont have total exclusivity to the space, therefore should be a licencee

  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

    Not offering one room, would be potentially offering the following in separate rooms

    1 x Bedroom

    1 x Shower room & WC

    1 x Kitchen

    1 x Living/dining room

  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Jaysus_1984

    If this space has an independent entry that doesn't go through the house, your lessee might start accruing part IV tenancy rights. You're probably better off sharing the kitchen or something and working out a timeshare to ensure the arrangement cannot be treated as a de-facto independent living unit.

    Its quite easy to ensure your kid's safety - ensure the person has a good stable job, is not prone to late nights/parties and doesn't intend inviting overnight guests over. Well settled single people (man or woman) over the age of 35 are typically quite safe to have around kids. Younger people are slightly more rambunctious, understandably so, so just screen who comes in.

    Garda vetting is not a reasonable ask - its hard to make a case for that, even if you have a kid. Just get job and previous landlord references, including LinkedIn profiles and do your own due diligence.

  • Registered Users Posts: 2 dk123

    if i take in a licensee or two in my private residence and i pay for the electricity and oil [heating]myself out of my own account will this expenses payment by myself be considered separate from the 14000 euros p. a. tax free ?

  • Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

    It’s not considered separate; daft but any money you receive from the tenants is included in the 14k

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

    Just make sure that you interview and vet anyone whom you rent a room to. Many years ago, I was playing in a band with a lad who rented out a room to a guy without doing any diligent background checks. To say that there were problems would be gruesomely unstated. Some of the stuff that I personally saw was comedy gold, but I can't relate any of it here; it's too spicy. What I can say is that when my friend did eventually have to kick the guy out, there was a lot of trouble.

    Your home is your sanctuary. Be wary of whom you let in!

  • Registered Users Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

    The revenue do not care whether the person is a licensee or a tenant. All they care is that the taxpayer and the other occupant are under the same roof, even if there are 2 dewllings under the roof.

    The RTB will consider the occupant of a self contained dwelling as a tenant.

  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

    It depends. If you take in €500 per month from each of them - so €12000 in a year, and from that money pay all the bills then it's fine. If you get €2,100 in bills money on top of the €12,000 (even if it comes out of your account after they put it in) then you have to pay tax on the whole €14,100.

    I'm doing RaR at the moment. They money is great but I'm finding it very tough to share my space. Don't think I'll do it again after next summer.

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

    One of my neighbours is doing RaR with a student since September. They rent an en-suite bedroom (first floor) plus use of a living area with mini kitchen which is in the converted garage. It is not actually self contained as the family and student use the same front entrance and the same staircase to the bedrooms but my neighbour said she rarely sees her student who doesn't use any of the family areas as the door into the converted garage is in the hall just inside the front door. Could the rtb deem that set-up a tenancy?

    Post edited by mrslancaster on

  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭JohnRock

    Just be careful if you're renting out a self contained unit in your home, it may no longer fall under a license agreement but a tenancy agreement. If so, you will also be required to register with the RTB.

    There's more information here:

  • Registered Users Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

    If you create a self contained unit, the tenant gets RTB rights with one small enough exception.

    You may still qualify under the rent a room scheme for tax relief. if the unit and your residence are within the envelope of the same house.

    Converting part of your home also devalues your property and also affects you insurance and mortgage as well as requiring planning permission.

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

    planning permission is dependent on what exactly is being done though, may technically not be required if it is very minor

  • Registered Users Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

    Subdividing a planning unit always needs planning. Creating two dwellings where there is one is a sub-division. I know someone being summoned to court for doing just that.

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

    hence why i said it depends on what exactly is being done

  • Registered Users Posts: 10,173 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

    Is a self contained unit one with a shared entrance and a shared kitchen?

    I presume this setup would still fall under RAR?

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭SharkMX

    I have friends who just moved out of what amounts to an apartment made out of 2 rooms and an ensuite at one end of a house. Other friends moved into it then, but before they di they checked out if they were tenants or licensees.

    One room with en0siute is the living room of the apartment and the other is the bedroom. There is an en suite in there too.

    They have a hob, microwave and a fridge, tv in one corner of the "living room" (that room is the size of two double bedrooms). All their bills including rent, electricity, hot water, heating, broadband are included in their rent.

    They go around the side of the house into patio doors into their living room. And there is a door between theirs and the main house.

    They were told that they could use the main house but they should never need to because they have everything they need. That was basically telling them, without saying it, that they could use the rest of the house, but that if they do they will be out of there the next week.

    Also they have a key to the door of the utility room and can use the door of the utility room when they want to do washing.

    So they have their own self contained 1 bed apartment with everything they need. They "choose" not to enter the rest of the house. They are happy with this arrangement.

  • Registered Users Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

    Shared kitchen means the landlord and tenant are living in the same dwelling.

  • Registered Users Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

    I am specifically dealing with making 2 dwellings out one 1,

  • Registered Users Posts: 10,173 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

    So what if there was a kitchenette in the converted garage, but there is still the same shared entrance into the house.

    Liscencee still has access to main kitchen but en suite bathroom with shower in converted garage.

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

    SF want all licensees, people in digs and room renters, to have tenant rights and come under the rtb. Can't see many owner occupiers being ok with giving a lodger a right to an unlimited occupancy in their private residence after 6 months. Imo that would scare off a lot of people who currently do RaR and the number of rooms to let in owner occupied homes would vanish. Good way to make the situation for renting rooms or student digs worse though 😏

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

    Perhaps just set reasonable expectations about visitors when renting the room out. It does seem onerous but its a bit unique if you have children in the house a couple of days a week.

    To be fair, when we were small my grandmother had a lodger - in fact they had lodgers for years, as far back as when my mother was a baby. I ended up renting an apartment for 11 years from the widow of that first lodger of theirs. I don't think they had major issues but obviously 1950s and 1970s were different times.

    You just need to really talk to whoever is coming to look at the room to get a good idea of what their lifestyle is like, and ensure its someone whose lifestyle isn't going to wildly conflict with yours.

  • Registered Users Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

    If the licensee has exclusive use of one kitchen and the landlord another then the RTB will likely decide the occupant is a tenant.

  • Registered Users Posts: 10,173 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

    So what if the owner occupier of the house can use the kitchen and kitchenette plus the licencee can use both also.

    What’s the craic there?

  • Registered Users Posts: 19,188 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

    If it came to it, what is ultimately looked at is the reality of the situation rather than what is written on any "lease" or "licensee: agreement.

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,173 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

    Meaning what exactly?

    Who would be looking at it?