Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to find Lurpak spreadable butter?

Options
  • 15-03-2022 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi,

I have read Lurpak is one of the best butters on the world, cannot confirm that as I haven't tried, I believe Irish butter is excellent but want to try it.

Does anyone know where to find it in Ireland?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I don’t think I’ve ever seen it in Ireland. It’s bog standard Danish butter, their equivalent of Kerrygold and a huge seller in the U.K. where it has effectively pushed out Anchor of NZ and most domestic brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭phormium

You used to be able to get it, was popular with cake makers as it's whiter than our butter so makes whiter buttercream for the now so trendy buttercream wedding cakes! The fact that it's whiter I'm thinking means it's not as good as our butter but I could be wrong!

I have bought butter in the Polish supermarket, the one in the cow print pack, it's also light in colour and I thought it was delicious, it's unsalted though so that could be the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

Ffs what’s wrong with Irish butter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭thomil

I’ll have to check again but I think that M&S should have it, at their usual extortionate prices of course. I saw it in the M&S in Cork City not too long ago.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Irish butter is yellow as the cows eat grass so it comes through. Oour lovely Irish cows have loads of beta-carotene which is what makes butter yellow.

Whiter butter the cows eat grains, Don't go to America its the colour of a glass of milk! Manky stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Don't bother OP. It's more readily available here than (UK) than Irish butter and while it's not the worst, I'd drive a few miles for a bit of Kerrygold

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Are you able to find Kerrygold? Pretty easy to find in quite a few UK supermarkets. maybe just here in Manchester?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Think I seen it recently in Tesco NI.

Could try Tesco in South?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭SteM

We've gotten it in Iceland in Tallaght for our neighbour. €5 a pack though! The wife tried it and said it was very plain.

It's not butter. It has rapeseed and water in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I think most of the big brand supermarkets around here (essex) have it as standard, not in the foreign section or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

i dont know but i know it was invented in 1903 (1901 actually)

It’s not a patch on Irish butter which can be easily found in most British supermarkets. The French butter with sea salt is also excellent if you fancy a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭put_the_kettle_on

Exactly this. It's been buggered about with to render it spreadable straight from the fridge.

I wonder sometimes what effect all these plastic substitutes have on us. My dad wouldn't be talked out of Flora, " but it's grand for the aul cholesterol "

Was it though ? He was eating statins like smarties and numerous other cardiovascular meds and none of did any good.

Last time I had bloods the nurse giving the results commented on my stats asking what sort of low fat diet I was on. I'm not. I eat butter, meat, veggies, I like a drop of wine.

What I never go near though is anything plastic, processed etc.

Was in Iceland Tallaght earlier, it's gone up to €6.50! Rang the neighbour to see if she wanted us to pick some up - she declined.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 maxymo

😲 Thanks SteM I will give it a try next time I see an Iceland shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

You might have to head north or to the uk. I think all their stores in the republic are closed down due to Brexit/bureaucratic nonsense.

I know the one in Tallaght is still open but with almost no stock. It's due to close in a few weeks from what I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 maxymo

😂 it looks like my curiosity of trying an specific butter will bring me to travel to another country just to get it |O| oh well some day will be. thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Lurpak spreadable might have, but lurpak is just regular butter. Definitely not as nice as Kerrygold though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭phormium

I would be less interested in Lurpak spreadable than the block, anything spreadable has oils or water added to keep it soft, less taste than the real thing in my opinion.

Advertisement