Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Importing Costs

Options
  • 23-03-2022 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

So me and my partner are looking to finally do our lessons/test, She a Car me a Motorcycle.

There is a great selection of motorcycles in the UK at a great price, anyone know how worth while it is to get them brought over?

Cost wise what steps are involved, is it just getting the Reg changed? is that costly?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

You'll need to pay VRT and Vat.

Look up VRT calculator on Revenue.ie

Proof of import either ferry ticket and/or receipt from transport company.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you have no experience importing then the UK is not a viable option for you. If you decide to import then look at the EU not the UK. As a third country the importation requirements are a lot more onerous than an EU bike. Including getting a customs agent, it’s all very pricey and simply not worth doing any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sicarr

Thanks Both for the info, really appreciated! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭newmember2

I wanted to bring a bike in from UK for parts that I wouldn't be putting back on the road. Where am I stopped by customs and how do they calculate how much I need to pay? I have receipt for the bike for £250

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

doesn't matter, you are still importing a vehicle, and you'll still have to present is such to an NCT centre for inspection. If you don't want to do that, you'll actually have to dismantle it in UK and ship it over in bits.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Import duty too I think. The UK import market is toast.

Customs agent as well. Not a diy affair any longer

Why would I be bringing it to NCT? The bike is being broken up and will not be registered in Ireland. What I wanted to know was where are the customs paid, is it at the port or is every van/truck coming through already processed and in possession of the necessary papers?

Probably best to ask a Customs agent these questions. Anything being brought in to Ireland has to have a whole load of paperwork filled out before it arrives on these shores.

because the NCT office is where you do the importation process and where you pay Revenue it's money. That service is outsourced to NCT by Revenue.

And for that, you're going to need, and need to do, all the paperwork.

https://www.ncts.ie/1195/

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I thought it was well established that if a car or motorcycle being imported is never intended to be used on public roads, it does not need to be registered and therefore no VRT is due.

Is this actually not the case?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Intent means nothing under the law. Either you've imported a bike and are liable for charges or you have not...

There was a case a few years back where this was clarified in respect of some rally cars that were imported and the answer was that they were required to pay VRT

I can't remember when the court case was.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,867 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

But rally cars are used on public roads.

Life ain't always empty.

Yeah I can’t remember the details that clearly, might have been track cars or something like that. Not really that interested in 4 wheel motorsport tbh but I’m sure if you want to have a search for the case it’s out there.

Ode To The Motorist

Rally cars are required to be street legal. Only "special stages" take place on either closed roads or private tracks, there's lots of public road mileage in between which isn't really against the clock but still has to be completed within a given time.

Life ain't always empty.

My question is answered then is it? - There's no customs due at the point of import on the docks? It's all left to the importer to present the vehicle for VRT inspection and the VAT and customs charge is calculated and paid at the NCT centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

VAT and VRT are based on a calculated value, not the purchase price...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭robbie_63

Correct, no one is going to stop you at the port and make you pay anything,

Its always left to the importer to get it registered, etc

I know there's one for cars but you're saying there's also a database of calculated values for motorbikes?

Thanks, if I'm bringing something in that's going to be broken up and is never going on the road then I'd have no qualms whatsoever of not presenting it.

Thats not what I'm saying. They use the age of the vehicles and the capacity to calculate the VRT, VAT & Import Duties are done differently. No one knows how they calculate them, but it's generally higher than you'd expect.

https://www.vrt.ie/faq/vrt-rates-motorcycles/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

VAT and duty are calculated on the invoice price plus transport costs. If you take the pee and fudge the invoice they will look for further proof.

I went through the process of importing a UK bike this time last year.

Life ain't always empty.

You didn't say above...you said "a calculated value". The VRT you pay on a bike has nothing to do with its value.

Oh FFS... The age and capacity are used to calculate a value for the purposes of VRT... Stop being so pedantic and trying to have a problem with everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The c.c. and the age alone determine how much VRT is due. 'Value' is nowhere in the equation for VRT on motorcycles.

It is relevant for duty and VAT however.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement