If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)
Hi all, The AutoSave Draft feature is now disabled across the site. The decision to disable the feature was made via a poll last year. The delay in putting it in place was due to a bug/update issue. This should serve as a reminder to manually save your drafts if you wish to keep them. Thanks, The Boards Team.
Hello all! This is just a quick reminder to ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere.

Recommended Dublin Architects

  • 28-03-2022 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5 draktibo

    Hi all,

    Looking for recommendations for an architect to design a family bungalow or dormer. Preferably familiar with Dublin 16 and local planning authority.

    If you have any recommendations, be great to hear from you. PM me !




  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭ C. Eastwood

    You could also talk to Registered Building Surveyors, or Chartered Building Surveyors or Chartered Building Engineers. In relation to the design and planning application and looking after the construction and certification of your new home.

  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭ houseyhouse

    Can’t recommend any because I’m in Galway. But I recently hired an architect and I found her by looking up recent planning applications for similar projects in the area. You should be able to get a map of applications for your area from the council website.

    Personally, I would never build a house from scratch without an architect.

  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 43,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭ muffler

    What's with all the pushing for building surveyors and engineers? Ever hear of architects and architectural technicians/technologists?

  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭ C. Eastwood


    I know and have worked with many Architects and Architectural Technologists and Civil Engineers - I have no problems with them, and recommended them to people.

    Registered Building Surveyors, Chartered Building Surveyors and Chartered Building Engineers are trained and qualified to do the same work as the above.

    Once they are qualified and a member of a professional body and carry Professional Indemnity Insurance, they are good to go 🏠🏡🏭⛪️

    The people here looking for Advice are entitled to know of the Construction Professionals that are available to them.

    Furthermore, I entitled to recommend whomever and whatever I wish. If people do not wish to take my advise, that’s fine also.

    I’m so delighted that I cannot get punished for whom I recommend here.

    If you are in any way upset by any thing I write, or persons whom I recommend,—Then one of my many mottos is - “If someone is going to get upset, -as long as it’s not me - I don’t give a fiddlers😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭ houseyhouse

    They’re qualified to design a building that is safe and functional (very important!) but they are not experts in designing a house that is pleasant to be in, makes the most of its orientation and views, has good flow, is aesthetically pleasing etc. etc. If you’re going to the hassle of building a house, you may as well make it a nice one.

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭ John_Rambo

  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭ Cal4567

    Yes, check out the local authority planning portal. We found an architect who knew our council and their particular foibles well. I cannot stress highly enough how different things are across each council area. That local expertise was what we needed, and it was advice we got from another architect. Good luck.

  • Registered Users Posts: 23,870 ✭✭✭✭ AndrewJRenko

    Dublin 16 covers both South Dublin Co Co and DLR Co Co. You might want to clarify which is involved in your case.

  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭ C. Eastwood


    I gave very helpful information to persons on this forum who ask for information- and persons who may read this forum.

    You decided to advise people in relation to the correct information that I wrote about Building Surveyors as follows:-

    “Ignore this -it’s terrible advice”- (Statement of John_Rambo!)

    It would be very helpful to all concerned that when you decide to state facts - that they are not Fairytale facts which you make up yourself.

    Firstly let me inform you that the purpose of this forum is for People to ask for advice, and give advice.

    This is what I do here, - I give people Free Professional Advice. And the persons looking for advice have the choice to accept or not accept my advice.

    It is a very good forum. It’s a pity that they are persons on the forum, and all they do is criticise people who give advice to those seeking advice.

    Now, you have given people totally incorrect information, which I will now correct.

    You obviously haven’t a clue, which is evidenced by your Statement above.

    I fully understand that some people prefer to remain totally ignorant of actual true facts, and will choose to remain in that frame of mind. And they - and you are entitled to stay that way.

    However, I need to explain the statement I made (on 28/03/2022 at 1.41 pm above) about Building Surveyors for normal minded people reading this forum as follows:-

    • In accordance with Legislation- “The Building Control Act 2007” - there are only 3 types of Construction Professionals Registered by the State, to act in the following roles as follows:-
    • State Registered “Design Certifiers” and
    • State Registered “Assigned Certifiers”.

    “Design Certifiers” are the only persons who can certify the design of a Building as being designed in accordance in with the Building Regulations- in the Building Control Management System.

    “Assigned Certifiers” are the only persons who can certify a Building in the Building Control Management System- as being in accordance with the Building Regulations- when the building is completed.

    In accordance with the Building Control Act 2007 - Construction Professionals such as Registered Building Surveyors, and Chartered Building Surveyors - are entitled to be registered as “Design Certifiers” and also registered as “ Assigned Certifiers”

    Some Chartered Civil Engineers, and some Architects are also entitled to be Registered as Design Certifiers and Assigned Certifiers.

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭ Dudda

    I personally would advise against hiring an engineer, etc and think Eastwoods advice above is poor. Yes they can preform all the necessary technical and legal requirements but they're trained and experienced in a technical aspect, not a designed aspect. When investing so much of your own hard earned money you want to get the best outcome and product you can. An architect will look first and foremost at the design aspect and later look for a technical solution. It's hard to quantify or measure good 'design' so to the untrained eye a house plan from an engineer can look equally as good as a plan from an architect. Usually they're worlds apart.

  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 43,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭ muffler


    Every other post by Mr Eastwood is pushing the roles of building surveyors / engineers even when the task requires a good design input by an architect of technician. Quite frankly his posts come across as those of a teenager just out of college.

  • Registered Users Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭ John_Rambo

    More terrible advice. Engineers are fantastic at engineering but we see the results of their "designs" all over the country, or worse, someone who "designed" their own house and got it "signed off" by an engineer.

    For a new build you need a qualified, creative architect to design the house around your needs & future needs. Most of these engineers wouldn't even take a compass out before lashing out the plans.

  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭ C. Eastwood

    My advice is about Building Surveyors not Engineers.

    However the Engineers you are disparaging and castigating are Chartered Civil Engineers, with minimum of 4 year Honours degree in Civil Engineering, and have to have a minimum of 10 years relevant experience to be registered by Engineers Ireland as Designer Certifiers and / or Assigned Certifiers.

    If a Surveyor or Engineer or Architect are requesting by a home owner to certify a completed (opt out of BCMS) house, the professionals are only obliged to issue a Certificate of Compliance with Planning Permission and the Building Regulations. They have no right to castigate the design or layout of the house.

    You also mentioned that Engineers would not take out a compass. - It is a requirement when applying for Planning Permission that the Construction Professional must purchase, and submit an original Ordnance Survey Ireland Map with the application. The top of this OSI Map is North with a Compass emblazoned on the Map, and there is no need for a compass. Every Surveyor and Engineer and Architect design buildings to receive the best benefit from the Sun.

    You have not yet castigated Architects, and mentioned the one on TV and his inability to stay within budget. Most persons constructing a house cannot obtain a large sum to pay for an Hugh increased between the Estimate and the Final Account.

    I am writing this for the benefit of normal people reading this forum.

    I certainly am not writing it for your benefit because I would be better off hopping my head off a brick wall instead, because you have proved that you don’t have a clue of the role of Constructional Professionals. Your last 2 comments in relation to Constructional Professionals are absolutely unadulterated [email protected]

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭ Dudda

    TV programmes are made for TV, drama and entertainment and bears little resemblance to reality. They imply there's little more to a house than the colour of the window, style of the kitchen and the drama over the budget.

    Designing a house isn't as simple as checking where north is. There is much more to consider. You said "Every Surveyor and Engineer and Architect design buildings to receive the best benefit from the Sun" however only one of these is trained in 'design'. This is the point we're all making which you keep missing. You keep going on about certs but we're all focused on design.

  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭ enda1

    Recommending engineers to design houses has partly lead to our hideous design landscape and stock of appalling homes in Ireland. A modicum of good design should be a minimum requirement when building a house. Go with an architect, obviously.