Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid on dogs coat

Options
  • 18-03-2022 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering wound anyone know if someone can catch Covid from playing with a dog that has been touched by a Covid positive person?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I think you need to self isolate and antigen test your dog immediately!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

It is a possibility, dogs fur can act as a fomite, same as any surface you touch. But in the research there’s little to no evidence of it. There’s also a very minimal chance of them catching covid and transmitting it as humans would between each other

https://www.mdpi.com/1999-4915/13/7/1357/htm?fbclid=IwAR29ROTUTvFJNTtxiGhuy3z_eKcBS_Tdcwuwny7E0wKm4Svjcvz_DhS5Kuo

https://www.wormsandgermsblog.com/2021/09/articles/animals/dogs/covid-review-in-animals-updated-part-2-dogs/?fbclid=IwAR1yIUiwjkPZxnhDEs9Hdb2hTwpcBoId-1NoRtQ2yH-XEqlEHXGJcpgQExA

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Yes !

I think you need to test yourself and your family daily for the next 15 days - all the while everyone and your close contacts isolating.

While you're at it if any of the tests are positive take a picture of it and post it on social media!!

Jesus H Christ are you f*cking serious ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

A good quality hazmat suit could also help . The trick is getting the dog to wear it though .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I meant this as a serious question.

I have it and I’m not sure if I have my dig with me and touch him can someone else touching him after potentially catch the the virus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,809 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

While possible, I'd say it is extremely unlikely.

There seems to be little evidence of infection through surface transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

Is this a joke question? Are you so consumed with the government fear mongering, you think you can catch covid from dogs hair? If so then every groomer in the country & they were allowed to work all through Covid would be dead !! If you post this on social media you will have an avalanche of dogs being abandoned or given up. A lot of the country are still terrorized by Covid, dont, FFS poke the bear and cause harm to innocent dogs, please. Dogs have amazing immune systems not like humans.

Dont allow anyone to touch your dog thats a given in any situation, especially in this litigious country we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Groomers were closed during a lot of covid, deemed non essential same as human hairdressers. That’s not to say that everyone followed that rule, plenty didn’t, but officially groomers shouldn’t have been open. Dogs hair is a surface same as anything else, so if someone with covid had their face all up in their dog and was coughing and sneezing all over it, there is a possibility of the virus being carried, although from further research now that we know more about covid it seems to be very rare

This is a completely hysterical overreaction to what was a simple question from someone who was simply fearful of spreading a harmful infection that they know they have.

Pot and kettle springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

The head of ICU in the local University hospital told me same time ago that dogs do not carry the virus... The question arose as when the country was in total lockdown i was outside the persons house... we were doing what was advised and i asked about the dog...

• Advertisement

Really, every reaction is hysterical to you lot on boards if it doesnt agree with you. The country was held to ransom by fear for two years and the fear is still harbouring in a lot of people therefore it is necessary to blow that fear out of the water and allow people to resume their normal lives & not allow them to concoct spurious theories that can do harm to others & animals. ебать ти

• Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭blackbox

I'd say if you sneezed directly onto the dogs hair and then someone stuck their face into the same spot on the dog's coat and inhaled, they might have a chance of getting it.

You are claiming that asking a simple question is causing harm to dogs. That's barking😂

All jokes aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

I’d just like to add.

I went 2 years without catching the virus.

I thought it would be extremely mild. I’m a fit and healthy 30 year old male. I drink every 2nd weekend.

So **** fed up of hearing about covid I actually couldn’t care about it anymore.

I then picked up the virus last Saturday while out at a christening. I thought it would only be a slight cough which it started out with and was manageable.

I have now been bed bound since Wednesday. This thing is a **** nightmare. Breathing is hard. I couldn’t eat for 3 days.

This is the sickest I’ve been in my adult life. This virus is not something everyone should just get and deal with. It also should be still taken very seriously.

I’m actually if the belief masks should be reintroduced in some settings for the time being.

I hope I never get this sick again and I’m glad I’m young.

I was double jabbed for the record but not boostered.

Regarding the dog question, I’ve wondered the same thing as my dog has come between me and my pregnant partner for a few days now and hope he’s not passing the virus on his coat. The question is completely reasonable…… people like you is why more people will needlessly die.

I likely wouldn’t have this if whoever infected me acted carefully and didn’t go to the pub that day if feeling unwell. Because I’ve been isolating but I know plenty who haven’t. Makes me sick. My own brother and his family included last year…..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OP I hope you’ll be on the mend soon? My friend had the same predicament in the last couple of weeks and isolated in her room away from everyone including her dog. She wasn’t taking any chances as she’s living with others who are medically vulnerable..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Same age as you Bigmac, I got it at a gathering of friends last Saturday I had not met since November 2019. I’ve had 4 vaccines and very much feeling it, I shudder to think how someone with only the first 2 is feeling.

The problem with omnicron is you can be contagious before your symptoms develop though

Regarding my dog, he heard my getting up to the bathroom during the night and when I came back he was sitting on my bed, it’s quite hard

Ok guys i am now trembling with fear and i will shoot my dogs when i get a sniffle so they dont infect my neighbour 2 miles up the road jeez ! the problem is you all live on top of each other therefore are getting re infected. If you werent so gregarious you'd be a lot better off. I expect a ton of Covid after paddys day & the races & the 4 day holiday weekend so i will wear my mask if i need to go anywhere there are groups of people especially drunk ones ! Everyone has the right to protect them selves if you dont you get it but again leave the dogs out of it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Mary2021, cut out the sarky tone please, you're only trying to annoy people by using it. If you can't be respectful towards other posters, don't post. I am aware of your previous username and I know I had to warn you against this very same issue multiple times then too.

Thanks,

DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The only safe way for me as my immune system is down due to CFS/ME has been and is to stay in isolation. I was warned even before covid that even a simple cold was very dangerous. It has been easy out here as we are few on the island. Deeply thankful that so many are being careful and understanding. The cats are wonderful company and comfort.

Advertisement