Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night rate electricity -- risk of fire

Options
  • 06-04-2022 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

Considering the numerous discussions here about using night rate electricity, there's an interesting article below about one persons experience of a dishwasher going on fire while they were out and they highlight the dangers if the appliance had gone on fire unnoticed during the night.

Which? in the UK have been highlighting appliances that are at risk for several years, I've linked an article below.

I regularly run the dishwasher and dryer/washer during the night and I'm unsure what to do now -- We've smoke detectors in almost every room so we'd be alerted fairly quickly but still it seems more reassuring not to have anything major running at night.

Any thoughts?

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2018/02/revealed-the-brands-linked-to-the-most-appliance-fires/

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/commentanalysis/arid-40844717.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Easy fix, if you have solar run it during the day 😂

But I was also wondering about this in case I ever find a decent night tariff, if I charge the car and batteries at night that's easily a 9-10kw draw, dish washer would be another 2.5kwh on top etc.

I think the main thing here is to not run appliances when not at home because you can't ever be 100%

Anything made by man or machine will eventually fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭irishchris

Had read that report in the examiner alright. Unnerving

• Registered Users Posts: 45,262 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Fridges are 5th on the list. I doubt many plug the fridge/freezer out before bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,840 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Well there's always a risk of anything electrical catching fire at any time. The risk at night is that you won't notice the fire until it's too late

The mitigation IMO is to ensure you've working smoke alarms that are linked, so if one goes off then they all do, no chance of missing that (unless you're my kids, who have slept through the fire alarm)

Houses are also required to have a degree of fire protection now. I can't remember if it's around the kitchen and living room or around the escape route

Tbh one of the biggest problems is that furniture has gotten a lot more combustible in the past few decades (thanks IKEA) so if a fire breaks out it'll get hotter and spread a lot faster

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Advertisement