Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving Test KW Output Proof on UK Imported Bike

Options
  • 07-04-2022 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Have driving test coming up next week and I have a 2004 Honda VFR 800 which was imported into Ireland in 2005. I've received pre notice and it clearly states that I need proof of KW output either on licensing cert, Official Dealer or Importer. On My Cert it has the default 555555 and I've been on to Honda Ireland who say they will not issue this and that they have already agreed with HEad Training Tester this and that it shoudlnt be a problem as Bike is on the approved list. However, my instructor has said that hes has seen recently test not going ahead as no official proof. I also contacted Honda UK (useless) and also two UK Honda dealers without any success.

My instructors bike is already out on IBT on day of test, so not an option, and personally would prefer to do it on my own bike.

Anyone any recent experience of this and how did you overcome it...I will have printed RSA approved list and a technical website article (albeit it from Australia/NZ!) with KW on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

have you contacted the shannon office and requested the log book to be updated?

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/buying_or_selling_a_vehicle/change_of_ownership.html#l5a6a4

I think thats the only way to do it.

You probally won't have the log book in time, so ask for an email to be sent out to you to confirm that a new log book has been issued and the correct KW of the bike, make sure they CC in the appropiate testing centre too.

I'd also print out the RSA list of approved bikes, and physically high light your bike on it.

When I did my test the centre told me they go off the log book as people can have their vehicles restricted for insurance / license reasons. So they can't go off the RSA website as they need to know the bike hasn't been officially restricted (officially meaning written on the logbook).

you can of course restrict and unrestrict (being more common) older bikes pretty easily unoffically

• Registered Users Posts: 21 markm5ireland

Issue with this is still Shannon will need proof to make the change as don't believe KW were on V5 back in 2004

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭robbie_63

Have a look here, Honda UK have a page where you can request the cert if you have the VIN Number?

Certificate of Conformity | Explanation & Applying | Honda UK

Also check City Spares, I've heard before that they used to issue a cert if you bring a bike into them

Robbie_63 - you are brilliant...I've literally wasted so many hours this week. Two dealers wouldn't issue, RSA insist, Honda Ireland and Honda UK didn't help (spoke to two separate people and no reference to your link). KEy now is to try and get it before Thursday..

Also Hopefully they haven't issued one before as its 175 for Honda UK. May try CIty but I'd have to drive to Dublin from Louth

No hassle at least give city spares a call and see what they say worst case you get to take the bike for a spin to Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Would a dyno run prove the power output?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Such a palaver and all completely pointless anyway. A piece of paper saying the bike is restricted or not has no bearing on whether the bike is actually restricted or not. If they were serious about this bollocks they'd be dynoing every bike before every test 😀🙄

But good luck in the test OP

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Fwiw, Shannon cannot change the details on a VLC this can only done by the VRO in Wexford.

First off, copy the VLC and keep a copy.

You will need to provide evidence to support your claim for the details you want to change.

And, whilst you're at it, you should change ALL the wrong bits on the VLC. You have to remember, it's not just the power (kW) that has a bearing on your licence, but the power:weight ratio as well, so you need to have the weight corrected as well.

The easiest and simplest way to do is by providing CRO with a copy of the bikes Certificate of Conformity (CoC). This has all the info you want on it, and you just need to make sure the key ones get transferred to the VLC. I went through this process myself, a few months ago.

Have a look at Post #84 here: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/118595491/#Comment_118595491

So, the key fields you want to have filled in on the VLC are:

G - Weight (kg)

K - Type Approval Number

P2 - Engine Max Net Power -

Q - Power/Weight Ratio (kw/kg)

If you don't want to spend €175 on a CoC from Honda, you can try & gather the information elsewhere and submit that. If you take pictures of your VIN and any rating plate on the bike which may have the weight and/or the kw on it - this would help.

Now, the VRO may not accept anything other than a CoC, but not harm trying.

And for those wondering is all this 'huff' necessary: well, yes it is: people are regularly being turned away from their bike test over this.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Such a bloody nonsense but this is where the moral panic about "excessively powerful motorcycles" has led us. Meanwhile the driving test is a low-speed crock all or almost all within 50km/h limit zones. If TPTB really gave a shít about the safety of less experienced motorcyclists they'd be providing them with free advanced tuition and advanced tests.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

All, managed to get it sorted by getting a Cert from RPM in Drogheda and I was asked for proof of output at test today so thankfully I had it. Thankfully passed the test as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Congrats on passing the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Well done :-)

Great to have it out of the way

Ride safe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭geotrig

Congrats ,were you one of the guys I saw today in Shannon doing their test 😁?

Post edited by geotrig on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭geotrig

Dup post

How come RPM were able to give it to you? They're not an authorised dealer, are they? I'd have thought the tester wouldn't have accepted one from them?

Advertisement