Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best prepaid data plan for few weeks in USA?

Options
  • 04-04-2022 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭

I can't remember what they are called but there used to be data cards you could buy with X data to be used over 30 days etc.

Looking for one that can be used for one x three week holiday, or one that can be reused either.

I'm on a good plan at the mo, and they're dying to 'upgrade' me but not interested as it's perfect for me, apart from USA hols etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

does your phone have esim capability? posted below on other usa travel thread

anyone needing data for your phone in the US, Airalo (app on playstore or apple) offers esim packages if your phone supports this,this is data only. Enter below referral when you purchase a package, under Apply Code before you finalize payment

• 3 dollars off for you, and me
    • Referral code is BARRY9566
    • packages of 1GB for 7 days costing 4.50USD, 3GB for 30 days costing 11.00USD, 10GB data for 30 days costing 26.00USD

have no affiliation to them, came across them and reviews are solid, prices look better than going direct to US telcos with extortionate prices

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I got a T Mobile SIM when I was there a couple of years ago. It worked fine in my unlocked iphone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Did it come up in Bargain Alerts? I've a Pixel 4a. Haven't taken it abroad yet. Crossing off my list of things to get ready. Found these links a while ago when researching.

https://www.getnomad.app/shop/plan/united-states-esim/30DAY-5GB-id-b340

https://esim.holafly.com/data-plans/esim-for-usa/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Yo @BArra

How did you find activating Airalo? I'm Android 12, flying out next week and unsure if I've set it up right. On my desktop browser it shows this and the app is the same too. I think I've done the APN and so on correctly, I've been on to their support. A little unconfident that it'll work when I arrive.

I'm not setup yet, due out there on 1st May so will have to see then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭lynchie

Activating is somewhat straight forward once you buy the esim. You are presented with a qr code to download the esim. This needs a network connection to work. I think this could be done prior to leaving Ireland. However to scan the qr code on your phone I had to get my wife to take a pic of mine so I could scan it with my phone. Once downloaded it's just a matter of setting the new sim as the default for data and enabling it. Turn on roaming on the new sim and it should work. Sometimes I need to manually select the network and switch between at&t and TMobile depending on the city I'm in.

Im on my third sim and haven't had any issues yet.

Can the Airalo E SIM be installed before arriving in the USA? Or is it meant to be done after arriving there anyone? Thanks. Your discount code worked Barry.

Got the QR code alright. That's a good idea about another phone just in case. Airalo support said:

The eSIM package will show as "active" when the eSIM installed on your device connects to one of the allowed networks, only upon arrival at your destination. When you arrive in the US, the eSIM will search for one of the two networks allowed (AT&T or T-Mobile) and the package status will change from "Not activated" to "Active."

That aside, I'm slightly concerned that once I knock off the US data, it'll fall back on my Irish SIM which I don't want to connect to whilst I'm in the US. It seemed to be doing that at the moment when I was playing things, we'll see. Guess I can turn off roaming when I don't need it, then turn off the Airalo SIM and hopefully it won't automatically go to my Vodafone data.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Don't know what device you are using but just looking at the settings on Samsung s21 and I can turn on/off data roaming per sim. Also under sim card manager there is a setting called 'Auto data switching', with that turned off it won't automatically switch from one sims data to another if there is loss of connection

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭whippet

My sim at the moment is already an e-sim so I'll need to pick up a physical sim when I arrive in June. From looking online T-Mobile seems to be the best bet .. and there is a physical store beside the hotel I stay in on the first night.

However - trying to navigate their website to find what pre-pay sim only packages they have isn't really clear. Has anyone had any experience of using them?

• Advertisement

Pixel 4a. Not sure I've a SIM card manager, although there are articles from last year talking about Pixel owners having issues with SIM managers. If I turn off the eSIM it seems to fall back on mobile data by default. I've vodafone IE set to 'mobile data won't auto-connect', but that doesn't really address it. Don't think I've the option you've mentioned. I'll keep looking around.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I bought an Airalo 1GB Irish esim and tested it out here in before I left. Service was a bit patchy but acceptable. I used Airalo when I went to Georgia (the country, not the state) recently and it didn't work very well at all. I ended up just buying a sim card.

Google Fi might be another option. https://fi.google.com/about/plans/

In the US. I have no Vodafone signal at all i.e. no service and nothing from Airalo either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,093 ✭✭✭mada999

was in NV a few weeks ago... had Vodafone signal for calls and texts ... I went and got an AT&T prepaid sim...paid $30 to top it up and it didnt work.. walked into T-Mobile store and the guy got me up and running, he said he wouldnt charge me if it didnt work... so i'd recommend T-Mobile... cost me $50 in total.. 10 for sim and then 40 top up (10G data) ... as i was only there for a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

If you are with Vodafone they have red roaming for 4 euro a day https://n.vodafone.ie/support/mobile/travelling-abroad.html#redroaming

“RED Roaming on Vodafone Unlimited offers customers our best value roaming and from just €3.99 per day you can get unlimited calls and texts home and within the country you are visiting plus 500MB data. It is available on Vodafone and preferred partner networks. No need to manually select a network, we will automatically select it for you.

In addition, customers who have domestic international minutes included in their plan can also use these when abroad with RED Roaming.

Vodafone Unlimited customers are automatically opted in to RED Roaming.”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,093 ✭✭✭mada999

i actually did look into this but... wasnt really worth it for me as i wanted data more than anything else... 500mb allowance per day is shocking or maybe I read it incorrectly

• Registered Users Posts: 82,254 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Honestly if I was going for a couple weeks, I'd probably just buy a so-called burner phone, those real cheapo ones they sell in plastic. If you have a good carrier for a phone you really like though I would get on technical support for them (Ask for TECHNICAL SUPPORT, use the exact phrase or 90% of the time you're directed to entry-stage CSR reps) and see who they work with in the States and what your options are for using your preferred device. But you know what they say about Valuables and traveling, so for the fuss you may want to think if its worth the hassle. Maybe if I needed my superphone to hook up to 4K projectors for business meetings yeah. T-Mobile still have phones with SIMs in them, so if you have an unlocked, SIM smartphone it should work with a T-Mobile card but you'd have to refer to them for prepay or no-contract rates. You may be looking at 2nd tier providers like Cricket or Mint, they don't own the Towers but it's basically as good for your purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

It is grand for casual browsing, emails and using maps. Prob WhatsApp voice calls also. Will not work for video calls.

My work phone is fine, has service (also Vodafone). But I'm not going to start looking at data on it.

Have emailed Airalo support re my own phone, tempted to delete the esim. Have a few hours until the next flight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

What phone do you have? Maybe the airalo only works with certain bands that your phone doesn't have?

Make sure you don't select automatically select network on the webbing esim, select manual and either pick the at&t or TMobile 4g networks that appear. I did have an issue once where after selecting manual it said no networks found, but left it a few minutes and went back in and refreshed and it started scanning networks.

Pixel 4a. They seemed to think I had added the e-sim to my Vodafone SIM, so they gave further instructions and I've changed that so that's no longer the case.

Turned off my phone, removed the Vodafone SIM and restarted and I'm now getting a T-Mobile network phone signal. The clock is correct and and some old texts from yesterday came through. Partial progress. I was previously getting 'no networks found'.

But when I try and select T-Mobile for Airalo it's not playing ball. I've restarted. When I try and change the Vodafone SIM to work with AT&T as alternative route in it says 'selected network unavailable'.

Running a marathon on Sunday, trying to learn a new city and then going to Colorado and hiring a car next week. Need something to work. Appreciate the posts, thank you.

Test post from LTE/Airalo connection.

Strange behaviour. Have a pixel 5 myself with 3 as my main sim and didn't get any of those issues you had.

It was a bit of a faff. My email thread with Airalo has 19 messages or so. It seemed to be about the fourth or fifth time (each time) in playing around with things that made something work, even so when it did it felt like fluke. So far the signal and plan are fine, but I'd be hesitant to use them again due to the fiddling around it took.

Of course, I'm getting a fair few ads for Google Fi on YouTube.

I setup airalo before boarding at Dublin, was working away just fine upon arrival into the US, happy enough with it so far wad easy enough to setup on my Samsung esim option

use referral code BARRY9566 for 3 dollars off for me and you

The Airalo app worked perfect for me in NY last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Can i ask is the idea that we buy a separate sim for the destaination and use for data during the trip... i plan to go to the Americas later this year and want to get info foir trip...

Thanks...

• Advertisement

Picked out my rental car yesterday and have been using Airalo for Google Maps. All grand, so far.

Edit: went to the supermarket shortly after 7am this morning, came out of the shop and had no signal. Restarting the phone didn't work so had a use Vodafone. All working ok again at my Airbnb.

Post edited by The Black Oil on

Advertisement