Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Batteries included in Solar PV systems - do they make more sense with variable tariffs?

• 01-04-2022 1:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

I am looking into getting solar PV installed in my home, and am currently getting quotes in. Up to now I am been swaying away from also getting batteries installed, as they did not appear to make sense in my case as the max solar capacity I will probably be able to install is approx 3.2kWp. However given that energy prices are obviously soaring and there is talk of making people (with smart meters) opt in to variable tariffs (note that ESBN recently installed a smart meter, but I am still currently on the old fashioned 24 tariff), I wonder has the case/argument for batteries dramatically improved? i.e. charge batteries either via solar or via cheap night time electricity and then discharge during peak hours where electricity prices are highest.

Interested to hear peoples thoughts and apologies if this topic has already been discussed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Not sure about others but if there's a cheap night time rate then I'd be charging it then to make up for any shortfall of the solar.

Advertisement