Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge electricity bill

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Because they’re being marketed as being more efficient to run than other electric heaters. People are throwing storage heaters that run on night rate electricity and putting these in, when in reality a €50 oil filled radiator or convector heater is going to eat through electricity at the same rate.

When I say efficient, I mean there are no losses, not that they’re cheap to run.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Exactly.

Efficiency is the ratio of input energy (electricity) devided by output energy (heat). For electric heaters the efficiency is very high (almost 100%). However the cost of electricity very high per unit (around 3 times that of gas).

My advice:

1) Do not use pre pay electricity meters. Unit rates are far, far higher.

2) Avoid any form of electric heating as much as possible. This includes the immersion, tumble dryer and electric heaters.

3) Install a device (such as an Owl) so that you can monitor the electricity usage.

4) Change supplier every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,908 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Just to add to the two posts above. The only electrical heating that can be more efficient than regular electric heating are heat pumps. Regular electric heating is 100% efficient. Heat pumps can be up to 400% efficient

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Gusser09

My last bill is 380 euro.

Thats just the world we are in at the moment though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I don’t mean to be pedantic but what you are describing is the coefficient of performance or COP.

• Advertisement

Well yes. A heat pump can put out up to 4kw for 1kw required to run it

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Pistachio19

@howyenow95 has your discount been applied? Did you give a meter reading when you moved in to the apartment? Chances are your bill is based on their estimated unit use so it should balance out if you submit a reading.

Agreed but I guess what we are really saying is that 1 kW of electrical power can be used to generate more than 1 kW of heat.

I think it is important to differentiate between electrical heating that is generated by a current flowing through a resistive element and heating generated by a refrigeration cycle.

I would not consider a heat pump to be “electric heating”. sure it uses electricity but so does a gas boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭crossman47

The way prices have gone, this discussion should be about comparing usage in terms of units, not cost.

• Advertisement
Advertisement