Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fill hairline cracks in exterior walls?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

I have received a Warning.

I have been accused of touting for work on Boards.ie.

If you have any problems with what I write here, you could stop reading my comments. Your problem solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,309 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You clearly dont understand how things work around here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Man, this is the second thread I created looking for a bit of advice that ended up with arguments 😄

My initial fear was mica as, yes, I am in Donegal. Don't know of any houses with mica around us, I know that doesn't mean there aren't any or that mine isn't. I mentioned previously, I've had quite a few people look at it, including the structural engineer and loss adjuster who all said they didn't think it was mica, had the signs consistent with further settlement (whether that's normal settlement or issues causes by escaping water or whatever). Obviously, no one can guarantee it's not mica unless I get it tested, €6k is a lot to fork out at the minute, if it starts getting worse fast then I'd do the test.

I plan on getting another engineer (appointed by myself) out to take a look. If he comes to the same conclusion that its nothing to worry about, I'm not sure there's much else I can do. After all, they are experts and could be right. I could keep getting more and more engineers and someone tells me something bad, believe them, and then turn out they were wrong and I'm out a fortune for nothing. Easier to believe the negative things at times.

So, I'll see about this other engineer, could be a while as last I spoke to them they were flat out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Well you might have said you were in Donegal to start....

Ching, ching. If I were you and there's a bandwagon leaving the station soon, you might as jump on it :) Cos everyone else who can, will. Yes, call me a cynic but the temptation will be great.

That said, if you can keep an open mind and just address what needs to be fixed, then fair dues to you!! :)

Thanks muffler.

Yes you are correct. I do not understand how things work around here. Politics are always difficult to understand.

I made the assumption that Board.ie Members request help/ advice from other members.

Therefore I was giving free expert professional advice to members.

Then I received a Warning which stated inter alia as follows:- ……..”which as a pattern of your posting style suggests you are touting for business, which the rest of us avoid”…….. [emphasis added]

This is a totally incorrect accusation as I do not want any work from anyone.

I requested an explanation and none was given.

Therefore it is axiomatic that I do not know how I am to prevent another warning accusing me of looking for work or other offences . Therefore sometimes I include my disclaimer when I feel it’s necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭monseiur

Oops ! I meant to quote OP's post no. 11 I was merely suggesting a practical solution to flood issue. I assume the ground continues to rise ag back of house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,463 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The cracks are slightly concerning but judging from a distance it's unlikely to be a block material defect.

I think there is possibly too much being made of the leaking drains theory here.

The fact that the area floods could be resulting in a similar issue and in some way washing out subsoils to some degree.

A don't see any crack line going through a block which you will typically see on pyrite houses. Vertical cracks top to bottom at external corners are almost a given on pyrite affected houses.

For now, I would simply have some crack monitors fitted and do no more for the next year or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Sounds like a decent plan there. I'll mention it to the engineer about fitting monitors. I've been taking photos at different times to try an ascertain if there are more appearing or not. No corner cracks vertically at the minute. Few vertical cracks in other places but not the corners.

mickdw

you are making a good point of the patterns of cracking, which is not cracking the concrete blocks.

Concrete blocks are constructed with a crushing strength of approx 5 N/mm2. Cement mortar (1:4) has a crushing strength of approx half of that of the concrete blocks.

This is to ensure that any movement in the wall will occur in the mortar joints so that the block bonding is not affected.

Crack monitors ought to be fitted and recorded over 12 months by an independent professional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,463 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Yes except when pyrite / mica is present and at that point the joint material can have superior strength to the block and that's where you get the runs of cracks straight through the blocks at all locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Bernie138

Hi, Chris.

I have a similar problem, although mine looks more suspicious of mica.

What was the outcome of yours?

Did you find a decent drain inspection company covering the North?

Advertisement