If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)
Hi all, The AutoSave Draft feature is now disabled across the site. The decision to disable the feature was made via a poll last year. The delay in putting it in place was due to a bug/update issue. This should serve as a reminder to manually save your drafts if you wish to keep them. Thanks, The Boards Team.
Hello all! This is just a quick reminder to ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere.

Garage conversion

  • 15-03-2022 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27 Hello2021

    Looking for advice please.My garage is 23 ft x 20ft, has a concrete floor construction, made of blocks and plastered on outside, tiled roof with beams exposed, roller door, regular door and 1 window, water & electricity connection. I want to convert it to rent it out. Do I need a contractor or individual trades people? I cannot do any of the work myself due to no skills or knowledge. I would need to replace roller door with patio door, insulation, inside plastering, more sockets & lighting, tiling, painting etc. Am I allowed to rent it out ? Do I need planning permission?


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭ Gusser09

    Id go contractor. Less hassle for yourself. One thing i wouldnt skimp on is insulation. That includes the floor. It wont be cheap but will be worth it in the long run especially with esb prices going mental.

    Its a handy enough job for someome to be honest.

  • Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭ Gusser09

  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Hello2021

    Thank you. Any idea of pricing for materials and labour work ? I will try to keep costs low to decorate ie lino instead of tiles, source 2nd hand goods and materials where possible.

  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭ C. Eastwood

    You should get a Builder to do it.

    First you should retain a Registered Building Surveyor or a Chartered Building Surveyor or Chartered Building Engineer to give you advice and they retain the Builder for you on your behalf, when the have agreed the all the works that are to be completed, and the cost of same before the works commence.

  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Hello2021

    Thank you

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭ T-Maxx

    You definitely need planning permission - this should be your first step as it may bomb your plan altogether.

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭ T-Maxx

    Oh forgot to mention if you're on a domestic waste water treatment system you'd need to ensure that it has sufficient capacity for the additional loading as well.