Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Checking of dogs at Dublin Port is a joke!

Options
  • 02-04-2022 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

We have arrived today from UK with 2 dogs. Went to lane 4 and it was only when we held up the red pet in car sign that we were stopped and sent to have the dogs scanned and paperwork checked. There was a dog in the car behind us coming off the ferry but they never went to be checked. I spent a lot of money getting Animal Health Certificates for my dogs but looks like I shouldn’t t have bothered. according to the Irish citizens advice -The importation of pets into Ireland is strictly controlled to ensure that diseases such as rabies are not introduced. No they are not strictly controlled.How many dogs are coming into Ireland each day and not being checked? What is the point of having regulations if you don’t enforce them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

All dogs coming in from the continent are checked and all dogs entering GB from the continent are the same, so it follows that any pets travelling between GB and Ireland are rabies free. Neither GB nor the island of Ireland has rabies in the animal population. Yes it is a box ticking exercise for the most part but unfortunately that's a result of a democratic vote and the consequences have to be lived with.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

No they are not strictly controlled… as there are dogs being brought into Ireland without rabies vaccines or passports as a direct result of the war in the Ukraine. Unlike the Uk who are ensuring any Ukrainian dogs/ pets are serving the mandatory quarantine time. We are not … instead .. we are asking in some cases for home Quarantine! We haven’t had rabies on the island of Ireland for over a hundred years, I hope we are not going to see a resurgence. Especially as you are expected to ensure your dog is passported to bring it to Northern Ireland & from NI to Southern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭hamburgham

What about dogs leaving Ireland through the ports. That is a complete joke. There must be thousands going through illegally from the industrial dog breeding units . Every so often we’ll hear of a couple of pups being discovered in the boot of a car but I have NEVER heard of a single prosecution. At a minimum, the vehicles should be confiscated.

There should use sniffer dogs, it would be no bother to them to sniff out other dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Please forgive if I have this wrong, but is not the UK rabies free? So any dog coming in from there is safe?

I have been traveling by car between the two islands for twenty years, usually with a dog and I have never been stopped either side.

there has been a bit more emphasis on the passport over the past few years but I get the feeling that is just to try and curb the puppy farms shipping dogs over in the back of a Hiace.

• Advertisement

I came through Dublin Port this morning from France. Was asked at customs if we had any animals on board - had the sticker on the windscreen and was sent to dafm for passport etc to be checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭josip

Has anyone landbridged to Europe via the UK this year with a dog? Ours is chipped, EU passported, vaccined and tittered.

But given that we'll be entering France (Calais) from the UK, do we also need a UK Animal Health Certificate?

Yeah I did it a few weeks ago via the tunnel. No animal health certificate needed if you are an EU resident with a pet passport

Advertisement