Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with eircom email account.

Options
  • 21-03-2022 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

My eircom email account is running well with incoming mail set to webmail.eircom.net Port 995. this incoming server requires a password and an encrypted connection. My outgoing server is smtp.upcmail.ie. Port 25. This outgoing server is a Virgin Media server which does not require a password or authentication.

Recently I have been getting notifications on my mobile. These notifications are requesting the credentials of my email set up. I can enter the information with regard to the incoming server. I cannot complete the information for the outgoing server as there is no password, no encryption and no authentication for this server.

I have two email accounts, eircom and gmail. I think this request is somehow coming from the gmail account which does have encryption and authentication for the outgoing server.

As far as I am concerned my email is working fine, however when I send an email to a gmail address the recipient will also receive a warning notice to be careful as gmail could not verify that the email came from eircom.net

I have no idea how to deal with this apart from going to a different outgoing server.

Johnbcnone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

As far as G concern - they cant verify that it was you who send the message and fair play to G to notify their customers that they receive mail from account that cannot be verified as legit - less chance they get ransomware or other crap, thinking it was you that sent the message.

You would be xxx'th person i'd suggest to move-on from eir mail service

• Registered Users Posts: 19 johnbcnone

Thank you for your reply. I don't really want to lose my eircom email. As I see it the problem is with the outgoing server not having any protection. I know from past experiences that the output server will not work if protection is added.

If this is the case then thousands of other Eir customers would have the same problem as myself.

I presume the servers are the responsibility of Eir. Got no response from Eir, will have to try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

The fact Eir are now charging quiet a hefty fee for the email would tell me they're hoping to get rid of it in the not so distant future.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,471 ✭✭✭✭28064212

No, the outgoing server is the responsibility of VM, they're the ones who own smtp.upcmail.ie. However, they will not verify that an email you request them to send is actually from eircom.net - they can't, it's not possible for them to do that. The only way to send "verified" email from eircom.net is by using Eir's email server (assuming Eir have the correct verifications in place, which I believe they do), details here: https://www.eir.ie/support/webmail/external-client-setting-outlook-windowsmail-applemail/. Which leads you to a further problem - you can only access Eir's email server from an Eir broadband connection, which I'm assuming you don't have, so your options to send verified emails are very limited:

1. Move your broadband to Eir (you will only be able to send verified emails while connected to that broadband)
    2. Contact Eir and ask them to allow you to connect to their email server from a non-Eir connection (I would say this is extremely unlikely to happen)
    3. Move away from your eircom.net address

(3) is, by far, the best option. It's quite likely you will be forced to do this at some stage in the short-to-medium term future anyway - Eir do not want to provide an email service. The only reason they do is because it was traditional for ISPs to offer it, and they got stuck with 100,000-odd users of it over the years. The only reason they switched to a paid service is so they can get rid of the vast majority of those users. Then when they do announce they're shutting it down, the only people left to complain will be a handful of die-hards like yourself, which isn't near enough for Eir to care about

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

I note that it's been a year since that last gloomy observation.

Not much has changed except that the service seems to be in even deeper doo doo, as witnessed by this ad for paid email from 2010.

It was described to me as a "glitch" which is something of a euphemism for rendering the service unusable.

Not without a shade of humour which would suggest that an outside agency might be to blame. If so, the advice in the last comment sounds good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭PureBred

Is the eircom.net server down today?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 alexphoenix

My email was down for over an hour today. Tried resetting password. No change. Helpdesk closes at 5pm. Unacceptable for a paid-for service!

Post edited by alexphoenix on

Advertisement