Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calculating gross weekly wage.

Options
  • 19-03-2022 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

4 days @ 10 hours.

1 day holiday pay @ 8 hours

When calculating hours worked for a full week can a company include your overtime to reach 39 hours, then add the 8 hours holiday after? So the total is 48 hours @ standard time.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

What you say is unclear... it seems you on a 4 day week making up 40 hrs and you should get one hour at the overtime rate...

Now if that happened this week with the holiday and you were asked to do full week in 4 days i expect you should have being paid overtime...

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭thefa

Agreed - 8 hours holiday usually comes out of the 39 (assuming contract hours), next 31 at standard rate band the balance at OT. Worth taking a look at the contract and querying with payroll.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 trickyyz490

A five day week with one day as a annual holiday. Payroll is adding the eight hours holiday pay after totalling 39 hours.

So I worked 4 days, 10 hours a day then took the Friday off as part of my annual leave. The next week's payslip had no overtime. Is that correct? 48 hours with no overtime?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I think it is: you did not actually work any overtime, so you would not be paid any. Annual leave is paid at standard rates.

But I am not a payroll expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Mrs OBumble is right. Also, need to read a contract if a 1 hour break is paid or not (go on a payslip calculation or not). Some jobs offer 1 hour (or 30 min) unpaid plus 2 x 15 min paid breaks or similar. And yes, annual leave on a bank holiday is paid as per normal rate.

I think its correct but overtime be after full weeks work 39 hours... not much point in starting a fuss over 1 hour... Unless it changed weekend work was always paid at overtime rate...

So if I worked 12 hours on 1 day, would I only be paid at standard rate for 12 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

What does your contract/terms of employment say about your OT rate?

Overtime is not a right and the rate is not set in statute. I would give you OT at 1.5x on the nine hours but that is because in the company I work for that's how we do it. I also give OT on after hours time even in complicated circumstances. For example if within the hours of one week you are off sick for four days and them work on past your 17:00 finish till 19:00 I would pay the two hours at OT. Why ? Well because we want people to do OT and otherwise they won't bother.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/hours_of_work/working_week.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Yes... my recollection people need to have worked min 32 hours mon/fri in a week before overtime rate kicks in for say Saturday... this info is from some time ago but things are unlikely to have improved in recent times...

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭mcgragger

What kind of job do you work?

Holiday pay shouldn't be added unless you applied for a day off.

Bank holidays are an entitlement

This question is hard to answer without understanding your contract of employment and the nature of your work

That depends on the place of work.

Overtime kicks in after 8 hours in a day as a tradesman per union rates

On the basis of what your saying if a tradesman on hour rate works say 3x12 hour days 36 hours in a week they will get 42 hours paid at normal pay rate assuming overtime 11/2 times hourly rate... i doubt if any employer would allow this...

It may be that the rates have improved but i doubt it... if you are currently in a union you likely correct...

Core hours must be done regardless of how many days OT get done on any day.

the only way the employer can avoid paying over time is if a person is absent on sick leave and there's no allowance for sick pay in a contract. The OT hours would be used to make up the standard week in that case.

Our overtime starts after 8 hours is done every day.

That's what i said... when i was in the trade if a person was off for one day during the week the person was not penalized if they worked overtime on the Saturday... i think it was agreed with union and would not be accepted every week... i know as i tried it and was sorted out...

This is actually Gov rules...

With regard to authorised extra attendance during the normal (Monday to Friday)

working week the overtime arrangements described below will apply for

attendance in excess of 37 net hours

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There are no government rules about overtime in general- except that you cannot average more than 48 hours/week.

In some industries there are joint labour agreements (name may be different now) which have specific rules, which may cover overtime. But we don't know if the OP is covered by one of these or not .

I work in construction and I was told I needed to takes days off to use my allocation of holiday days or they would not be carried over to the next year. So essentially I was taking home lower pay because there was no overtime.

They are just fallowing the rules as they are only allowed pay you for how many work days in a given year...

• Advertisement

If you dont take your annual leave then your are potentially a cash liability to the company - they owe you money for holiday pay if you have worked the leave up pro rata in the year. The rule is around a day and three quarters per month worked. Bank holidays are not considered part of this - they are an automatic entitlement

Thats why they wont let you carry over annual leave into a new financial year.

How do you work out you were taking home lower pay?

How do you work out you were taking home lower pay?

Because with annual holiday included in week's payslip there's no overtime.

Did you work overtime?

If you did then you are entitled to be paid for it. Its that simple.

Your annual leave has nothing to do with it

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Depends on your contract.

If your hours on the contract says standard hours between say 6am to 9pm would be set at standard hours. After 9pm at time and a half up to midnight. After double time to 5.59am. This also can be in the form of time off in lieu. so mainly getting a flat rate. If you are on casual contract then this could apply. I know of a contractor that has the hours set this way.

If you worked 12 hours and you are not paid for lunch or breaks then you would be paid 11 hours.

Holidays are not included in hours worked in regards to over time. It is paid at flat /standard rate.

Would you really rock the boat for one hour?

Best to check your contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭dennyk

This does depend on the overtime terms in your contract, but it would be fairly typical for overtime rates to be paid only for overtime hours actually worked. Annual leave, holiday pay, TOIL, and other such paid time that isn't actually working time usually wouldn't be counted as working hours for the purpose of overtime calculation or be paid at overtime rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

In many places I've worked, overtime is only paid on any hours worked in excess of 39 hours. So, (fictional hours) if you worked 15 hours on Monday, 15 hours on Tuesday, 3 hours on Wednesday, 3 hours on Thursday and 3 hours on Friday, you only worked a standard 39 hour week and therefore got no overtime. Once you've reached 39 hours in work that week, any additional hours are overtime.

If you are entitled to holidays, they are paid at the standard rate.

Legally, you must take 20 days holidays per year. Some places let you carry over 5 working days. I can understand your employer making you take any days so that none are carried over. Nothing unusual here.

Here's a question. Have you ever taken two weeks holidays together? I'm guessing if you did, and you got no overtime pay for those two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

If you are on a daily pay scale as in 8 hours a day then you should be paid for the extras each day but if you are weekly then OT rate will only kick in after actually working those hours.

Last few places I was in A/L was be tracked under a separate log/system code and always at standard rate. As such, it was never beneficial to work extra hours any week where you were taking A/L as those hours would only be paid as standard time (or at least the first 8 of them) because OT only kicked in after 40hours.

That's interesting as i without thinking only of normal day 8 to 6... i thought in industry outside these hours overtime... Hotels shops were always different... it seems now a lot of employment have contract hours...

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Some building companies have to do this as they do not when work will start or finish. E.g. deliveries in the early hours or working out of normal office hours.

Also in the case of shift work then hours are also different as in construction you could be working 12/13hour shifts and have days off during the week and not just at the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

That sounds mental to me.

Our flat week is 40 hours, but most of us do 2.5 hours weekly overtime, if we take a days (8 hours) annual leave we always get the overtime at time and a half.

Nothing in a contract about it but I guess people wouldn't do the overtime that week if they werent getting the extra pay for it.

Advertisement