Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Kona 64kWh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Obviously all used cars have gone up price and EVs especially. I think into the future though you are going to see drop off in resale value for low range EVs. Not as steep as a second hand diesel/petrol but still significant compared to long range ones. When the dedicated Octavia driver finds he/she is 'forced' to go EV in 3,4,5 years time, and doesn't want to spend 40k± on a new EV, is a leaf 40 or 28/38 ioniq with 200km range going to seem like a viable option? I don't see it.

ID3, Kona, Niro, Soul etc. thought would be something that would work for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Oh I agree. A 2019 28kWh Ioniq will always be worth less than a 2019 64kWh Kona. Even though the former is far nicer, much bigger are far better specced. Because it has a small battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Hi again folks.

So just doing a little bit of thinking for this car arriving for my MIL.

Does anyone have any idea if it is possible to buy a home charger that I could have installed and how much that might cost for the charger? I'm not worried about the cost of installation as my neighbour is an electrician and will do it.

Is there anything I need to be aware of with the charger? I would like it to last a while as I'm thinking of buying a used eletric car at some point for myself once I have clarity on my next job!

Presuming your MIL doesn't have solar PV nor will get it in the future, any charge point will do. Even second hand. You can buy it yourself, your neighbour the electrician will install it for you and will sign off for the paperwork for the grant (€600). Should cost you less than that, so in other words: completely free. Make sure it's a tethered charge point (with a fixed cable), this is so much handier

For yourself, again the main consideration is if you have or will get solar PV (and I would encourage anyone to do this and go as big as you can with the solar)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

My wife and are put a deposit on our new car at the weekend.

64kw 192 Kona, in a flat grey.

Really impressive looking car, upgrading from a 172 Ioniq, so looking forward to the extra range.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You should be getting north of 400kms in this weather non-motorway, you can also look forward to a new battery as they are replacing them

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Breckle

Congrats! We just put ours on 64kw 2020 model. I know which one yours is based on how few are on sale at the moment and following them so closely 😂 So excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭fafy

Congragulations, i’m curious, when is the expected delivery date ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Was just looking at the specs for this. Am I right that there's no adaptive cruise control, even on the top model? That's shocking if true. It has FCA, so clearly has the radar fitted, and from what I can tell it's available in other markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

Yes, unfortunately for some reason Hyundai have omitted that across the board in Ireland despite Kia having it on its cousin, the Niro. It also means that another feature I really like in my Niro is missing from the Kona, specifically the smart recuperation, which varies the regen level automatically.

Seemingly FCA is actually reliant on a camera rather than the radar though, and the usual radar box is definitely not present in the front grille on the Kona.

• Advertisement

Yes shocking it wasn't standard even on the base €39k on the road model that went on sale in 2019. It was standard on the 2017 €25k on the road Ioniq. Irish spec of the Kona EV was really mean, Hyundai squeezed every cent out of it. We lamented a lot about it here on boards back at the time 😂

Can't blame Hyundai really though, the Kona was the ONLY long range EV for sale in Ireland (short of the Teslas), people just bought it for the range. They could get away with it, so they did.

@fafy Oh this isn't a new order, it's a second hand car, we should be picking it up next weekend, all going well

@Breckle Oh, you have quite an eagle eye it seems, best of luck with your new motor too! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

It's amazing how your mindset changes.

Before I got my current car, I couldn't understand how people would/could trust adaptive cruise control. Surely it'd go wrong, you'd have to drive with your foot hovering over the brake just in case, etc.

Now I've gotten used to it, I'd never buy another car without it!😆

Indeed. While I'd never trust it blindly (as much because of erratic drivers and being prepared for the unexpected as any concern about the system itself, admittedly), and still obviously keep my foot brake-adjacent throughout, it makes driving on roads with traffic moving at a moderate to high speed a far more relaxed affair. People pulling into questionable gaps in front is somehow less irritating when the car responds to it for you! 😅

Active cruise with start and stop is a godsend if you do a lot of M50 peak traffic driving. I don't think the Hyundais did start / stop though back then, my Ioniq didn't. If the car was stopped for more than a couple of seconds, you would have to actively start the car again by pressing a button or the pedal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Yeah, mine does that. Not a massive hardship, but a slight annoyance none the less.

Modern cars stay active all the time yeah? Fierce handy that.

Many modern cars (incl. all Teslas) start driving by themselves again once traffic starts moving. In fact there is one car in the world, a Mercedes, that is officially classed as autonomous driving level 3. This is exactly the same as level 2 (as the Teslas), with the only difference that in certain (very limiting) circumstances, the human driver is no longer responsible, but the car is. That's where things are headed. Soon.

My MY21 Niro is as the Ioniq was described, any more than a couple of seconds and you've to intervene to resume moving (though it will ping to notify you the car in front is moving off). I think some of the higher end ID's with the more full-featured travel assist probably to stop-start more extensively, and the the new Korean offerings (EV6/Ioniq 5) may also do this, but I don't know either way for sure.

Hi all. Can anyone help me out. I can’t find the owners manual for the Hyundai kona electric (2019). I need to see the bits about child seats. Specifically where child seats are allowed, and if one is allowed in front seat. Can anyone post pictures of the relevant parts of the manual for me? Thanks so much in advance.

• Advertisement

Thank you - but that is still the US/Canadian version.

Picked car up today - here it is for anyone else wondering :)

Well wear!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭10-10-20

What's with a Hyundai main dealer wanting to install Maxtrek budget tyres on the Kona EV?

Maxtrek also trade under the super shytty sounding "Sonny Tyre" name. Any of the spec details which I can find for Maxtrek all show a rating of E for fuel economy and wet-grip... on an EV?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Mine came with Kapsen tyres on the front. They had obviously been replaced as there are Nexen on the back. The Kapsen are shite, especially with that much torque going through the front wheels

Pick this up on Saturday and we have to say we're thrilled with it!

Drove our Ioniq on one last spin from Waterford-Westport on friday, which required 2 stops to change!

The Kona, with a fully charged battery got us home, 312kms, with 92kms remaining. Averaged 15.4kw/100kms for the journey.

Nothing to be sniffed at.

That's good going. So you were looking at getting the whole advertised 400km range out of the battery! You must have kept the speed low or off the motorways for most of it?

Surprisingly, all the motorway driving was at the speedlimits of 100 or 120.

Actually quite shocked at the range.

• Advertisement

Now that's very good.

Enjoy!

Advertisement