Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegal to work at a new job without signing a contract?

Options
  • 07-04-2022 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I work in a factory/warehouse on the north-side of Cork City. Another couple of guys recently started there, they did their induction and the person who normally did the contracts for new employees to sign was out that day. That was a few weeks ago. They both still have not received contracts to sign.

Surely this is illegal? Where would they or the company stand in the event of an accident with insurance and such?

I recall having my contract expire (on a Friday) a while back and I went in on the Monday and still had not gotten a new contract. I got one near the end of the day on the Monday -- seems like a really shoddy carry on.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭2 fast

Legally you have to get your contract within 2 months but a lot of companies run over especially if its being renewed I.e. fixed term

5days to give you a written statemstating certain core information ent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Employees are entitled to get a statement of 5 core terms within 5 days and written details of the employment agreement/contract within 2 months once they are in the job more than a month. The company must sign it but there's no obligation on the employee to sign - they just need to get a signed copy. It's an offence for the company/directors/manager not to comply.

Edit: 5 Core terms

Names of Employee and Employer

Employers address

Expected length of contract & if its tempoary or fixed term

Normal daily & weekly working hours

Rate of pay and whether it is weekly/fortnightly/monthly

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Worztron

In the end, he got a contract about 6 weeks after starting the job.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Advertisement