Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddi not heating water long - config required?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Have you ever used the immersion pre eddi?

Is there a little red button on your immersion?

If you dont see it, It is likely to be under the cover, (turn the eddi off)

There is a overtemperature switch that can be triggered.

Normally the thermostat in the immersion cuts out the immersion before it gets too hot, That extra thermal cutout is an extra layer of protection.

If its popped out, you can push it in with something.

If that doesnt work, the immersion could be busted.

(if unsure, post photos and can work from there.)

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Cool. Thanks for the detailed reply. It's a new tank and new immersion. I'll have a look shortly.

Can I just set the Eddi to 0 to turn it off when I'm having a look at the immersion for the overtemperature switch?

Yeah the button at the bottom of the eddi completely turns it off. I think its on/bypass/off. I think bypass just switches on the immersion. (Or even just flip the mcb for it, to be sure)

Is there any other switches or anything between the eddi and the immersion?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

There's a hollow tube alongside the heating element, inside this is a temp stat that dictates when max temp reached and the immersion will turn off.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

That seems to have been it. Adjusted the immersion and boost boosted not a bother. Solar put a bit into it too afterwards. I'll keep an eye over the next day or so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Liam2021

Just wondering is there a way I can stop the eddie using solor power to heat the water. Currently on energia ev plan so it would be worth more to ne to export all the power generated during the day and not heat water

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭con747

Just turn it off at the switch underneath it? Might be a way in the settings as well but not sure.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

All those good suggestions and will work fine, but easiest is just to use the "Stop" function as that's exactly what it's for.....(under "Settings")

Then you can still have the timers set.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Liam2021

Will this mode keep the schedules I have set for cheap tariff tines?

• Advertisement

No, it's a total stop.

Another alternative is to just stop on the App so then you can control from anywhere, if you change the export margin then you are tied to having to use the physical EDDI as this cannot be changed via the App.

I'm in the exact same boat and just use the App in the morning to turn it off, if evening showers required I check the hot water temp and then can throw the EDDI back on for a while via the App until temps good enough

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

You could just limit the EDDI to 1 amp - Settings - supply grid - device limit.

It will only draw (or should I say use) .24 kilowatts.

Then if the solar is generating the rest will be exported or used to charge your batteries.

Then schedule a boost on your EV rate at the times you want. A boost will over ride the grid supply setting and provide full power to the immersion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I can also recommend* going down the home assistant rabbithole, cause then you can programatically stop/start/boost...

*I am not responsible for your sanity, operating system, budget, or spending the rest of your life chasing little automation tweaks...

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭OO7FITZY

Appreciate if anyone could help with this issue I have today

Eddi has been consistantly heating my hot water every day for the last year since I got it installed as part of an overall solar PV/battery system, but today for some unknown reason it suddenly stopped?

Odd thing is it heated the water for 20 mins this AM as per manual boost instruction, but then when I tried the boost function again later today it did not heat the water

I can clearly see on the myenergi app that is it not pulling down any Kw to heat the cylinder and the battery is not draining either and the water is cold (even though the app says it is boosting as does the screen on the eddi unit)

The myenergi app also shows no usage (except the 20 mins boost this AM) - all other boosts have failed

I have always used the boost function manually through the app and no issues

I've tried the manual boost function through the eddi unit and that also does not work

I've turned the unit off and on using the switch at the bottom of the unit and repeated above steps and that has not worked

I'm lost as to what the issue could be?

Check the over temperature trip on the immersion, it's likely that has tripped

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭ratracer

Do you know if the over-temp trip itself can become faulty?
    I have similar issues, but there is never a feel of that resetting. I can hear the thermostat on the immersion clock on and off if I adjust the temp on it.

THX GRAEMEMK

I'll search it up in the morning - is this something I can do or do I need an electrician?

Some immersions have a red button on top that you press back in to reset.

Others is under the lid (caution, potentially live terminals, switch eddi to off, and not bypass) ones I've seen is a tiny white button that you need to push in with a small screwdriver.

If unsure take a picture and see.

If it keeps happening more investigation is needed.

Over temp trip is unlikely to become faulty, but it does not reset automatically,

The normal thermostat is known to become faulty, and it can be replaced fairly easily on some immersions, some are not replaceable.

My immersion failed completely and the terminals got really hot and that tripped the over temperature on mine. (Melty cables, no eddi just an immersion timer)

had a look at this - can't see a reset switch when I took the cover off

Can't see it, could be new immersion time, it's a bit crusty!

• Advertisement

You could be right

Cyslinder is 20 years old I think and connected to an Eddi hot water diverter that's on most days so prob needs replacing

thx for feedback!

Also, the temp stat is at max, probably lead to shorter life span of immersion element (just a hunch)

afterthought, is it working at all? could just need temp stat replacing

Not working

drawing zero power

I'd try temp stat replacement first to avoid hefty immersion replacement, around €12-€15 from any electrical supplier

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

It should be under the blue cover on those thermostats.

https://community.screwfix.com/threads/non-reset-able-cut-out-on-thermostats-how-do-you-know-if-there.245903/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭ratracer

So in my case, I had my solar installer call out yesterday. Turns out it was the thermostat in the immersion that was goosed! A simple and cheap replacement, seems to be fine now.

Just had the thermostat replaced and still not working

Eddi not showing any Kw going to Tank 1

Used voltmeter at contact points and can see Eddi is not sending power to cylinder

So it seems to be an Eddi problem now

I wonder if the firmware update caused an issue? It boosted once after the udpate but never since and now the termostat is new then problem points back to Eddi

thoughts?

If you put the eddi to bypass, is the immersion heating?

It's on the switch at the bottom

• Advertisement

thx for advice

Moved the switch to bypass and screen on Eddi turns off but blue light on tank 1 is on

There is now hot water coming from the cylinder

App still showing no Kw to cylinder prob because the Eddi hub is off

So back to something wrong with Eddi / Eddi settings?

Advertisement