Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone here ever buy an NFT?

Options
  • 26-03-2022 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

Did anyone here ever buy an NFT? If so, what have your experiences been?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

If you’re thinking of getting one just send me the money and I’ll burn it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I was going to, but I decided to buy an air guitar instead, which was signed by Jimmi Hendrix. Or so I'm told, it hasn't actually arrived yet. Every time after I sent the money that I've called the seller, he just laughs and hangs up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Got a voucher for a boat trip out of dingle before the pandemic, it's still valid but...

Imagine paying someone money for a procedurally generated picture of an ape and a link to a reference in some blockchain?

The whole cryptocurrency space is filled with scumbags, fraudsters and sociopaths ripping off some of the dumbest people on this planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

I personally know someone who made 52k from buying and selling a few NFTs in 2020-21, so I doubt he thinks his money is burned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭arthursway

Make no mistake there is people making huge money off NFT's.

You need to have got in early about a year ago and you'd have been golden.

I personally think there was so much money injected in to the economy since the start of pandemic that so much of it made its way into crypto and NFT's.

I will be personally waiting for a big downturn in the economy to think about investing in stocks cryptos NFT's.

Prices are out of control inflated at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Why ask then? You already know more than most of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Yes buy a mediocre jpeg image and a link on a blackchain, to say joe bloggs owns image jpeg.560777773344 that can be copied by anyone ,most of crypto is a scam unless you are an russian oligarch who needs to transfer money from your bank before it gets frozen by america or eu regulators.or maybe crypto is a greater fool scam eg i,ll buy this for 1000 maybe someone else will buy it from me for 3000 euros.look up tulip mania in the 1800s ,people paid 50 pounds for tulips to sell them on .or beanie babys in the 80s which are now worth nothing. a few years ago it was vr or esports , it turns out theres very little money to be made in esports its all paid for by sponsors .A few programmers can make a cryto coin, call it something weird or trendy and some people will buy it. bitcoin has value because theres a limit to how many coins can be made.its useful for drug dealers , to find a way of sending money around the world.Or else as a way for hackers to get paid by companys they hack . I,m not saying people are not making money by nfts

The art world is used to launder money and theres rich people will buy anything that has the right brand name logo or is getting promoted by someone famous.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I don't want to give away your location, but I am sure I work in your local sorting office. I've seen and played (sorry) that guitar, the parcel is being held here as it didn't have the correct airmail sticker on it.

Many people have and will continue to make money from crypto and NFTs. Many more will lose money from them because of it.

NFTs in particular are basically a pyramid scheme. Those who have and make them need far more people to buy into them in order to make their money, so they create hype and artificial value to make people see it as an investment (which is particularly important given that most of the common NFTs are bullsh*t computer-generated variant drawings with no inherent value themselves, as you're not buying the easily-replicated drawing, you're buying the receipt; your name on the blockchain). And when some are selling, it's easy to just create more new ones and sell those too, until eventually the market is saturated with them, they lose their value, and the ones left owning them are like the people at the end of the worlds dumbest game of pass the parcel.

The people at the top, given that it costs almost nothing to create and sell the NFTs to begin with, will be long gone with the money, and several other tiers below will have profited nicely or at least broken even, but there'll be a lot of people caught up in the hype at the bottom who will have lost a fair chunk of money.

Given how popular NFTs have suddenly become and how many organisations are putting their own out there, the time for being in the upper tiers has passed. Chances are that buying into NFTs now, you'll be one of the pricks at the bottom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

Do you want paying by money transfer or bitcoin to arrange delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I’m sure plenty of “creators” have made money, making money after buying one relies on the greater fool theory.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Over the years the Dept of Education has stashed away millions of crayon drawings made by primary school kids.

When the time is right they'll release them on the market to pay off our national debt.

Everyone of them is intrinsically more valuable than an NFT because they are a physical object hand made by someone who couldn't reproduce them to save their life because they are now a very different person. To turn them into "genuine" NFT's all you need is a large scanner with a proper document feeder.

And then you scan them again because if pages don't line up exactly the new scans will have a different checksum and you can sell the new set because they are different unique NFT's. (Now I'm curious as to how often you can scan a blank page at high resolution before you get matches.)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Remember yer man that was selling plots of land on the Moon ?

Imagine there was a bunch of estate agents pumping up the prices so they could make more commission on reselling bits of paper that no one could use.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭growleaves

It's a scam. You don't own any image or media, all you own is a URL with no intrinsic value.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭circadian

I agree with this. I deal in crypto and have started to do my own development on blockchains.

You're right, the entire space is full of chancers and scam artists from the rug pull shitcoins to Elon Musk pumping bitcoin so Tesla can sell 10% of their holdings to "test liquidity" (make their quarterly earnings green instead of red due to "digital asset sales") then pulling it and crashing the price and burning a bunch of people in the process.

I will say this. The technology itself, outside of using currency but the underlying Blockchain concepts and even NFT concepts have use cases. It's surprisingly easy to deploy your own Blockchain and inject data into it, it's like a large distributed database but instead of having a qurom of say 3 out of 5, the entire infrastructure has visibility of transactions and secures it this way.

Anyway, yeah if anyone is thinking of buying NFTs best of luck.

What does that prove? What is your point?

That's like saying "my mate made money off of a pyramid scheme". Ok. So should everyone get involved in them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

So, not you?

Not even some guy on the net, but some guy on the net's mate?

Hmm, seems legit....

• Advertisement

I know a guy who won a few grand playing Three Card Monte, are you saying it's a scam?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

NFT's should be pretty amazing over the next few years. those who think its a scam or a pyramid scheme (jaysus) - pretty sure you'll find people minting NFTS that wouldnt be worth the cost of minting them as much as there'll be idiots with more money than sense buying everything hoping they'll make money.

Regardless, its a good thing for art and music in the digital space.

How? There are NFTs of art and music being minted by the people who didn't create them. I saw one group online who were selling NFTs of songs/albums from different bands/singers, and half the replies on Twitter were from the actual musicians saying they never gave permission for their work to be made or sold as NFTs.

Found an article on it:

There is no oversight, no real comeback other than trying to create public pressure over it, not for smaller artists who don't have the ability or means to hire lawyers. The marketplace companies are apparently quite slow to react and take down, if at all.

There are already existing copyright laws. NFTs don't solve that problem, if anything they're creating more problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

"Imagine you have a wife and your wife is getting drilled by everyone and you can't do sh*t.

But you have the marriage certificate. That's the NFT."

You don't know what you're talking about if you think it's good for art and music. You haven't done even the most basic research.

Right now, the NFT space is a scam. People buying URLs and pretending they own rights to things when they don't own anything. And the artist gets **** all because most of them don't realize their work is being "sold".

Scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭buried

'Good thing for art' my arse. It's about as 'good for art' as that f**king 'messy bed' concoction that was made back in 1998 and sold for 5 million pounds, that absolutely nobody today gives a fiddlers twat about.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

How are random computer generated pictures good for art ?

Source code here : https://github.com/larvalabs/cryptopunks , a slight change in the colour of one pixel is all you need to create a new version. A 1980's home computer with 0.016Mb of memory could churn out these pictures too fast to see.

Here's the old way of doing it :

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Motivator

The money being made by people on these things is insane at the moment. As someone said above, getting in now and you’re getting in at the bottom.

As with most of these things, especially the crypto scene, if you’re not first you’re last. I work with a woman who’s husband is a self proclaimed “crypto trader”. In reality, he bought Bitcoin last year just before the big surge. He made a few quid and instead of getting out, he went harder. He tied up more or less all their money in it. Last I heard from her on it he’s expanding his portfolio. In other words, he’s fuckèd and is throwing money into other coins gambling trying to get his money back because he’s in the **** having bought bitcoin at €55,000 a coin.

When you’ve lads telling you to get in now at the bottom then you know that a) it’s a pyramid scheme b) it’s definitely not the bottom.

Like the crypto boom of 2017 the vast majority of “investors” will lose money. Criminals, insiders, and some online shills make the real money and then sell worthless crap to gombeens thinking they are going to get rich.

A fool and his money and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

I bought one for about a tenner, not really sure why, sheer curiosity of the process mainly.

I mainly think it’s a novelty but part of me does appreciate the idea of what value is. If enough people agree something is valuable then it is.

Why is a replica of a classic piece of part, I mean a replica that was hand painted and made perfectly to be the same as the original, worth so little compare to the original. What’s the difference, intrinsically they both are just as valuable and as much craft and effort was put into each one, yet the original one can be worth millions more simply because we say so.

I guess the problem with NFTs and Crypto is they are trying to imitate that same idea, but you cannot force value for the sake of value. Those paintings became valuable by themselves. Plus having nothing physically to show for something also sucks.

Advertisement